What boot for summer walking?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Thrudge 25 Jun 2014
Afternoon, all. Could someone recommend a nice mesh-style boot for summer walking, please? No Goretex, because it gives me sweaty feet, and no trainer-styles, it's gotta be a boot.

What's good and what's not, folks?
In reply to Tony Naylor:

What's good is what fits your feet. But aside from that obvious truism..

By mesh style do you mean a boot without a full leather upper? Very few of those have no waterproof lining; daft really, a part-fabric upper with no lining could be great in warm conditions...

Non-lined boots that I have got on with include Meindl Borneo and Scarpa SL. Both really well made. Both are full grain leather uppers. Not the lightest, might seem a little too sturdy for summer, but they're less sweaty than an equivalent waterproof-lined boot in my experience.

Or go with shoes.
OP Thrudge 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:
> By mesh style do you mean a boot without a full leather upper?

Cheers, Dan. Yep, that's what I mean. Mesh fabric (or any fabric, really) so my horrible sweaty feet don't cook in their own juices.

> Or go with shoes.

Can't do shoes, I'm afraid. I wear orthotics for my wonky feet. These push my heel up just high enough to make shoes awkward - I get heel lift in shoes.
In reply to Tony Naylor:

I share your problem Tony - most shoes don't accommodate my (relatively modest) insoles either...

Just thought of another possible boot for you, Mammut Mercury Light, very summery and a non-lined version is available. See review here: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/gear/review.php?id=4273
OP Thrudge 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Well, it's fugly, but it certainly fits the bill. Thank you very much, sir!
altirando 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Tony Naylor:

Inov=8 have several lightweight boots, not sure if any are fabric or have gtx linings.
altirando 26 Jun 2014
In reply to altirando:

Perhaps the Roclite 286 (WEIGHT). Ultralightoutdoorgear are a major stockist for a quick look.
OP Thrudge 26 Jun 2014
In reply to altirando:

Thanks to everyone who replied. I've looked into all the suggestions, and what I've found is that the outdoor industry believes that Goretex is some kind of legal requirement. Looks like Mammut is the way to go, as they're the only ones flouting the law.
 Jenny C 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Tony Naylor:

> ............what I've found is that the outdoor industry believes that Goretex is some kind of legal requirement.

Rubbish isn't it?
 butteredfrog 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Tony Naylor:

Currently sporting a pair of Dolomite Steinbocks at the moment, so comfy!
 Joe G 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Tony Naylor:

I saw this advert the other day, for Scarpa Deltas
http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=590550

No idea what they're like to wear, but they appear to be a lighter, more summery version of the SL. I've been wearing SLs for years but have recently been using the Scarpa Charmoz which are excellent and so much lighter, but hot, goretex lined and a bit OTT for summer hillwalking. I know you asked for a mesh boot but given the lack of non Goretex lined ones it might be worth considering leather.
 allanscott 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Joe G:

Charmoz great for the winter hills or really tough, rocky terrain IMHO.
Salewa Mountain Mid is great for summer walking/scrambling. Not even the hint of a blister with 'em. Used for grassy Munros and/or boulder/scree like Red Cuillin etc. Thoroughly recommended. See the review elsewhere on this site.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...