PRODUCT NEWS: Jottnar Bergelmir Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 21 Jul 2014
Jottnar Bergelmir Jacket, 3 kb

The Bergelmir is Jottnar's flagship technical mountain shell, built for total protection and uncompromised performance. Constructed in a grade of Polartec® Neoshell®, especially selected and tested by Jöttnar for hand feel and durability, it delivers true breathability, stretch and robustness in a lightweight and fully waterproof package. Streamlined, uncluttered, durable and athletically cut, Bergelmir is a modern day suit of armour.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=6481
 ColdWill 21 Jul 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

Is that £450?
 galpinos 21 Jul 2014
In reply to ColdWill:

£450 for a Neoshell jacket seems quite steep. I guess it is an "especially selected" type of Neoshell, as opposed to the "randomly selected" types used by all other manufacturers.
 BnB 21 Jul 2014
In reply to galpinos:

I suppose you could argue that it is a hardshell and softshell rolled up into one, though only superior to either when the weather catches you in between the wet/dry conundrum. But the Marmot Nabu is essentially the same at £200 so those must be some very "select" cuts of neoshell
 galpinos 21 Jul 2014
In reply to BnB:

That was my point really; it seems out of step with other neoshell jackets. They generally seem cheaper than Gore-Tex jackets so I assume the fabric is cheaper but this is up there in cost with the top of the range Gore-Tex stuff.
So why is it so expensive? It's made in the Far East like most jackets, uses the same fabric and it doesn't look drastically different in cut/style?
On the “it’s a hardshell and softshell in one” – it’s doesn’t perform as well as either at their best and you could probably get both for less than £450 and they’d weigh less!
 BnB 21 Jul 2014
In reply to galpinos:
> That was my point really; it seems out of step with other neoshell jackets. They generally seem cheaper than Gore-Tex jackets so I assume the fabric is cheaper but this is up there in cost with the top of the range Gore-Tex stuff.

> So why is it so expensive? It's made in the Far East like most jackets, uses the same fabric and it doesn't look drastically different in cut/style?

> On the “it’s a hardshell and softshell in one” – it’s doesn’t perform as well as either at their best and you could probably get both for less than £450 and they’d weigh less!

I did just that, a Gore-Tex Pro hardshell for £250 and a non-membrane softshell for £75. I guess the neoshell means you can carry just one garment and avoid regular outerwear changes, yet never have to worry whether it's gong to be wet or dry, but resigned to knowing that you're in the wrong garment unless the weather is pretty uncertain/mixed, which, to be fair, is quite often in Scotland!!
Post edited at 18:12
 JayPee630 21 Jul 2014
In reply to BnB:

£450! Wow. They need to have a word with their advertising bloke as well, 'a modern day suit of armor' hahaha! No, it's a jacket made of cloth.
 TobyA 21 Jul 2014
In reply to BnB:

> I suppose you could argue that it is a hardshell and softshell

I wouldn't. It's very much a classic mountain hardshell. The price is a little less than a top of the range Arcteryx or Mammut mountain shell, but a bit more than say Mountain Equipment or Berghaus similar.

> In reply to galpinos:

I think Jöttnar picked a very high quality face material (hence expensive) for the neoshell to be bonded to. I think it's similar with Arcteryx and their goretex. BnB mentioned the Marmot Nabu, which is neoshell but feels really rather a different type of jacket because of the very different material the membrane is bonded to. Whether its so much better than the stuff that, for eg., ME uses I don't know.
 ColdWill 21 Jul 2014
In reply to BnB:
I just got a ME Centurion for €200 from bike24. Pretty much the same jacket from what I can tell, that's what piqued my interest. This has to be aimed at the ArcTeryx buyers I think but they won't buy anything except ArcT so who knows.. Having looked at jackets all summer the Gore construction blows away the Neoshell so maybe this one is made as well as a Gore jacket... buuut having just looked at the web site it appears to be the same construction.
Post edited at 22:16
 TobyA 22 Jul 2014
In reply to ColdWill:

> Having looked at jackets all summer the Gore construction blows away the Neoshell

I'm interested in what you mean by that? I've reviewed the Bergelmir and I reviewed a top end Goretex jacket (Marmot Alpinist) a few winters before that http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=3282 (rrp for that was about the same as the Jöttnar). They've both been great winter shells, quite similar in some ways.

But do you mean the Goretex material quality is much better than the Neoshell material?
 ColdWill 22 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:

I looked at three Neo Shell jacket and two GTX Pro jackets both from ME. Difference were everywhere, top to bottom.
Laminated hem v stitched.
Narrower seam tape.
Laminated zips as opposed to taped.
Pocket backing being made of supper thin material as opposed to the same face fabric.
Laminated cuffs as opposed to stitched.
Enclosed toggles
Lots of little things.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...