Mountain Equipment Compressor jacket VS Rab Xenon X

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CharlieMack 10 Aug 2014
As title states.
Both primaloft one, both just under 400g.
Unless anyone has any other suggestions? Needs to have two hand pockets, a hood and primaloft one. Needs to be compressible (the main reason as it's replacing a 400g synthetic jacket that doesn't pack down at all).

And ... Go!
In reply to CharlieMack:

I have a Compressor, used at as belay jacket last winter. Packs small, hood goes over helmet, bought it half price, I like mine.

Stuart
OP CharlieMack 10 Aug 2014
In reply to Stuart the postie:

Cheers. Just need to find myself a half price one now...
 rgold 11 Aug 2014
In reply to CharlieMack:
> As title states.
> Both primaloft one, both just under 400g.
> Unless anyone has any other suggestions? Needs to have two hand pockets, a hood and primaloft one. Needs to be compressible (the main reason as it's replacing a 400g synthetic jacket that doesn't pack down at all).
>
> And ... Go!

I think you might want the Rab Xenon. First of all, they aren't both Primaloft 1. The Rab uses that, the MH uses Thermic Micro TK which some reviewers (eg Outdoor Gear Labs) think is not as good. Second, you seem to be comparing the MH Compressor JACKET to the Rab Xenon X. The jacket doesn't have a hood and comes in a little heavier than the Rab. It is probably a touch warmer. If you want a hood, you have to look at the MH Hooded Compressor, and that is 100g or about 25% heavier than the Rab. Moreover, according to Outdoor Gear Labs, the Rab is more compressible, stuffing into one of its own pockets and easily carried on the harness.

Another thing to consider is how you intend to use it. The Compressor has thinner side panels to dump heat while moving. Of course, they'll also dump heat while not moving, so one question is will this be a winter garment worn while moving or more of a spring-fall alpine summer piece used more for rest stops and belaying.

The Rab hood doesn't really go over a helmet. I think the Hooded Compressor is tight but will make it. The Rab hood doesn't cinch around the face, it just has elastic trim, so it isn't very functional in the wind. The MH Hooded compressor has a drawstring on the hood so it will be much better in a gale.
OP CharlieMack 11 Aug 2014
In reply to rgold:

Thanks for your in depth reply. However you may wish to reread the title. Mountain equipment not mountain hardwear.
 timmeehhhh 11 Aug 2014
In reply to CharlieMack:

I have the ME Compressor and loved it for the Alps this summer. During a rock climb in chilly weather it kept me warm on windy belays and it was breathable enough to prevent overheating during the climbing. Can't wait to take it ice climbing this winter!
OP CharlieMack 11 Aug 2014
In reply to timmeehhhh:

Think im fairly sold on the ME one. Nicer feeling face fabric and better hood. Also marginally less insulation in sleeves and hood. Just need to find a cheap one now...
 rgold 12 Aug 2014
In reply to CharlieMack:
> (In reply to rgold)
> You may wish to reread the title. Mountain equipment not mountain hardwear.

Oopsie. Two Compressor's. Who knew?

Well, I don't know anything about the ME version, but total ignorance has never stopped folks from giving their opinion on the internet before.

I'd say the main difference in construction is that the ME version is quilted, which means the Rab is likely to be a bit warmer and more windproof, perhaps a bit less breathable. On the other hand, the ME version has what they call an "adjustable" hood. If this means a drawstring face closure, than that's an advantage over the Rab.
 BnB 12 Aug 2014
In reply to CharlieMack:

In reply to CharlieMack:

Would it have ruined the performance of either to make the hood an inch bigger to accommodate a lid without squeezing your armpits? No, but it would push the weight over 400g and ruin the marketing objective.

The Rab one looks better btw
 JayPee630 12 Aug 2014
In reply to BnB:

They should do what most companies seem to do, make the hood bigger and just lie a little about the weight to keep it sub 400g.
In reply to rgold:

> The Rab hood doesn't cinch around the face, it just has elastic trim, so it isn't very functional in the wind.

I've got one and I find it very good in the wind when fully zipped up. It seems to stick to your forehead!
OP CharlieMack 12 Aug 2014
In reply to CharlieMack:

Im a ME convert but I can get the rab one cheaper. Otherwise they seem much of a muchness. Think if they were the same price I'd get the ME one. Not such a fan of the shiney fabric on the rab.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...