New Alpkit head torch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi,

Just ordered one of the new Alpkit Manta head torches.
Looks cool their most expensive model , if you can call 17.50 expensive with batteries.
Are these brand new, or has anyone got one yet ?

M
 TobyA 03 Jul 2014
In reply to MGC:

Those ones are only newish, my kids both got one for Xmas and neither of them have managed to break theirs yet! Seem good quality and work very well. The new ones I saw on the site are even cheaper and a bit smaller but have less features.
In reply to TobyA:

Ok cool, just seen a review from late 2013 on here.
I used to have the gamma but after a few years it bit the dust , since then I've just had a shed load of pound land cheep ones and not concerned myself when they broke or I lost them.
Still good for backup, but thought I'd invest in a bit better one as a main one and keep the numerous pound land tat in my many rucksacks as backups.

M
 Puppythedog 03 Jul 2014
In reply to MGC:

I bought one (but have lost it ) and I plan to buy another. i also bought their other one. The manta is worth way more than they charge when comparing to other brands in my opinion.
In reply to TobyA:

I was looking at them today. I'd hope that they have some form of power/brightness control, but I couldn't find any mention of this on the website. Do yours have power control?
 TobyA 03 Jul 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:

Just asked the kids; they say the flip switch on the mantas is a zoom/flood thing. Then there are the little leds, in different colours for lower power settings.
In reply to captain paranoia:

Yes the manta has a dimming ring and 4 different modes, it all on the web site.
White cree at 1200 lumens at 7 hours full power adjustable to 10% and 150 hours.
Red for maps
Geen and
Blue for distinguishing liquids.
Although the different colours have varying burn times.

M
In reply to MGC:

Thanks. the one torch I didn't look at was the Manta... I followed the recent emailshot link to the Viper and Indigo.
 Andy Say 03 Jul 2014
In reply to MGC:
On the Manta the ring control is focus. To dim you hold down the power button. Great torch but I could do without the coloured LEDs! If they were just low power white it would be truly great.

In reply to Andy Say:

I know what you mean , but sometimes the coloured stuff is just pure fun.

I particularly liked the gamma, the back-light function that either held constant or flashed red, great for following the leader through night trails.

They should do some more models, as their lights are all good.

Cant wait to get mine, I might go on a night hike Saturday to test it out if it arrives.

In reply to MGC:

Received mine Saturday morning and tested it out Saturday night.

Brilliant piece of kit.

Blindingly bright.

M
Alpjay 15 Jul 2014
In reply to MGC:

Thanks for the feedback on the headtorches - All of our lights have adjustable outputs:

Viper/Indigo - white only with Full power - 50% - 25% - Flashing along with smaller LEDs only in white to conserve battery when you don't need full beam!

Gamma and Manta have different colours and different brightness settings. The colours came from a necessity of needing them for a number of reasons.

Red - for night vision, hunters, fishermen and star gazers
Green - Pilots, boats and also when looking at an OS map without losing your night vision, as when you use red the contours disappear
Blue - Paramedics, as you can see fluid much easier
Flashing red - SOS emergencies and just conserving battery life.

Loom forward to hearing stories of adventures with the lights,

Jay

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...