Haute Route - Would a warden book huts ahead for you?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sbc_10 09 Jul 2014
Hello everybody,

Thinking of doing the Haute Route this Summer and would like to know the etiquette of hut booking when we do not want to be tied down to a strict timetable.

Last time I did it, we booked from the UK about 2 weeks ahead of our trip. This worked out OK (~ish) apart from some of the days we were obliged to move to the next hut in what turned out to be poor conditions. Also there were a few interesting peaks that we passed on the way that warranted further investigation, but alas....not enough time.

Is it acceptable to ask the Hut warden to ring ahead for you when you have a better idea of the local forecast and the likelihood of you staying around for an extra night at their hut.

OR.....is it a case of doing it yourself on a mobile from the hut.

There is no problem with this apart from, my language skills are not great, my hearing is not great and I can mess up even the most basic of logistical procedures if given the chance.

Sorry if this is a totally obvious question, but there are some forms of hut etiquette than are not written down and learned by making a pillock of oneself.

Thanks for any advice and/or experience on this.

Sean.
 MG 09 Jul 2014
In reply to sbc_10:

Most will do it (possibly for a charge) if you ask nicely at a quiet time. Asking half an hour before dinner would be a bad plan...
 jo86 25 Jul 2014
In reply to sbc_10:

I did this on winter attempt couple of years back.

Rang the first hut on morning we left and then booked the subsequent huts the night before. Using warden or there phone if no mobile reception.

Pros, little planning needed and no cancelling of huts required if bad weather etc.

Cons, may be no space booking this late, the guardians may try and swindle you for food even if you don't want it and are not obliged to pay!

Do always try and book though, as helps out guardians and saves them being annoyed.
 jon 25 Jul 2014
In reply to jo86:

> the guardians may try and swindle you for food even if you don't want it and are not obliged to pay!

Do you really really think so?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...