Best place to find rental properties - Sheffield

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cha1n 18 Jul 2014
Can anyone in the know recommend the best website, newspaper, etc to find a rental property in Sheffield? I've currently been using rightmove and reluctantly, gumtree (it's not very configurable).

Having just spent 2 days in Sheffield (I'm relocating from Bristol), and put an application in on a property and been told this morning that the tenant has changed their mind about moving out, we're deperately trying to find something quickly as I start my new job in a months time.

Mainly looking at Hunters Bar, Crookes, Walkley and parts of Hillsborough. Looking at properties =< £600pcm the less agency fees, the better! Really appreciate any help.
 TobyA 18 Jul 2014
In reply to cha1n:

Have also been looking, the agency fees are mental aren't they? We were told it will be 180 per adult, so 360 for us and you need to pay that with each application to rent you make!

Gumtree seems the way to go to find more negotiable landlords directly. Rightmove seems to be big agency like Blundells with those hefty fees.
 stp 18 Jul 2014
In reply to cha1n:

The Sheffield Star is the main local paper and it used to be one day each week had a lot of property available - maybe ... umm Thursdays. Quite possibly changed now.

Definitely avoid agencies unless you've got money to chuck away. I'd also recommend Gumtree as it cuts out a middleman taking a huge cut.
OP cha1n 18 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Yes the fees are sickening. It's varied wildly between agencies though, from £200-£300, £360 is mental. It's usually something quite high for the first applicant and less than half for the second.

We were also told (by another agent) that agents like Blundells will take applications from as many people as possible to get fees in and then when one of the applications goes through, just tell the other applicants that unfortunately their application wasn't approved (it usually says it's at the agent's discretion in the T&Cs).

The rental market seems to have gone dead within the last few weeks. We were casually looking a few weeks back before I'd been offered a job and there were many, many houses available, now there's been a handful in the last few weeks and if one comes on it's gone within a day or two. What's going on?!? We were up in Sheffield on Weds/Thurs and many of the viewings were group viewings which was really awkward.

OP cha1n 19 Jul 2014
In reply to cha1n:

Rainy day bump.

Also feel free to add your suggested areas to live. All of this was covered in an old post but it got deleted because of where it was posted!
andreas 19 Jul 2014
In reply to cha1n:

Hello, I've rented a few properties in Sheffield, estate agents have always been terrible, loads of admin, loads of checks, obviously the stupid charges but then awful maintenance and sorting stuff out. Had a pretty major leak in (what was) a really nice three bed house in Crookes, they moved us to a disgusting 8 bed house near manor, charged us for it and it was two weeks before they even started fixing our old place, eight weeks in total to fix a leak. Would never consider renting off an agent again. Gumtree and Sheffield forums are probably your best chance of finding a private landlord.

Other than that nether edge, millhouses, stannington and loxley are also areas I'd consider.
andreas 19 Jul 2014
In reply to cha1n:

Just had a look on gumtree and there's loads going, you just have to sift through them all. If you see anything you like the look of post the street name / postcode here and myself or someone else will be able to you an idea what the area's like.
 TobyA 19 Jul 2014
In reply to andreas:

But don't compete with me and my temporarily homeless family!
 Timmd 19 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:
I used to feel a little bit like that untill I got sorted out with somewhere to live.....'Sheffield's horrible, shh' ()

I love how the students and people who come to live help to keep the city alive though, and keep it more vibrant.
Post edited at 14:46
 Timmd 19 Jul 2014
In reply to cha1n:
Zoopla is quite a good seach method, I found my last rented place through Zoopla, fortunately for me my parents paid the agency fees at the time. It was an agency at the top of Ecclesall Road near to Banner Cross.

I'll have a look for it if I get a mo. You might be able to ask about their fees before using them.
Post edited at 15:10
OP cha1n 19 Jul 2014
In reply to cha1n:

Haha, Toby I've been homeless for over a year now!

Gumtree has lots on it but they are mainly bad postcodes and the agents/landlords don't take them off when they've gone. It's a terrible site for searching on.
 muppetfilter 19 Jul 2014
In reply to cha1n:

Fulwood/ Lodge moor is a great area and if you are after flats there are a few on the market at the minute in your price range. Easy to get into town and very easy to get out to the peak.
 Timmd 19 Jul 2014
In reply to cha1n:
For a budget of 600 you should be laughing. The only thing to bear in mind with flats is the soundproofing (or lack of).

In the flats opposite Bingham Park for instance, the soundproofing isn't great. You can hear men going for a pee if your bedroom is next to their bathroom.

It's almost enough to make you jump out of bed in the mornings.
Post edited at 19:28
OP cha1n 19 Jul 2014
In reply to cha1n:

We *should* be laughing but the gf wants a house so it's more of a task. Lots of flats around like you say.
 Mowglee 19 Jul 2014
In reply to cha1n:

Just (hopefully) got sorted with a flat, but it did take a while. Most of the houses seem to be large - >4 bedrooms and only available as houseshares. Much more choice for 2 beds if you look at flats. Blundells are the most expensive agent we've found - £96 for a 'moving day fee' where they just turn up and give you the keys! It was going to be £450 for the application fee and moving day fee. We ended up paying about £250 in fees which is refundable if the application is unsuccessful. Not been impressed with any of the agents so far, but I suppose they have their reputation for a reason. Good luck!
 Timmd 24 Jul 2014
In reply to Timmd:

> It's almost enough to make you jump out of bed in the mornings.

Actually, it 'is' enough to make you jump out of bed.
 rockwing 27 Jul 2014
In reply to cha1n:

spareroom.co.uk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...