The ultimate outdoor watch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bloodfire 18 Jun 2014
I'm looking at treating myself to mountaineering specific watch. I really like the look of the Suunto Core all black but am open to look for something that is highly rated.

What say you people?
In reply to Bloodfire:

Suunto Core all blk great watch ideal for walking/climbing
Saying that the Vector is still a great all rounder
I've had many over the years changing colours etc never failed
Me Just sold my core and upgraded to the new Ambit 2.should have
Kept my core B-)
Andy4 19 Jun 2014
In reply to stevieweesaxs107:

I second that,Have the ambit and what a pain in the arse it is to do simple things.Ie re calibrate Alti when on route ect.
Its great for training and I use it work regular,however I'm going back to the vector tied on my day sac for back on the hills.
 CharlieMack 19 Jun 2014
In reply to Bloodfire:

I've had my core all black for 5 years now. It's been great. The odd niggle here and there. But always sorts itself out. Well glad i bought it.
 AlanLittle 19 Jun 2014
In reply to Bloodfire:

I'm happy with my Casio ProTrek.

+ solar powered, no battery worries
+ robust. It's been soaked for days on end, been up Dolomite chimneys on my harness, never missed a beat, nary a scratch

- altimeter only updates every two minutes. Not a problem for me for hiking or climbing; could be an issue if you were relying on it to avoid skiing off a cliff in poor visibility.
 PPP 20 Jun 2014
In reply to AlanLittle:

Seconded. I've got Casio PRW-3000 which is really great. It's also an atomic watch so the time gets updated every night. Battery level is always high due to solar power. Auto light is available, too.

However, Suuntos usually have more functions (like altimeter lock), but I'm not bothered about that at all. It looks like that controlling a Casio is easier than Suunto (given that I've purchased Casio at the same time as my flatmate bought Suunto Vector, he still has no idea how to record an altitude log).
 GrahamD 20 Jun 2014
In reply to Bloodfire:

Presumably you are looking for something other than something to tell you the time ? for that a cheap casio waterproof is all you need and its not so upsetting when it gets graunched onsome grotty chimney pitch.
OP Bloodfire 20 Jun 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

I am specifically looking for a watch with an altimeter and other functions that might benefit me on a hill rather than just a watch that tells the time... I realise with phones and other gadgets, the simple task they are supposed to perform becomes blurred in the background of all the tech fandango which, is another thread altogether!

I don't wear my watch climbing, I've learnt the hard way that rock and glass don't get on very well.

planetmarshall 20 Jun 2014
In reply to Bloodfire:

Suunto Core is great. Top tip: wearing it attached to your rucksack straps might look cool but it ain't clever.
 PN82 20 Jun 2014
In reply to Bloodfire:

I use suunto altimax and is fantastic for year round mountaineering. In summer its worn on my wrist, in winter its on my rucksack chest straps. It may not be cool but there is a reason for doing this. If you wear the watch on your wrist in winter with gloves then its trapped under your gloves and jacket sleeve so its not easy to glance at. It also means exposing the most vulnerable part of your gloves (the big hole that your hand goes in) to rain/snow when looking at it therefore wetting your glove from the imside. I can seal my gauntlet gloves off under my jacket and still see watch face, simples
 AlanLittle 20 Jun 2014
In reply to PN82:
This is precisely why I chose a watch with a buckled strap, so that I can wear it on the outside of my jacket sleeve in winter. There's a limit to the viable jacket thickness for that approach though, and it's definitely easier to look at on a rucksack strap than clipped to a harness.
Post edited at 14:44
 Firestarter 22 Jun 2014
In reply to Ffion Blethyn:

I have a Suunto X10. Can't fault it.
andyathome 22 Jun 2014
In reply to Bloodfire:

Crivit ski watch from Lidl (when they come round again). Time / Chrono / Compass / Altimeter for £19.99. Just don't get the one's with 'sticky-out' buttons - they're pants.

Or spend a fortune.

Kai 23 Jun 2014
In reply to Bloodfire:

I have a Suunto Ambit2 R with the heart rate monitor and GPS.

Use it for working out, navigation, and keeping track of where I've been.

Works flawlessly. Highly recommended.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...