Edelrid Aramid

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stevie989 10 Aug 2014
I've came to the conclusion the I have way to many short draws and next to no extenders so will be converting most of them over to extenders.

Anyone use the Edelrid Aramid's for this? Looks like a slick solution and the wee ones can double as prussic loops if required.

AlH 10 Aug 2014
In reply to Stevie989:

If you mean using the 60cm aramid loops as extendable sling draws i've tried it. In winter I found it worked ok and they were durable and stiff enough to work well on threads. However in summer they are much stiffer than dyneema and harder to operate 1 handed when in a tricky spot. I've kept 1 or 2 on my rack but ,iced them in with some dyneema too.
 CMcBain 10 Aug 2014
In reply to Stevie989:

Had a play in a shop with the and thought they were too stiff to make a good sling draw, Beal 6mm tubular slings are a nice alternative.
 Rich W Parker 10 Aug 2014
In reply to Stevie989:

Love 'em.
In reply to Stevie989:

They're a pain to use as slings because they don't rack very well. I wouldn't want to use them for slingdraws, dyneema is better handling and lighter.
 AlH 10 Aug 2014
In reply to highaltitudebarista:

I don't have any issues with them as 120cm slings. Find them simple to rack around body and twisted on harness. MUCH easier to undo a knot in them after loading, easy to push through a thread.
In reply to AlH: Fair does, there's a 60cm one that's made it's way onto out Alpine rack on this trip and I don't get on with it. Can you knot the 120cm to equalise gear?
 AlH 10 Aug 2014
In reply to highaltitudebarista:

Yes but the knot takes a little more sling than a skinny dyneema one. If you've abseiled using it as a cows tail and to extend your plate away its much easier to undo the knot than with a dyneema. TBH I'd happily live without the 60s but quite like the 120s.
OP Stevie989 10 Aug 2014
In reply to Stevie989:

I might get a couple to try out then.
In reply to Stevie989:
Hi I've had a couple of Aramid slings on my rack for over a year now. I really like them but they do have their downsides.

I think for sling draws the best slings to use are 8mm Mammut Contact slings. This is because they are sewn together in a well finished way that does not catch on anything. If you use standard sized krabs this isn't much of an issues and you can get away with using 11mm slings. However if you use small krabs, like DMM Phantoms, the Mammut slings are noticeably better and don't tangle as badly.

I really rate the aramid 120cm slings, especially for equalising, when building belays. This is mainly because a knotted aramid sling that has been weighted is a million times easier to undo than skinny dyneema one.

However the Aramid slings are much less flexible than dyneema ones so I wouldn't use them as sling draws. I don't have any problems with racking them over the shoulder, buy my friend who is a bit shorter than I am finds that they get in the way when racked like this. This because compared to a dyneema sling the more static material hangs away from his body.

Hope this makes sense and is helpful.
Post edited at 22:29
 CurlyStevo 11 Aug 2014
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

The stifness makes them much better for tight long threads (such as you get in the dolomites a lot). They are also suppsoed to be more resistent to sharp edges which makes sense looking at the design to me also.
OP Stevie989 11 Aug 2014

Thanks for all the help guys.

I'll get a couple as supplements rather than ordering a whole bunch at the one time.

> (In reply to Stevie989) Hi I've had a couple of Aramid slings on my rack for over a year now. I really like them but they do have their downsides.
>
> I think for sling draws the best slings to use are 8mm Mammut Contact slings. This is because they are sewn together in a well finished way that does not catch on anything. If you use standard sized krabs this isn't much of an issues and you can get away with using 11mm slings. However if you use small krabs, like DMM Phantoms, the Mammut slings are noticeably better and don't tangle as badly.
>
> I really rate the aramid 120cm slings, especially for equalising, when building belays. This is mainly because a knotted aramid sling that has been weighted is a million times easier to undo than skinny dyneema one.
>
> However the Aramid slings are much less flexible than dyneema ones so I wouldn't use them as sling draws. I don't have any problems with racking them over the shoulder, buy my friend who is a bit shorter than I am finds that they get in the way when racked like this. This because compared to a dyneema sling the more static material hangs away from his body.
>
> Hope this makes sense and is helpful.

+1
Love 'em. Wouldn't use as sling draws though.
Post edited at 14:15

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...