3 Peaks (in 3 days) 'Challenge' - best basic campsites?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mikewiggs 21 Jul 2014
Hello all, I am currently organising a charity event for myself and 5 friends, hiking the 3 peaks in 3 days. If anyone out there can recommend some of the better basic campsites in the relevant areas, where it would be possible to just turn up and pitch up, that would be great! Showers are a must, even if they are cold and on the outside of a barn.......any info would be VERY helpful! Thanks
 Tony the Blade 21 Jul 2014
In reply to mikewiggs:

Horton in Ribbledale is your best bet, but can get a tad noisy.
Tim Chappell 21 Jul 2014
In reply to mikewiggs:

Why take 3 days? The whole round is only about 24 miles. As said, Horton is probably your best bet.
August West 21 Jul 2014
In reply to mikewiggs:
Tony's answer highlights the fact that you need to specify which three peaks it is you are wanting to do. I presume you mean Snowdonia, Scafell and Ben Nevis, but Tony is giving you advice for the Yorkshire Dales (Penyghent, Whernside and Ingleborough).

Also see this:

http://www.institute-of-fundraising.org.uk/guidance/code-of-fundraising-pra...
Post edited at 21:58
OP mikewiggs 21 Jul 2014
In reply to mikewiggs:

Sorry. Being more specific - its the Classic 3 peaks, Nevis, Scaf Pike and Snowdon. Any info on campgrounds near to these peaks would be great!
 Mark Kemball 21 Jul 2014
In reply to mikewiggs:

I must say, the 3 Peaks in 24 hours has always annoyed me as a "challenge", 3 days for it seems far more sensible and enjoyable. Wasdale national trust site is very pleasant http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/visit/local-to-you/north-west/places-to-sta... if you want to approach from that side (shorter than from Borrowdale but steeper). In Snowdonia the Llyn Gwynant campsite http://www.gwynant.com/ is beautiful and ideally situated to climb Yr Wyddfa (Snowdon) by the south ridge - the most pleasant way, I think - this also avoids the £10 parking charge (if there's actually a space) at Pen y Pass.

Can't help with Ben Nevis area though.
 Tony the Blade 22 Jul 2014
In reply to August West:

> Tony's answer highlights the fact that you need to specify which three peaks it is you are wanting to do. I presume you mean Snowdonia, Scafell and Ben Nevis, but Tony is giving you advice for the Yorkshire Dales (Penyghent, Whernside and Ingleborough).

Yes, and I was a bit of a knob head to be so trite actually. Apologies.

Tim Chappell 23 Jul 2014
In reply to mikewiggs:

Don't do it. Do a coast-to-coast bike ride instead. Much better for the environment, and equally worthy as a charity cause.

PS The "classic" 3 Peaks is in fact the Yorkshire 3 Peaks.
 ben b 23 Jul 2014
In reply to mikewiggs:

Hi Mike

Suggest you search the site to get more background - and you may find that there is a lot of antipathy to the idea. Having said that, the doing it in 24 hours is a major part of the problem, and taking a more leisurely 3 days alleviates some of the issues e.g. of driving when tired, turning up in Wasdale in the middle of the night, etc.

There is unfortunately a 'Charity 3 Peaks Industry' which does little to endear it to the local populations and seems happy enough to cause a lot of disruption to others, who are supposed to be happy because of it being for Charity.

Personally, I'd recommend having nothing to do with them and going and doing the hills with your mates if you want, having a leisurely trip and donating to a charity of your choice (and maybe the local MRTs or other organisations). Other options for masochists include public transport between the hills, self-propelled (especially if you know a competent yachtsman and crew!), or just doing something completely different.

Taking novelty items of furniture and leaving them on the summits is also frowned upon

Hope you have a good trip

cheers

b

ben b 23 Jul 2014
In reply to mikewiggs:

Additionally, the carbon footprint of the drive may also get people moaning, although 6 folk in a single vehicle travelling at the speed limit may well be equivalent to 2 UKC laptop warriors hooning up to catch the first sniff of ice in the Northern Corries for the weekend. As someone who had to recently drive from Winchester to Torridon and back I shall not cast the first stone

b
 Tony the Blade 23 Jul 2014
In reply to ben b:

What's that you say? Ice? In the Northern Corr.............

<sound of slamming front door in background>
Tim Chappell 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Tony the Blade:

What's that? Did someone say Kinder Downfall was in?

<grabs battered tools and ebay ice screws, stampedes out to car>
 Tony the Blade 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Tim Chappell:

> What's that? Did someone say Kinder Downfall was in?

> <grabs battered tools and ebay ice screws, stampedes out to car>

Is it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...