Wedding photo etiquette

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Skyfall 07 Jul 2014
I attended a wedding recently which was a fairly small affair, partly as it was held abroad, and was very surprised to be asked not to post any of my photos on facebook or share them around. This request was made to all attendees a day after the wedding itself. I found the timing a bit odd but, even then, I find the whole concept a bit strange. This was just a normal wedding other than we'd all spent a fair bit of money to get there.

Is there some etiquette about this in our modern FB world and what is the great UKC collective's view on this?
 rallymania 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

when you post an image on FB do you not give up your ownership rights to that photo so FB can "do what they want with it"

maybe the couple don't want their wedding (in other peoples photos) used that way?

but other than that, no idea why!
 Rampikino 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

Very odd indeed, and quite hard to enforce - I'm guessing it was a request rather than a demand?
OP Skyfall 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Rampikino:
Yes, it was a request which we have all respected and to an extent I could understand the wish for privacy. However, I don't think that was the main reason for the request. I'd never thought about it if I'm being honest but I did find it very strange to impose radio silence after the event when people will obviously be asking to see photos. Isn't that partly why you take them? Does it matter which photos get out there first (didn't the official photographers shots always take weeks to make an appearance, back in the good old days)?

I do appreciate FB does make things more public (though most people I know put restrictions on their accounts) but I've been to much bigger/lavish weddings where no one tried to control release of attendees photos and worry overly about such things.
Post edited at 09:29
 LastBoyScout 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

I personally wouldn't post pics of someone elses wedding, anyway.

We did request that our guests didn't post any photos on Facebook until we'd put a few of our own up.

We didn't expect many people would anyway - it was mainly directed at a mate of mine that fancies himself as a bit of an amateur cameraman and is a prolific poster on Facebook. By sheer good luck of timing and position, he did get the best pic of the day, though.
OP Skyfall 07 Jul 2014
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> I personally wouldn't post pics of someone elses wedding, anyway.

Whilst I think that some wedding shots are perhaps a bit intimate almost, I don't really get this. I see plenty of shots of all sorts of events appearing on FB or simply getting emailed around.

> We did request that our guests didn't post any photos on Facebook until we'd put a few of our own up.

Why do you want your shots out there first? This is probably the crux of it and I genuinely don't understand.

Shouldn't you be pleased your friends want to share photos of the big day?

> By sheer good luck of timing and position, he did get the best pic of the day, though.

That's half the battle of taking good shots though....
 Fraser 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

Sounds a bit petty to me. It's about the event and its meaning surely, not what sort of photos some friend has uploaded to wherever before the 'official release'.

I can't be doing with all that wedding circus anyway at the best of times, and this simply confirms it!
 The New NickB 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

Seems odd to me, last wedding that I went to that took place abroad, the couple were keen to get some pictures on Facebook ASAP, so that friends who could not travel, including close friends that were 8 and 9 months pregnant, could see them.
 mav 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

my brother did this. He and his wife are both teachers, and quite careful to try and prevent details of their personal lives going up anywhere that pupils may see them.
Removed User 07 Jul 2014
In reply to rallymania:

In what way? That's very vague.

But perhaps you're right and FB will one day pick their photos out of billions to use for some sort of nefarious marketing :p
 LastBoyScout 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

> Why do you want your shots out there first? This is probably the crux of it and I genuinely don't understand.

Because there were some friends that couldn't make the wedding for one reason or another and we'd prefer that they saw our pics first.

> Shouldn't you be pleased your friends want to share photos of the big day?

Of course, but we also didn't necessarily want them going viral. There's nothing to stop people that are friends (of friends, etc) of friends that don't have security locked down from downloading the pics and doing what they want with them - as it is, we saw comments from people we'd never heard of that were at least 2 connections away.
 gribble 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

We just got married, and although it didn't occur to me to ask guests not to plaster our wedding all over t' web (why would they?), I do admit to feeling uncomfortable that it may happen as it was an event for us and our guests, and not piles of unknown people.

Another aspect to the OP's situation could of course be similar to why you need permission to take photos of school groups - if there is a child who for example has been removed from somewhat psychopathic parents and then be adopted/fostered, posting images of said child in the public arean can lead to some pretty bad consequences. Sadly, this is real life and it does happen.
JMGLondon 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

Sounds refreshing. As privacy begins to appeal, we might see a bit more of this king of thing.
Removed User 07 Jul 2014

> There's nothing to stop people that are friends (of friends, etc) of friends that don't have security locked down from downloading the pics and doing what they want with them

I mean really, this is a concern? The levels of paranoia are mind boggling. What do you imagine people would want to download your pics for in the first place? And what do you think they could do with them?!

> as it is, we saw comments from people we'd never heard of that were at least 2 connections away.

The sky is falling the sky is falling!
OP Skyfall 07 Jul 2014
In reply to gribble:

> it was an event for us and our guests, and not piles of unknown people.

And in this case a lot of friends and family who couldn't attend. But why would randoms be interested in a few wedding shots anyway?

> Another aspect to the OP's situation could of course be similar to why you need permission to take photos of school groups .. adopted/fostered

There were no children there whatsoever.
 alex 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

Makes sense.

The first shots on FB will the ones that get all the attention. They probably wanted to try and get some glam pro shots on there asap rather than some fuzzy phone shots of them stuffing their faces with cake...
 LastBoyScout 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Removed User:

> I mean really, this is a concern? The levels of paranoia are mind boggling. What do you imagine people would want to download your pics for in the first place? And what do you think they could do with them?!

Why is it paranoid to want to keep some sort of privacy to something that was very special to you and involved a select few friends/relatives and is really none of anyone else's business?
OP Skyfall 07 Jul 2014
> is really none of anyone else's business?

Apart from the friends and family who couldn't attend and probably wonder what went down over almost the last week with no photos in evidence (nor for some while it seems) despite asking to see some. As a result, I'm feeling quite uncomfortable and just keeping my head down.

It's ok, I can partly see the point but would better understand it if it were to do with privacy, which I'm pretty certain it isn't (as I said).

I did wonder if women would get it more than men maybe... I'm always prepared to be told that, being a bloke, I just won't understand
Post edited at 14:49
JMGLondon 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

Maybe the couple want them to see the pro photos first?
 lithos 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Skyfall:
any of your photos of what ?

so if me and my mrs are all dressed up for the wedding and we get a snap, they really don't
want that posting ? I can understand (ish) pix of them or the cake cutting or whatever
(if they want to control their media image) but really pix of you are not theirs to control !

(typo edit)
Post edited at 15:47
In reply to Skyfall:
We did this. It was so WE could be the first ones to post pictures about OUR wedding.
Post edited at 15:42
OP Skyfall 07 Jul 2014
In reply to JMGLondon:

> Maybe the couple want them to see the pro photos first?

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

Unfortunately, it means that we can't show friends our photos of what we were doing all last week (which incidentally cost US a lot of money and time).

What I don't understand is that this isn't exactly a new phenomenon in itself. As I said, pro photos (in pre digital days) used to take weeks/months to appear. In the meantime, you were reliant on friends and family showing people (including you) their photos. That's what happened the last time I got married... I seem to recall this was all very normal. In this case, it's still going to take weeks and, in the meantime, we're effectively banned from showing anyone some of our photos of what WE did last week.
OP Skyfall 07 Jul 2014
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat:

See my last post.
 Durbs 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

Could equally have been they didn't invite some people and would prefer not to let them know there was a wedding they weren't invited too...
 marsbar 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

I suppose it may be possible that there is an adult there who doesn't want to be photographed for domestic violence reasons or something?

If not then I don't really get it but who knows?

I actually only have facebook photos of our wedding.

There was an uncomfortable moment when my ex's new partner (that he 2 timed me with) commented on a photo of mutual friends at the party but its hardly the end of the world.
In reply to Skyfall:

Do feel free to see the last sentence of your first post as to why I responded.

OP Skyfall 07 Jul 2014
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat:

I didn't say I wasn't interested in your response. I am. I did however find your response quite pointed and not balanced in itself. The couple getting married are most important but aren't the only ones there and, in our case, everyone invested a lot of time/money in attending what was almost a week away so it's no small thing to effectively be banned from sharing photos. I'm trying to look at everyone's response to see if there is an established norm. There doesn't seem to be. I've asked around today as well and I would say most people (75%) find it v strange but a significant minority agree that photos should be kept completely private if asked.
 niallk 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Skyfall:
Ach, enough already! Just post your pics and face the consequences. They'll get over it!

For my 2p I think it is a little bit control-freaky and sympotamtic of the 'royalty for a day' thing. You choose to share a special day with some or all your friends, they have a great time, are excited for you and want to share the experience with you and each other afterwards. Big deal.

They also have a very different lense on the day than the official pics and you can see your mates having good craic when you were having to chat to your second cousin or whatever. This does all assume no inappropriate photos are shared I guess.
Post edited at 21:56
In reply to Skyfall:

You are right.

Our guests only paid with their time, gifts and petrol to the event. All the rest was covered.

We only asked for respect to be the ones that showed the pictures first.

Our photographer created a page link for people to see two days after the event. After that sharing was very welcome.
 FreshSlate 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

> Yes, I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

> Unfortunately, it means that we can't show friends our photos of what we were doing all last week (which incidentally cost US a lot of money and time).

> What I don't understand is that this isn't exactly a new phenomenon in itself. As I said, pro photos (in pre digital days) used to take weeks/months to appear. In the meantime, you were reliant on friends and family showing people (including you) their photos. That's what happened the last time I got married... I seem to recall this was all very normal. In this case, it's still going to take weeks and, in the meantime, we're effectively banned from showing anyone some of our photos of what WE did last week.

Was this your wedding or theirs? Stop banging on about the money you spent travelling, what you friends must think... you were invited to a event, they asked you not to share pictures with all and sundry on facebook. I get you think its weird, but it's not really a unreasonable request. If your mate is round your house asking, show them the pictures. Just don't whack them on the internet.
 Timmd 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Skyfall:
It's the 'If asked' part which is important I guess. There's stuff I don't share on facebook, and while I've not got married yet, if I was doing something as special as that, maybe it might be nice to keep the feeling of it being just shared amongst special people. Probably I'm just want any embarrassing pictures not being shared in the end.

I'm puzzled about why the time and effort and money which guests have put into attending has any relevance to sharing pictures, though, surely you go to a wedding to help the couple celebrate, with pictures being a secondary consideration?

Post edited at 22:51
 Neil Williams 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Skyfall:
That is rather odd. If I was getting married, I would be quite happy for photographs of what is meant to be the happiest day of your life to be shared!

I wonder (if it was a small affair) was it perhaps a little controversial with some of the friends and family of the couple?

However it would be rude not to respect their wishes.

Neil
Post edited at 22:57
M0nkey 08 Jul 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

I think this is fairly common nowadays - i've certainly come across it at a few weddings recently. The reason given in the weddings i went to was because the couple wanted to be the ones to post photos of their big day without everyone else stealing their thunder, which I thought was fair enough.

I made them an unofficial album from the photos I took and just gave it to them as an extra wee gift.
dave Sifford 08 Jul 2014
In reply to M0nkey:

This has been the norm a tthe last two weddings I've been to. At my brother's it was requested because they knew they had some friends who'd have pictures up on the net seconds after they tied the knot, and they didn't want the event to turn into a live commentry.

It seems fair enough to me. If you've paid for a photographer then you may well want the first photo's that come out to be the ones they choose, to make the biggest bang, that everyone comments on, rather than being religated to 'meh' because people have already waded through hundreds of random quality ones spread across various subsets of your friends.
 galpinos 08 Jul 2014
In reply to dave Sifford:
> It seems fair enough to me. If you've paid for a photographer then you may well want the first photo's that come out to be the ones they choose, to make the biggest bang, that everyone comments on, rather than being religated to 'meh' because people have already waded through hundreds of random quality ones spread across various subsets of your friends.

I must say, people opinions on the photos of my wedding on Facebook was something I never actually considered and now, having thought about it still don't understand why anyone would care? My "wedding photos" are to trigger memories of a fantastic day. Why would I care what appears on Facebook?
 Ramblin dave 08 Jul 2014
In reply to dave Sifford:

> It seems fair enough to me. If you've paid for a photographer then you may well want the first photo's that come out to be the ones they choose, to make the biggest bang, that everyone comments on, rather than being religated to 'meh' because people have already waded through hundreds of random quality ones spread across various subsets of your friends.

Does that not seem just a bit narcissistic? I always thought the point of wedding photos was to have them on the mantelpiece so you and your close family can relive the happy memories in your respective dotages, not to get as many "likes" on Facebook as possible...

FWIW, I'd obviously respect this sort of request but I've recently been through the all-your-friends-getting-married-in-quick-succession phase and none of them have requested that people keep photos off Facebook, and I'd have been a bit surprised if any of them had done.
In reply to Skyfall:

Maybe they have an exclusive deal with 'Hello' magazine...

I was on a train recently, and there were a bunch of teenagers returning from the beach. One bloke kept pleading with one girl not to post pictures of him on the beach, at least not without him 'vetting' them. It did seem all a lot of fuss about nothing...

Then on another journey, there were a group of women coming back from Ascot, where they had obviously been a bit worse for wear. So bad that they'd been snapped by the Daily Mail having a 'little sleep' (I.e. sprawled rather indelicately on the grass in a semi-comatose state). And this picture featured on the DM website. The girl's stepmother posted a link on her Facebook page, which seemed to upset the girl. Website of a national newspaper: no problem. Facebook page: end of the world. Weird...
 Blue Straggler 08 Jul 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:
> what you friends must think...

Aside from everything, I was wondering about this myself! My friends don't demand pictorial evidence of everything I've been up to each week, even if it was something "special".

In Skyfall's defence, I of course can see that perhaps he's been saying "we were all dolled up and it were reet grand" and friends are asking for pics. That's fair enough. I am not saying that they are "demanding evidence" but Skyfall's post almost suggests this :-/
Post edited at 13:42
 hokkyokusei 08 Jul 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Then on another journey, there were a group of women coming back from Ascot, where they had obviously been a bit worse for wear. So bad that they'd been snapped by the Daily Mail having a 'little sleep' (I.e. sprawled rather indelicately on the grass in a semi-comatose state). And this picture featured on the DM website. The girl's stepmother posted a link on her Facebook page, which seemed to upset the girl. Website of a national newspaper: no problem. Facebook page: end of the world. Weird...

I don't think it's that weird.
Facebook - all of my friends and family would see it.
DM web site - none of my friends and family would see it.

Blue Straggler 08 Jul 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

> photos of what we were doing all last week (which incidentally cost US a lot of money and time)

Your wording makes it look as if the money and time you invested was, in your mind, for the sake of getting photos rather than for the sake of attending the wedding! I am sure that's not the case, it is just your wording.

Personally, I would honour such a request with good grace and no questioning. It always takes me a while to get around to sorting through photos anyway. It's not a race, for me.

In reply to hokkyokusei:

> DM web site - none of my friends and family would see it.

Well, obviously, in this case, someone known to the girl did see it on the DM website. On the same day as the event itself...
 hokkyokusei 08 Jul 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Well, obviously, in this case, someone known to the girl did see it on the DM website. On the same day as the event itself...

Serves her right for being related (though in her defence, not by choice) to DM readers!
 KaRun 08 Jul 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

I can understand a request of not putting up pics of the newborn or something on social media, but to be honest when I got married I couldn't wait to share pictures of the amazing day...

But then what do I know, I'm separated... maybe that's where we went wrong haha!
 The New NickB 08 Jul 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

I think what some people forget is that a wedding is a public event, both legally and in terms of a public declaration of love. Clearly anything outside of the religious or civil ceremony is as private as the couple want it to be.

Obviously you should respect your friends wishes, but I do agree it is odd.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...