NEW ARTICLE: Opinion Piece: 4x4s on Green Lanes - Live and Let Live

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKH Articles 15 Jul 2014
Riding a green lane, 4 kbFirst they came for Jeremy Clarkson and the off-road vehicle brigade - and then they came for the mountain bikers. Tom Hutton worries that 4x4 bans could have knock-on effects for cyclists. What's the answer? Compromise, he says.

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=6495
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 15 Jul 2014
In reply to UKH Articles:

Is that really a "Green Lane" you are biking down or the sad shattered bones of one?

Chris
 tallsop 17 Jul 2014
In reply to UKH Articles:
I think that green lanes just need more money spending on them to maintain them (and NOT like they did at stanage - that was a kick in the face to everyone from the council) They are, historically used for carriages and farm vehicles, i don't see what the fuss is about with those, i think green laners are fine as long as they don't stray onto bridleways.
Most of the people that moan about about the condition of footpaths/bridleways etc are ignorant city folks who expect to be able to go everywhere in trainers - and i don't personally give a shit about them. (At least this is the impression i got from a council footpaths officer I met this week whilst i was working next to a footpath, repairing dry stone walls.)

Like I say the green lanes don't really bother me. I expect a bit of mud when i go out walking and i wear hiking boots, its part of it!

Being as the Peak District gets crap-all funding from the government, spending money on paths isnt really an option. Perhaps better education for visitors is required? Ive always thought that we should open all rights of way to cyclists. Then the damage will be more evenly distributed (not that im expecting everyone to agree).

In my opinion though, mountain bikes do no more damage than a group of twenty or so ramblers. Walkers tend to walk around mud and puddles further spreading the damage to paths, cyclists will happily go through the mud, limiting the damage.

There is no bias in my opinion, I'm a walker, cyclist, climber and a 4x4 driver (although i just think green-laning is a bit shit).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...