GAB Tech Scissor Crampons - any good?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
G0rdrilla 14 Aug 2014

Just wondering if anyone had any opinion on or any experience with the GAB Tech Scissor Crampons?

Thanks.
Post edited at 11:19
 TobyA 15 Aug 2014
In reply to G0rdrilla:

Aren't they about 30 years old now?
 DaveHK 15 Aug 2014
In reply to TobyA:

The design is that old at least. Salewa Messner scissor is how I first saw it.
 ben b 15 Aug 2014
In reply to G0rdrilla:

I had a pair in 1992 (!) - fitted nicely on Asolo Supersofts, but were hazardously unstable on 101s. The instep posts were too narrow and the rand pushed them off the boot sole.

As they were step ins they were sold on as a result.

Nice crampons if they fit the boot. Also had an articulated/flexible connector that could have lengths changed between boots by screwing up/down on a thread. IIRC also available in a very retro pink. No idea they were still made.

Cheers
b
G0rdrilla 15 Aug 2014
In reply to G0rdrilla:

I bought some Salomon Super Mountain 9's off Ebay for a very good price and they're hardly worn and they came with a new pair of GAB Tech scissor crampons! They are step in type and seem to fit the boots well but obviously wrong time of year to try them out in the UK. They've got like a threaded spring to adjust the length of the crampon and two allen key screws to adjust width of front section of crampon. I might keep hold of them and see how they perform.
 TobyA 15 Aug 2014
In reply to G0rdrilla:

I think people get rather precious about crampon fit. It these clamp on your boots securely and there's nothing on them that looks like it is likely to snap then you'll probably be fine. If I remember right they're just classic 12 points like things like G12s now. Just be aware they must be rather old. I've broken the frame of crampons before but that was after a lot of use, so it is possible to break the metal bits on crampons.
G0rdrilla 15 Aug 2014
In reply to TobyA:

In reply to TobyA:

Thanks for the info; these I have acquired are most certainly new. Not a mark on them, the webbing strap is new and they are razor sharp. I googled GAB crampons earlier and found their webiste. They still trade on Ebay. Please see below:

http://www.gab-tech.de/english/products.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...