Conditions Mitteligi Ridge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 woodsy 21 Jul 2014
Heading to Grindelwald this friday & just trying to plan ahead.
Have bookings for Mitteligi & Monch huts & wondering what the conditions are like on the ridge & elsewhere in the region.
Are things improving or do I need to make alternative plans?
Thanks
Woodsy
 mikefergy 21 Jul 2014
In reply to woodsy:

The mittellegi was in our plans too, but the ridge is very snowy at the moment and the hut was closed last week - it was due to open again on Sunday but given the weather I doubt if it has. We've been up monch and gross- & hinter-fiescherhorns and there's a lot of snow up there!
OP woodsy 21 Jul 2014
In reply to woodsy:

Cheers for the advice. Think we will probably head west...
 Alan.T 21 Jul 2014
In reply to mikefergy:
When were you up fiesherhorns? I'm in Chamonix at the moment contemplating next move but was considering Finsteraarhorn. Suspect there'll be a fair amount of new snow from recent weather, probably high avalanche risk. Might head to Pyrenees tomorrow when friend arrives in Geneva.
Reports suggest Matterhorn has a good covering of snow and Mittalegi will be the same. Whole of Alps seems to be suffering same weather, slight improvement due from Wednesday but still evening storm risk. Hopefully this weather will improve for your trip from Friday woodsy. Frustrating.
 mikefergy 21 Jul 2014
In reply to Alan.T:

We traversed the fiescherhorns on Friday. NW ridge of gross fiescherhorn was pretty much all snow - the rock pitch mentioned in the guidebook was buried. It's raining again in the valley at the moment - probably snowing high up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...