Scrambling suggestions Lake District?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 phja 12 Jul 2014
Planning a trip to the Lake District and would like to do some easy scrambling. Plan on doing striding and swirral edge on first day and am looking for something similar or maybe a bit harder.

The person I'm going with had a bit of a nightmare on crib goch a few years ago so I'm looking for something not too exposed...maybe something akin to Tryfan north ridge (scrambly but not too exposed).

Thanks for any suggestions!!
Wulfrunian 12 Jul 2014
In reply to phja:

Not done much in the Lakes myself, but Blencathra via Sharp Edge is nice, easy, a bit exposed (but nowhere near as much as Crib Goch) but a notch up from Striding/Swirral. Come down via Doddick Fell then go back up via Halls Fell Ridge before descending by Sharp Edge, to make a decent day of it.

The only other graded scramble I've done in the Lakes is Great End via Skew Gill. Again, easy Grade 1 stuff. I enjoyed it, but prepare to get wet. From the top of the gill, freelance onto Great End, continue up to Scafell Pike then head back via the Corridor Route for a satisfying round.
Removed User 12 Jul 2014
In reply to rackandruin:

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scrambles-Easy-Climbs-Lake-District/dp/1902017056

checking out some of the big days (maybe called expedition days?) which link up quite a few scrambles (eg Link Cove beck, Greenhow end, etc) & make for decent days (that are not too contrived!
and obviously if you're near Helvellyn, Pinnacle Ridge on St Sunday's is not an unreasonable progression from the Helvellyn Edges...
 LucaC 12 Jul 2014
In reply to phja:
You can do the 3 Langdale pikes via scrambles rather than walking, and there is a choice of routes up to grade 3, all which felt pretty easy, not too exposed and escapable if anything became an issue.
 NathanP 12 Jul 2014
In reply to phja:

If your mate wasn't happy on Crib Goch then I wouldn't think of descending Sharp edge with him.

The classic round of Blencathra is up Sharp edge and down Halls Fell but Sharp edge is very short with an unpleasant little angled slab (to be avoided in the wet, unless you are happy on a lot more than grade 1s.). I think you't be better going up Halls Fell, sticking to the crest and making the most of that then walking off for an early pint in Thelkeld.

Really though, the best scrambling in the lakes isn't on the ridges.
 mountainbagger 13 Jul 2014
In reply to phja:
A nice day, based in Langdale:

Mill Gill: http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=50979, where you can decide pretty much all the way up what you want to play on and what you don't. Very friendly. Good warm up for what's next...

Followed by Jack's Rake: http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=50985, which is a very good scramble. I think if Striding Edge goes OK, then this will be fine - I didn't find it as exposed as Crib Goch (or Sharp Edge for that matter).

You can also play around a lot near the summit of Pavey Ark on short sections of rock.

Many options for descent (by paths) back down to the valley depending on how many more tops you wish to walk over the rest of the day.

Also, I think it was already recommended in a post above, but Scrambles and Easy Climbs in the Lake District is a great book for planning these kinds of trips.

Have fun,
Damo
Post edited at 11:24
 Jake463 13 Jul 2014
In reply to phja:

I like the Kilnshaw Chimney on Red Screes.
Apart from an awkward rock halfway up it's not tricky nor exposed but is a fantastic line up the mountain with some sensational views. As you can do it from the top of the Kirkstone Pass it's good if you just want some entertainment for half a day or an evening.
 Chris Murray 13 Jul 2014
In reply to phja:

You might want to consider some gill scrambles, especially if your mate doesn't have a good head. Personally I'd be very cautious about taking someone on a ridge scramble if they had an epic on a tourist path like CG.
 Wesley Orvis 14 Jul 2014
In reply to phja:

best easy grade 1 in the lakes after Jack's Rake is Long Crag on Wetherlam straight out the Copper Mines Valley then traverse across and do the Boulder Route at grade 2 if confident enough finished with a walk over Glaramara.
 Lankyman 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Wesley Orvis:

> best easy grade 1 in the lakes after Jack's Rake is Long Crag on Wetherlam straight out the Copper Mines Valley then traverse across and do the Boulder Route at grade 2 if confident enough finished with a walk over Glaramara.

Are you sure, Wesley - about the route, not the scrambling I mean? To go from Wetherlam to Glaramara is a long haul over Swirl How/Great Carrs, dropping to Wrynose Pass and probably having to go over the Crinkles, Bow Fell and Esk Pike to Esk Hause. If you've any energy left you'd then have to get back to your start at Coniston!
 Wesley Orvis 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Lankyman:

Sorry Wetherlam you are correct that would be a hell of a walk.
 matt pigden 14 Jul 2014
In reply to phja:

Cam Crag in Borrowdale is a 3 star grade 1. That's a very good route for a nervous beginner wanting something slightly more challenging than a walk but never to exposed.

You might even be able to discover "the secret bothy" at Woof stones!!
 Wesley Orvis 14 Jul 2014
In reply to matt pigden:
> (In reply to phja)
>
> Cam Crag in Borrowdale is a 3 star grade 1.

grade 2 or 3 in my book, although it is escapable and you could probably do it at grade 1 if you avoid most of the climbing. Although the bothy is amazing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...