Alternative charity event

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Solsbury 31 Jul 2014
Hi, a friend of mine who, for good reason has got into doing some charity events-skydiving and the like asked me how easy Ben Nevis, three peaks, etec was and how to go about organising it.

I tactfully explained that a)Ben Nevis is in Scotland and we are in Bath and b) lots of charity groups do a limited number of challenges and that impacts in many ways.

So, he said, whatdoyouthinkweshoulddothen?

I have not been able to think of anything that would suit non-climbers/inexperienced hill walkers so wondered if anyone on here had any ideas- the charity he supports has to do with childhood cancers if that makes any difference-all suggestions welcome.

Rich
 RockAngel 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Solsbury:

I'd tell him to speak to the charity as they may have someone who can organise these events for a group of people. They'd share the costs or get it reduced due to having a spokesperson from the charity organise it as well as having other people to do the challenges with.
XXXX 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Solsbury:

Fan Dance? You could lead it.
In reply to Solsbury:

A cycling challenge. I think any average person could do most cycle chaallenges if they have enough drive.
 Ramblin dave 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Solsbury:

Is there a local landmark you could abseil off?
 Wingnut 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Solsbury:

How about entering an organised challenge walk? Something like this, maybe?

http://www.ldwa.org.uk/challenge_events/show_event.php?event_id=13119
 roddyp 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Solsbury:

Welsh 3 peaks? (Snowdon, Cadair Idris, Pen y Fan)

Much less driving (or, do it over two days cycling between them?) and the finish is sensibly close to Bristol.

llechwedd 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Solsbury:

See how many vehicles you could wash in a weekend, how many lawns you could mow, etc.
I know it's a radical idea, but doing something useful as a charity event might catch on...

If you wanted to seem outdoorsy, I suppose you could wear hillwalking gear.
 jkarran 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Solsbury:

If he actually wants to climb Ben Nevis while fundraising on the side then why not while the weather is still good?

If the fundraising is the primary goal then obviously something more local could be more cost effective.

jk
 L.A. 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Solsbury: Go to one of Ben Nevis,Snowdon,Scafell,on a Monday armed with bin bags and see how much litter you can collect (a lot of it from the weekend 'Challenge Adventurers' ) You can do some good for the outdoors and have a day out on the hills
Yorkshire 3 Peaks would also be good to see how many Red Bull and Lucozade bottles you can collect

roddyp 31 Jul 2014
In reply to L.A.:

Take a wheelybin instead. Adds more of a 'challenge' element, and you can bring down more cr*p.

llechwedd 31 Jul 2014
In reply to L.A.:

> Go to one of Ben Nevis,Snowdon,Scafell,on a Monday armed with bin bags and see how much litter you can collect (a lot of it from the weekend 'Challenge Adventurers' ) You can do some good for the outdoors and have a day out on the hills

> Yorkshire 3 Peaks would also be good to see how many Red Bull and Lucozade bottles you can collect

Sounds like an incentive for the charities to pre place litter on the hills if it's 'sponsor me per kilo of crap' I collect..

Wingnut 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Solsbury:

Or a marathon/half marathon?
 Wingnut 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Solsbury:

Or enter something like this:

http://www.bedrace.co.uk/

(Racing hospital beds would probably be quite appropriate for a cancer charity?)
 Wingnut 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Solsbury:

Or Tough Guy or similar?
In reply to Solsbury:

Have you considered the vegetables-up-hills-with-inappropriate-body-part challenge? http://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/item.php?id=69085
 chrisbaggy 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

On that premise make it more interesting by tying a sausage on a string around your waist and have to swing it with hip thrusts to "bat" an apple up snowden.

My suggestion would be a pork and apple sausage.....
OP Solsbury 01 Aug 2014
In reply to Solsbury:

Cheers for all the responses, he is well linked into the hospitals fundraising team, was wondering what an alternative to the three peaks/Ben Nevis might look like-only thing I really thought of was a circumnavigation (?) of the Quantocks, might be a goer.

Thanks anyway

Rich
In reply to Solsbury:

In the southwest richard, what about the ten tors on Dartmoor, or a good chunk of the Southwest Coast Path? Bideford to Bude in a day or something like that would be a big ask, at least as tough as most of the well known hill-based challenge walks (and more scenic than some)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...