do you use a lid on your cooking pots?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
neilus 16 Aug 2014
Hi
As title; I never really gave it any thought before, but of course its logical that things will cook more quickly with a lid, thus saving fuel. Any thoughts chaps?
valjean 16 Aug 2014
In reply to neilus:

its true...

use a lid that is also a plate/frying pan.
neilus 16 Aug 2014
In reply to valjean:

Im a one pot wonder! Ive seen these pot sets with the lid/frying pan/plate thing. As a lid, ok but does anyone really use these bits as frying pans? I think ill make a lid from a disposable bbq - this type of tough alu foil is pretty handy stuff...
 UKH Forums 16 Aug 2014
This thread was started in the EXPEDITION & ALPINE forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Climbing Gear
Post all your climbing gear-related questions here. You know how you love comparing Friends with Camalots!

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/info/forums.html
neilus 16 Aug 2014
In reply to UKH Forums:

Apologies to the mods; wasnt sure which forum to post in.
In reply to neilus:
Not just true for camping. I regularly have to remind my other half about this simple time and cost saving point at home.
Post edited at 16:57
 Siward 17 Aug 2014
In reply to neilus:
Always, yes.

Unless boiling green vegetables, leave the top off then to keep them green...

Although, looking that up, Heston says that's an old wives' tale.
Post edited at 17:14
 ewar woowar 17 Aug 2014
In reply to Siward:

>Heston says that's an old wives' tale.

He also puts bacon in icecream!

;~))
alexgoodey 19 Aug 2014
In reply to ewar woowar:

I'm a one-pot guy.

Yes a lid helps (should save about 10% fuel), so does insulating the pan walls, actually an equally large surface area. I use a cut up fire blanket, which means I can hold a boiling pan safely in my bare hand, and it can stay on the flame and will never burn.

As above, you can make your own lid if you don't want to carry something heavy, but mini frying pans are good, and more practical (you can cook in it and eat out of it) than just having foil, or a lid without a handle.

The vitamins (mostly vitamin C) comes out in the water when you boil veg, so you really should drink that (or recycle it) into a broth or something. You've spent all that fuel and energy heating up water, and carrying friesh veg to cook, so why not utilise it?

I tend to use oil, it's higher calorie and faster to cook, and if you use a nice oil (infused) then adds flavour too.
needvert 19 Aug 2014
In reply to neilus:

Reduces the moisture escaping, thus keeping surrounding enclosed space drier.
 Xharlie 20 Aug 2014
In reply to neilus:

The lid is mandatory. If you know how to drive a pot-on-a-stove, you can save fuel with it but that is not why you carry it: Nothing beats a fresh steak at the top of the hill on the first day and all the other knobs with their couscous-and-tomato-paste will know it!

Minimalist meals are for concentration camps, not mountains!
 tjin 20 Aug 2014
In reply to neilus:

I always use lids, not just to save fuel, but also time. I always got the munchies and can't wait a minute longer...
 gear boy 28 Aug 2014
In reply to neilus:

bit of tin foil only

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...