3 Peaks as a ride/run

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mattrm 11 Jun 2014
I've been punting this idea around in my head for a while. I've seen a few other folk do this and similar things (bit like the yacht race). Wondering if anyone has got any suggestions on this as a route. I'm assuming a fairly slow ride pace, of something around 15 mph or so. So around 10 hours riding the first day + 3/4 hours up the Ben. Similar kinds of times for the rest of the route, as while there's less riding and less running, you'll obviously be pretty stuffed by the time you get to North Wales. I'm pretty fit, have done a few ultras and a fair bit of fell running over the years. I know a few folk of similar fitness levels (who've done ultras and ironmans etc) who I might be able to persuade to come along.

Get the train to Fort William
Day 1 - Up the Ben, ride to somewhere like Moffat (160 miles) - B&B
Day 2 - Ride to Scafell (100 miles) up Scafell Pike, then either 70 miles to Morecambe (70 miles), or maybe somewhere a bit south of Kendal (40-50 miles depending on where).
Day 3 - Morecambe to Llanberis (150 miles) and then up Snowdon.

The idea would be to sleep in B&Bs/YHAs and eat out. So the bare minimum of kit, just running kit, bike kit, food for on the go. Maybe a small gas stove for brews.

Currently I'd be thinking of doing this next year to give suitable amount of prep and training time.

Has anyone done it before? Got an itinerary?
 The New NickB 11 Jun 2014
In reply to mattrm:

Are you a regular cyclist? 100 mile a day for a couple of days is OK, 150-170 is really pushing it, then you add in the walking / running up the hills.

It is probably possible, but on that schedule very, very hard, 3 15-18 hour days.
OP mattrm 11 Jun 2014
In reply to The New NickB:
I've done fairly lengthy rides before and please note:

"Currently I'd be thinking of doing this next year to give suitable amount of prep and training time."

Next year. I'll admit, I'm not an out and out roadie type. I'm aware it's a big challenge, that's largely the idea. I could spread it out over 5 days, if I wanted something a bit more leisurely. But I don't. Hence the big days.
Post edited at 11:39
 James FR 11 Jun 2014
In reply to mattrm:

Here's a report: http://www.theoutdoortimes.com/r_peaks_by_bike.html

According to the 'official' 3 peaks challenge website, the record is 46 and a half hours, set in 2008 by John McAvoy, Graeme Widdup and Nicholas Hudson.

Looks like fun!
 The New NickB 11 Jun 2014
In reply to mattrm:

It wasn't a dig, just don't underestimate the undertaking.
OP mattrm 11 Jun 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

> It wasn't a dig, just don't underestimate the undertaking.

Not underestimating it at all. Honestly, I'm actually wondering if any of my mates will be stupid enough to think it's a good idea.
OP mattrm 11 Jun 2014
In reply to James FR:

That's a very good link with some decent tips. I might get the maps out properly over the weekend.
 Carolyn 11 Jun 2014
In reply to mattrm:

Ali Morris recently did something similar, with a climbing route up each peak too - some details in this post:
http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?n=588468

Not sure if the tracking will still be live, but if so, it'll show the route - some interesting bits, like going in to Scafell Pike from Hardknott/Wyrnose area (and up a route on Esk Buttress), which might be a bit longer on foot, but knocks quite a lot off the ride. Similarly, Borrowdale approach might well be a better idea than riding round to Wasdale.

I lost track of the timings, but it was 4-5 days, I think. And south to north, which surprised me for no particularly good reason.
In reply to Carolyn:

We've an interview with Ali in the pipeline, should help answer some of the OP's questions
 marzi 11 Jun 2014
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

http://www.threepeaks-sorecheeks.co.uk/

these guys cycled and walked the three peaks in 72 hours, I guided them up scafell pike, They looked well tired and carried a few injuries too but mangaged to get it done,
OP mattrm 11 Jun 2014
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:
> We've an interview with Ali in the pipeline, should help answer some of the OP's questions

Would love to read that. Much more impressive than what I'm planning. Not sure I'd want to do routes as well as all the riding and running. I'm not surprised it took a bit longer.

Carolyn - yeah, the tracks are still there. I'd been planning on dodging the middle of the lakes as I don't fancy the passes unless I have to.
Post edited at 12:59
 Carolyn 11 Jun 2014
In reply to mattrm:

> Carolyn - yeah, the tracks are still there. I'd been planning on dodging the middle of the lakes as I don't fancy the passes unless I have to.

The coast road out south from Wasdale is hardly flat, either.... but yes, you need to find some compromise between distance and height gain!
llechwedd 12 Jun 2014
In reply to mattrm:

I cycled between them in 2012, but at a leisurely pace, as part of the British 3000's- South to North
Staying in B&Bs tends to cut into your routine because of late breakfasts.
Of the people I've heard of who have done it, most have had support vehicles. I guess that eases such issues, being able to set up and break camp and drum up breakfast from the vehicle.

Scafell was approached from Carnforth via Windermere and Keswick. Carlisle by pleasant back roads east of Skiddaw. There's a NCR running alongside much of the A74 which avoids dicing with heavy traffic to Gretna and North.

The route through the string of Lancashire towns will keep you on the alert- roadsigns, parked cars, traffic lights and junctions.

The Cycle route from Chester, along the N wales coast is good and flat except West of Aber, where it heads off uphill. The A55 pavement disappears at this point too, so the only option is the A55 itself. Not recommended.
I'd look closely at the maps from here to Llanberis, and plan well ahead.
Just before I set off from home, I met a man, Clive Hartfall, Who did the three peaks by bike, from his home in ?Waunfawr as a way of celebrating his 60th birthday. IIRC it was a pretty quick time too!
OP mattrm 12 Jun 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

> I cycled between them in 2012, but at a leisurely pace, as part of the British 3000's- South to North

How long did that take you then?

If I stay in a B&B I'd still want to head off early. I'd just ask for a packed lunch instead. I wouldn't want a support vehicle, I've got family and friends in various places along the route, so I'd just make sure that I'd arranged with them in advance for a medivac if needed.
llechwedd 12 Jun 2014
In reply to mattrm:

> How long did that take you then?

125 ish for the entire journey, 36 days to complete the three peaks. I don't think that's the slowest continuous journey between them- but it might be if you include a bike.
Steve Perry walked between them.

At journey's end, my son came up with my wife to pick me up at Crask inn. At Braemar, on the spur of the moment, he decided he would cycle back home.
It took him 3 days. He tells me that, on the final day, he got so cold (in July) that he tried to hang around inside an 'open 24hrs' Asda but was chucked out by security. In desperation, he pinched a big bog roll from the gents, and sloped off to some nearby shrubs where he tried to sleep, wrapped up in the bog roll for warmth!
Probably as well that you state the following:

> I've got family and friends in various places along the route, so I'd just make sure that I'd arranged with them in advance for a medivac if needed.

Nick Wallis 14 Jun 2014
In reply to mattrm:

A member of Dark Peak Fellrunners recently completed the (national) 3 peaks on his own, unsupported, using only public transport, bike and on foot in less than 24 hours.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...