GPS device and Strava niggles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mbh 30 Jul 2014
Sometimes, either my watch (a 410) or my iphone lose GPS signal or don't get it in the first place, even in places (my front door or on routes I've done loads of times) where they normally do).

1. Is there a quick fix for this? A couple of days ago I could get no fix at all from the watch, so set off using the phone instead. I left the watch trying throughout the run, but it got nowhere. Once home, I turned it off then on again, and it was OK.

2. When this happens, the Strava record of my run is wrong. If I delete the entire record and enter it manually, I can enter the distance, but can't see how to enter my ascent for the run.

Is there a way that I can amend a record taken by a device, or enter ascent for a manually entered record?
 yarbles 30 Jul 2014
In reply to mbh:

http://strava-tools.raceshape.com/snap/

Will snap you to a road but only works if GPS is giving wrong readings.

If you use it when GPS has no signal it assumes you teleport so screws it up. May be worth a shot see if it puts your ascent in though
 Indy 30 Jul 2014
In reply to mbh:

> Sometimes, either my watch (a 410) or my iphone lose GPS signal

I assume you mean a Garmin Forerunner 410. As this watch is pretty long in the tooth have you tried a master reset?
OP mbh 31 Jul 2014
In reply to yarbles:

Thanks, I will try this out.
OP mbh 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Indy:

No, but now I will. Thanks for the tip.
OP mbh 14 Sep 2014
In reply to mbh:

master reset thing worked - thanks forthat.

And now, another thing. I can't get my Instagram pictures to appear on Strava. I use my Garmin 410 to record the run, which I upload OK to Strava, and the Instagram app on my iphone 5 to take the pictures during the run. These come up on my Instagram, but not on Strava. This has happened a few times now. When upload the run to Strava, it says for a while that it is syncing my pictures, but nothing appears, and then it stops saying that. It was only the first run where I tried this that my picture came up on Strava. Since then it has not worked. On that first run, though, I think I used the iphone to record the run too (becuase the watch was playing up - see above!). Since then, I have always used the watch.

I have connected my Strava account to Instagram, so far as I can tell, I have made my Instagram as public as I can see how (but maybe I am missing something, and I have written to Strava to ask them what I should do, who were very helpful (they are really good at writing back) but who can only suggest what I think I have already done. I have done all the dumb turn off- turn on, disconnect-reconnect things I can think of.

Any suggestions anyone? Does this happen to anyone else? Do I need to be recording the run too with the iphone Strava app, rather than with the watch? I can't find anything on the Strava site that says I do.
 Banned User 77 14 Sep 2014
In reply to mbh:

I use strava/instagram off my gps watch..
 Ridge 14 Sep 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

> I use strava/instagram off my gps watch..

Same here. Provided the instagram photos are uploaded within 45 mins of the run they should show up.
OP mbh 14 Sep 2014
In reply to Ridge:

If they appear on Instagram, does that mean I have uploaded them? I do whatever I do during the run, straight after taking each photo.

Ridge 14 Sep 2014
In reply to mbh:
If they appear in the app they should have uploaded. I normally take any photos on the phone, then when I get back in range of a data signal, (which I don't usually have on my runs), I upload the photos to Instagram from the gallery.
In reply to mbh:

yeah, strava searchs ig for your pics and links them.. so on ig in time and on your gps route they should get found..
In reply to Ridge:

Do you find it links them to the point you took them or just the start finish? I find if I upload there and then they go on the route, if later, just at the start/finish.. but maybe that changes in time like elevation.. I should check..
 yorkshireman 14 Sep 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

> Do you find it links them to the point you took them or just the start finish? I find if I upload there and then they go on the route, if later, just at the start/finish.. but maybe that changes in time like elevation.. I should check..

I find this part quite erratic. I guess it depends on how good the GPS fix of the phone was when it took the photo (I record the run on my watch, and upload to Instagram after I get to the finish) but for instance today I took a picture on my run and it placed it about 1km away from where I actually took it. In the big scheme of the run it's about right (especially when zoomed out) but I can't say I ever find it that exact.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...