Clothing for rock routes in the Dolomites

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 01 Jul 2014
I am heading for the Dolomites at the end of August.
What do people wear on rock routes, I am looking to do routes with a main sunny aspect.

I am thinking:
light softshell trousers, short sleeve thermal or long sleeve thermal, Montane Alpine stretch jacket. With a light gortex jacket, a primaloft jacket plus a hat and gloves in the bag.

Any advise.
 ripper 01 Jul 2014
In reply to Removed User:

sounds slightly overkill to me - I've generally gone with baselayer t-shirt, microfleece pullover, lightweight windshirt on the back of the harness and lightweight waterproof in the rucksack. softshell keks as you say, and no hat or gloves. BUT it obviously depends largely on the weather while you're there, the aspect and length of the routes you intend tackling, and how early in the morning you're planning to get out. my two-penn'orth anyway.
 Cheese Monkey 01 Jul 2014

Shorts, t-shirt and sun cream. Jacket if rain is forecast. I took all that on one route and it all remained stuffed in the bottom, even at the top.
 CurlyStevo 01 Jul 2014
if you are looking at the 250 metre towers around sella you can do many of them taking very little up with you.

I don't think I ever took more than thin soft shell troos, a base layer top, micro fleece and soft shell jacket. On good days that would be too much!

Some of the shorter climbs I didn't even take a rucksack!
Post edited at 21:20
 LucaC 01 Jul 2014

When we were there the first week was soft shell trousers and thermals, then base layer, fleece, soft shell, hat, and fitzroy for belays. Ended up with frost nipped toes from wearing socks in tight shoes to retain warmth! Second week was shorts and t shirts for every route, with a windshirt for long belays. A bit of a difference!
 Dave Williams 01 Jul 2014

Early morning starts up high in the shade may be uncomfortably cold at the end of August. If there's a stiff breeze as well it might even be cold enough for gloves.

So what you're asking is quite pertinent..

Otherwise, I agree, shorts and t-shirt would be the clothing choice in the sun, or cotton trousers and t-shirt if it was a bit cloudy/ breezy. Carrying minimal spare clothing in a 15L hydro-sack is sensible though.

Basically, dress appropriately for the route you're going to do and the prevailing conditions - sun/ shade/ weather in general.
 jezb1 02 Jul 2014

Jeans and a t shirt plus something spare in a bag...
 CurlyStevo 02 Jul 2014
In reply to Dave Williams:
That's true end of august the weather is changing. That's when we were there roughly also and whilst the weather was no where near as hot as it had been the first week in bregaglia it also wasn't that cold (freezing level around 3000 / high 2000's ish at lowest). I can imagine sometimes the freezing level can come down below the height of the towers in sella at night at that time of year.
Post edited at 08:38
 GridNorth 02 Jul 2014

I'm always loath to advise on matters like this because it depends on the conditions that you encounter. What you suggest would not be overkill if the conditions up high were snow storms in which case you would not be sorry that you had carried the extra. You are however more likely to experience short sharp, rainy storms in the afternoons. The one item that I might leave behind would be the Goretex jacket.

Unlike others however I cannot recommend jeans and T-shirts. Cotton is worse than useless in the mountains. It retains water, gets heavy and can contribute to the onset of hyperthermia. Ask any of the mountain rescue teams.
 jezb1 02 Jul 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

My Jeans are waterproof.
 BruceM 02 Jul 2014

- light light trou often rolled up to shorts
- long thermal top, with tech teeshirt over top when windy cold or swap between depends (great versatile lightweight trick)
- light precip rain jacket and/or light softshell jacket depends
- light liner gloves and hat

Works well for me. Sort of what you have, but maybe not taking all at once. Will all make sense and you will have your own system once you go on one or two routes over there.

End of Aug generally still hottest time. Beginning of Sept starts to get cold days often.

Have fun.
 victorclimber 02 Jul 2014

seem to remember back in the day Jeans ,head band ,and Hawkins Walkins ,with cloth anorak was the way to go
 Sankey 02 Jul 2014
In reply to Removed User: Bang on for me. Dolomites can be long routes sometimes to 3000 m, and arriving at the top at dusk. The primaloft packs into its own pocket and gives loads of comfort on those final shady belays when you are knackered and running out of energy. If it has a hood then I would leave hat behind and just take really light gloves.

It also rains there a fair bit so waterproof layer is a good plan.

Can go lighter on the more roadside venues, short routes on Cinque Torre, although would keep the waterproof handy as thunderstorms appear from nowhere.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...