Has anyone trekked/camped the walkers haute route? Cham-Zermatt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Big Bad Bob 22 Apr 2014
I am looking to do this trek in August, staying in a tent to save money, but eating in the huts along the way (to save weight) and am looking for some advice... Do you definately need boots for this trip? Could I get away with fabric walking trainers and scree gaiters? I have looked for non-gtx fabric boots, but outside of military desert boots nothing seems to exist in this sodden country.

Also what is the lightest weight tent I could get away with? I have a macpac minaret that is 2.5kg, 4 season rated and bombproof, although a bit heavy for one to carry. I have been looking at the wild country zephyros 2 lite which would easily save me a kg in weight alone. What sort of weather can be expected camping at altitude/hut level in the Summer months?

Finally, are crampons/spikes and an axe really necessary? I will have trekking poles and imagine that the vast majority of the trail is on clearly marked mountain paths? Certainly, that was my experience in Switzerland when doing similar hut-2hut.

Apologies for all the Q's,but this is a totally new sort of trip for me. Any advice or tips most welcome!
 DaveHK 22 Apr 2014
In reply to Big Bad Bob:

I did most of it with (not really on) my bike last summer.

Given that we did it in SPD cycling shoes (me) and a pair of ancient Hi-Tech fabric boots (mate) I'd say you'll be fine in approach shoes or such like.

We did it in July last year and found some extensive snow patches but nothing that was in any way difficult. This winter has been much less snowy so by August there should be no problem.

The route is well marked and the Cicerone guidebook is very useful.

Be super discrete wild camping in Switzerland. They really don't like it.

As for the weather who knows - you could have anything from 30 degree heat to fresh snow on the high passes!
 Doug 22 Apr 2014
In reply to Big Bad Bob:

If you're going to eat in huts why not stay in them? the cost of a new tent would cover the cost (I can see the advantages of camping but for that you'll need a stove, food etc & have a much heavier sack)
 DaveHK 22 Apr 2014
In reply to Big Bad Bob:

I should add that we missed the section from Verbier to Arolla as it was looking like the paths were too rough and the Europaweg as some other bikers told us it would be mostly carrying.
 Paul Everett 22 Apr 2014
In reply to Big Bad Bob:

Have done all the sections but never in one go. Stayed in huts and camped out but without tent. Under boulders etc. Would strongly recommend boots with ankle support. So easy to twist an ankle. Staying in huts does give yoû the possibility of meeting with others. Not impressed with Europaweg - in places very obviously an artificial path and probablyx down in the valley near the river more interesting. Never had to use ice axe or crampons but have always had good boots which work in snow.
When you pass the col de Louvie, rather than follow the marked trail traverse right and get on to the bottom of the glacier - no danger and crampons not needed and at least you will get an initial feel of the glacier. Easy to regain the marked path without losing height.
Also have never done Orsières to Verbier. Just not been tempted.
If you want to save money then load up with bread and cheese in the villages which you pass through every two days.
Might also be possible to camp next to huts if you eat there. Just do not know. Otherwise just wander off the trail a couple of hundred meters and find a hollow or a rock. Use of stoves be careful might not be allowed if weather very dry.
Its a great walk and the Ciicerone guide is very helpful
 Paul Everett 22 Apr 2014
In reply to Big Bad Bob:

Regarding snow. Contrary to what someone above says there is a lot more snow than usual above 2000 metres but should not cause a particular problem
 DaveHK 22 Apr 2014
In reply to Paul Everett:
> (In reply to Big Bad Bob)
>
> Regarding snow. Contrary to what someone above says there is a lot more snow than usual above 2000 metres but should not cause a particular problem.

Not what I saw last week in Cham in comparison to the same time last year. Less snow at all elevations. Are you referring to areas further east?

Paul Everett 22 Apr 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

Then it depends on area. Not sure how high up you were but even on the Jura above Geneva there is snow lying around on south facing slopes at around 1500 metres. And a couple of days ago there were still patches of snow on the Saleve where it normally has disappeared ages ago. It is melting quickly and certainly by August there will just be patches. Wish it was the same in Scotland where I am going next week.
I was only pointing it out to emphasise that boots would be useful. The route is pretty remote and would be a challenge except that so many people do it.
 BruceM 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Big Bad Bob:

Just take the outer (fly) of the Minaret, not the whole caboodle. Nice light weight alpine shelter. I use this all the time in the alps. Your rollmat is the ground protection
rinch 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Big Bad Bob:

I did about half of the tour last year, starting from the Zermatt end and one of the guys we were with was in trail running shoes. Personally, I'd go for something with ankle support but it can be done. I certainly wouldn't bother with crampons or an ice axe. Even if you have snow on the trail I doubt you'd ever want to use them.

On the route we met a guy with a tarp who was camping along the way and he seemed to be having a whale of a time. As someone mentioned you'll have to be prepared wait till nightfall to pitch a tent and be very discrete about it. Some of the stages end in villages so you might have to hike quite a way out at night to find a spot to wild camp. Have you considered geting a bivvy bag? You can get an army surplus one for about 40 quid.

I did the europaweg section which has been widely criticised, it's a path across a massive series of scree slopes which falls apart as the rocks shift. It's passable but leave plenty of time to take it slowly. And be aware that one of the bridges on it has been down for several years which can add a couple of hours to that day.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...