Ledge Route, 22nd April - not much snow after all!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tlbno1 23 Apr 2014
As it turned out, the Ledge route was mostly free of snow. Kept crampons on all the way in the vain hope they were needed. Walked on every bit I could find, just to justify them!
Good day out all the same even in the wind. Saw folks on the CMD and wondered how they were managing to stay on their feet?

http://notquitetouchingthevoid.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/ledge-route-ben-nevis...

https://www.facebook.com/tim.brigg.7/media_set?set=a.10152412617486660.1073...
 peebles boy 23 Apr 2014
In reply to tlbno1:

Wow. Lots of melting has gone on since last week, I had my crampons on from start of number five all the way round ledge route and the CMD (and needed them!)

Looks like you had a good day out regardless
 NottsRich 24 Apr 2014
In reply to tlbno1:

Out of interest, why did you keep your crampons on if they weren't needed? Weren't they just a PITA!?

Nice pictures though.
 Simon Caldwell 24 Apr 2014
In reply to tlbno1:

> As it turned out, the Ledge route was mostly free of snow

You mean it was in exactly the condition that I said it was
OP tlbno1 25 Apr 2014
In reply to NottsRich:

Yeah they were a pain!
OP tlbno1 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

More or less!)
 Finn Curry 29 Apr 2014
In reply to tlbno1:

Hey. How was the bottom of no.5, on the way up to the start of Ledge Route, for snow? I'm thinking of taking a mate up there next weekend but he's not a winter type - is the snow avoidable? Couldn't properly tell from the photos.

Cheers.
 Finn Curry 29 Apr 2014

Thanks Simon - still a fair bit in the lower part, not ideal, but I guess if it's soft enough (if it gets some sun) and there's a whole load of bucket steps kicked in then it may be a goer.

Cheers.
OP tlbno1 29 Apr 2014
In reply to Finn Curry:

Hi ,

As Simon has said, basically that first section into 5 and right onto the ramp is about the only snow on the route. The other small bits are avoidable. Depends on how confident your mate is as its only 10 mins or so on the snow

Tim
 Simon Caldwell 30 Apr 2014
In reply to Finn Curry:

When we did it, it had been a cold night (people climbed Comb Gully and Green Gully that morning), but crampons weren't needed for the approach (we actually wore them but they got in the way and I took mine off).
 Finn Curry 30 Apr 2014

In reply to tlbno1:

Thanks very much for the info Tim and Simon. It sounds like its good for us to do if the bits on the upper section are all avoidable - be nice to see a bit of snow lower down, I only got a week away this winter!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...