Expedition food to Vietnam

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SteveD 03 Jul 2014
Hi

Bit of a long shot but someone might know. My son is traveling to Vietnam with a school trip and he suffers from a severe nut allergy. The school is now getting twitchy about this (two years after we mentioned it!) and I was wondering if anyone knows if there are restrictions about taking freeze dried food into the country?

I am thinking of sending some Mountain House meals with him to supplement the plain rice that he will be eating for 2 weeks.

Cheers

Steve
 Neil Williams 03 Jul 2014
In reply to SteveD:
I went on holiday to Vietnam and am gluten intolerant. The usual substitute ended up being very nice (and large) portions of egg fried rice with meat and vegetables. Shouldn't be difficult to make that nut-free provided they know not to put any nuts in.

Neil
Post edited at 10:44
OP SteveD 03 Jul 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

Thanks Neil, more concerned about cooking in nut oil to be honest, I have now spoken to the trekking company and they do not seem unduly concerned so I think it is just the teachers that are getting twitchy.

Cheers

Steve
In reply to SteveD:

Didn't think about nut oil. The following was an interesting read:-

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293921-i8432-k6460802-Going_to_Viet...

...referring to both cashew nut oil and peanut oil.

Is he allergic to peanuts as well? (Remember peanuts aren't actually nuts, they have more in common with peas or beans).

Neil
OP SteveD 03 Jul 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

I've done some more research and it would appear that traditional peanut oil is being replaced with soy in many cases as it is cheaper.

I have a card made up with a dire warning on it so he can show that to folk if necessary.

Cheers

Steve
In reply to SteveD:

Cool. Hope he has a good time.

Neil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...