Fixing a tear in a jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
My sister has torn her jacket. Its a stretchy soft shell type material which she caught and a nail and it has produced a triangle flap with the sides about 2-3cm long. What's the best way to try and fix this...

I was thinking sew it and then maybe a patch behind sealed with tent repair stuff?
 PPP 01 Aug 2014
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

Either use some McNett Tenacious tape if you are lazy or sew it and then apply some McNett Seam Grip.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 01 Aug 2014

Wonderweb, and iron and a damp towel might produce the neatest repair,

Chris
 arctickev 01 Aug 2014

gorilla tape on the inside can work quite well
 wheelo 01 Aug 2014

Swear by spinnaker tape myself...lots on fleabay.
Iron on gently with slightly warm iron and round off all corners first
 DancingOnRock 01 Aug 2014
In reply to wheelo:

Spinnaker tape. Adhesive stuff is also available in all kinds of colours.

> I was thinking sew it and then maybe a patch behind sealed with tent repair stuff?

Align the edges as best you can, then a zig-zag stitch along the three sides.

Whether it then needs tape reinforcing will depend on the nature of the fabric. If it's a bonded laminate, then the lamination and stitching is likely to be enough to keep all the threads together and stop it fraying. If it's a non-laminate fabric, then maybe tape it to prevent fraying.

If it's a tape seamed waterproof 'soft shell', then maybe consider taping to maintain the waterproofing, but that will really depend on where the tear is; in the body, you're not likely to need that much waterproofing, but shoulders will.

Here's my guide to using iron-on seam seal tape, but spinnaker tape might be all that's needed:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/hill-skills/how-to-repair-torn-waterproofs/650...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...