Recommend me a walk in Snowdonia with a baby

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 drolex 01 May 2014
Hello collective wisdom,

spending the week-end in Bethesda, and looking for a walk carrying my daughter on my back. I think around 2-3 hours ascent is a reasonable objective, she gets grumpy after that. It can be more if there are good points to stop to let her play in the grass

Requirements:
- absolutely no scrambling (not that it's impossible but my wary wife will be there as well)
- not too exposed to wind: baby gets cold cheeks

Ideally an easy 3000er would be nice, I could imagine getting her to Y Garn but I have done it recently and would like something new. Otherwise not a massive knowledge of the area (except Snowdon, that I'd like to avoid as well).

Cheers
 Ramblin dave 01 May 2014
In reply to drolex:

I'd have thought that anything that gets you up a hill will be reasonably exposed to the wind, but here are a couple of ideas -
* over the back from Capel (the track up by the LMC hut) to the big reservoir then back over Pen Llithrig y Wrach or along the side (I don't know what the paths are like for the latter bit but up to the plateau behind Capel is lovely)
* Llyn Dinas to Pont Aberglaslyn and then back through the valley behind the copper mines
* Capel to Pen Llithrig y Wrach to Pen yr Helgi Du and back.
* Yr Aran via the Bwlch Cwm Llan from Rhyd Ddu
* Moel Eilio etc from Llanberis.
 Choss 01 May 2014
In reply to Ramblin dave:
Would Recommend the oft Neglected moel eilio as well. A Steady walk and great panorama From top. Easy to extend along top if the mood Takes you.

Did it Myself with wean on Back. You can park at old quarry on Flank, on Minor road up From Waunfawr village, makes it a bit more pleasant and easier than up From beris in my Opinion.

And mynydd mawr (pachyderm peak), cnicht, hebog group.
Post edited at 09:45
OP drolex 01 May 2014
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Thanks for the suggestions, I will have a look.

Regarding the wind, I know what I want is a bit confusing - but there are places where you get a disproportionate amount of wind, while some paths are a bit more protected (in the Peak, Shining Tor is very windy whereas a few paths up Kinder Scout are quite protected in my experience - it's very relative)
 GrahamD 01 May 2014
In reply to drolex:

From experience, its very easy for baby to get very cold in a carrier if at all exposed. I think the carrier restricts leg circulation a bit. Anyway, wrap them up well !
OP drolex 01 May 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

Yep I have already experienced that, I try to be very cautious now, with a lot of stops to let her crawl and walk around (she caused a cuteness overload on Pen-y-Ghent, dressed as a bear). But it's very nice to see how she enjoys being out with us.
altirando 01 May 2014
In reply to drolex:

Look at the forested area behind Betws y Coed, pleasant walks around the lakes. Even better, walk across to Lake Crafnant from Capel Curig, round the lake on the north side track first so you come back along the lane so can stop off at the café!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...