Urban Rock Technical Ice Axes pair deals

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi.

Urban Rock have got some pretty sweet online deals going on....

....Including Technical Ice Axes.

http://www.urbanrock.com/technical-ice-axe-pair-deals

Is it worth getting a pair now for Scottish Winter and training.

I heard from Greg Boswell and he said that if I loose weight I can climb as hard as he can with Ice Axes because we have similar builds.

Sav

crayefish 21 Apr 2014
In reply to Mountain Spirit:

> I heard from Greg Boswell and he said that if I loose weight I can climb as hard as he can with Ice Axes because we have similar builds.

Certainly; to climb grade VIII+, the right build is the only real thing needed. Don't worry too much about practise or training and just get a top set of technical axes and you're good to go next winter.
In reply to crayefish:

thanx

peple keep telling me I am going to be good at ice because of my build.

sav

Your build has nothing to do with how good you are on ice. It's all about the size of your balls!
 crayefish 21 Apr 2014

Sarcasm is difficult to portray in text.
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

You are talking about mental/psychological strength aren't you?

Sav

jezb1 21 Apr 2014

I suspect that is what he means and do you know how you improve that?

Go climbing.
In reply to crayefish:

True.

In winter - the approach/walk - in and descent can be very dangerous so I will attend a winter walking or winter skills course next season before hand.

Sav

In reply to jezb1:

I got my Birchen Edge trip this May and 1:1 with PyB.

Do you do self rescue courses?

mark s 21 Apr 2014

any one else got de ja vu?

savvas,is technical ice climbing really for you?
600 miles round trips will be less frequent than your trips to the peak.
In reply to mark s:

Hum.

People say I will be good at it.

Not sure if I will like or enjoy it though.

I liked the one at Ellis Brigham but Scotland and The Alps will be a completely different bag of beans.

CurlyStevo 21 Apr 2014
Sav last time we talked I believe you said that Croydon mountaineering club revoked your membership and refunded your money as you struggled to cope with walking in the UK mountains in summer. Winter climbing is a whole heap of pain and suffering harder than this and also potentially exposes you to many more dangers and is probably not suited to you. If it ever is you will need to be able to cope with the summer mountain environment first IMO.

I would concentrate on your next single pitch rock trip that nath has organised for you. Are you still going on that?
Post edited at 20:17
Bonni82 21 Apr 2014

Sav, cmon buddy reality check. Despite peoples kind efforts, you are yet to take up anyones offer on a little rock climbing jaunt.
You have no experience and only seem to talk about climbing, banned from groups, etc etc..
You admit you struggle to walk on uneven and rocky ground, balance problems etc which is a huge issue. And now are talking about the possibility of technical climbing? Please dont make yourself sound silly.
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Me, Nik and Nath are going to sort out some dates after this weekend.

Also goin to do some 1:1 staff with PyB includig hillwalking....

If it goes well I will do a hillwalking course at PyB.

Cool as beanz.

In reply to Bonni82:
Greg has read my blog.

I've got a trip planned but waiting till after a Christenning and Nath to come back from his holiday to arrange (a) date(s).

I am going to do some summer stuff including hillwalking first.

My balance and coordination are improving.

Sav
Post edited at 20:30

Let's not put any more replies to this thread.

CurlyStevo 21 Apr 2014

Thinking you will ever climb anything like greg boswell is nothing more than a dream - it will never happen. This lack of ability to know what you are and will be capable of is one of the things that concerns me most about you and climbing outside. It could easily expose you to dangers that you will not be able to cope with. I've seen it before and it didn't end well.
Bonni82 21 Apr 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:
I do not believe he will even get close to putting himself in those situations. I feel that sav knows he is being unrealistic but cant seem to be honest to himself.

From talking about indoors,outdoors, to being offered a trip out, but turning it down due to a 'cold'..to enquiring about an expedition climbing hard vertical rock in greenland, messaging kenton cool on fb about it, then slating it on here lol. Now to climbing like greg..When in reality he has a few hours indoor experience is crazy.
Post edited at 20:48
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Okay then.

I trust my feet more now.

The post was about The Axe deals and I briefly mentioned Greg.

They also have quick other offers like qd offers.

In reply to Bonni82:

I could not delete my reply to the post because you can not after 30 mins.

Greg has read my blog.

CurlyStevo 21 Apr 2014
In reply to Bonni82:
you are probably right.
Post edited at 21:06
 CurlyStevo 21 Apr 2014

A blog generally describes stuff you've done. Even indoor climbing could be in your blog. Why don't you actually add stuff to it like you would a diary.
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Worth to put about being confident on 5a uk tech in it?

CurlyStevo 21 Apr 2014
what about pictures of actual boulder problems and top ropes you have completed in one go without falling off or resting! Showing how you are progressing or at least what you are doing.

Even blogging progress on stuff where you have managed to get further than you did last time could be added. I would try and steer clear of stuff you think you will be able to do though as it could come across as rather unrealistic.
Post edited at 21:08
 jezb1 21 Apr 2014

> Worth to put about being confident on 5a uk tech in it?

When you are outside, yeah why not?

Now? No.
Bonni82 21 Apr 2014

Sav, have you done any climbing courses or anything before?
 jezb1 21 Apr 2014

> Do you do self rescue courses?

Yes but you need to be a competent outdoor climber first.

crayefish 21 Apr 2014

> Also goin to do some 1:1 staff with PyB includig hillwalking....

> If it goes well I will do a hillwalking course at PyB.

Yep... hillwalking just the same as ice climbing! Almost no fitness or technique needed whatsoever.

Dude, we all have aspirations but have some perspective. It's like claiming you're going to be a commercial pilot after flying a kite one time.

Think about the NEXT step, not 500 steps ahead of yourself.

gethin_allen 21 Apr 2014

If you think you'll need technical axes for this then go ahead as it's about as close as you'll likely get to mountaineering.
youtube.com/watch?v=9U0tDU37q2M&
 DaveHK 21 Apr 2014

> Worth to put about being confident on 5a uk tech in it?

Lots of grade 8s are only 5a.

In reply to Bonni82:

Outdoors or indoors?

I did my rope course at The Castle.

I did a 1:1 course at PyB for toproping.

Sav

In reply to jezb1:

Does that mean being able to lead?

Bonni82 21 Apr 2014

What date at pyb?
In reply to crayefish:

Just saying what I am going to do.

Is it worth doing sessions twice a month at Ellis Brigham.

CurlyStevo 21 Apr 2014

Did they teach you to put up top ropes at PYB or just take you top roping?

Did you actually set up top ropes in a variety of different circumstances and have the instructor assess them?
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Just took me climbing.

I did The Trust Your Anchors course at The Outdoors Show.

Sav

CurlyStevo 21 Apr 2014

"Is it worth doing sessions twice a month at Ellis Brigham."

No in my opinion as the barrier to entry is being able to safely winter walk. To be able to do that you will need to be proficient at walking in the mountains in summer.

I would start with walking pretty tame stuff like a stretch of the south downs way or even stuff on Richmond park / Wimbledon common and build your self up very slowly seeing what you can cope with, progressing with further distances and more complex navigation.

If you do master walking in the summer mountains then progressing to winter walking may be appropriate, however I don't want to build your hopes up as this may never happen.
 crayefish 21 Apr 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

> If you think you'll need technical axes for this then go ahead as it's about as close as you'll likely get to mountaineering.

Hahaha not seen that sketch before! What Circus season is that from?
In reply to Bonni82:

Are you talking about the 1:1 course I did or the one I am goin to do?

Sav

CurlyStevo 21 Apr 2014
I think it's fair to say you don't really understand how to set up top ropes safely yet then. As I've said before I would get an instructor to take you out and assess what is going to be possible for you. It may well be that you will need people around you to look after you and make outdoor climbing safe enough for you even for top roping. You need to work out what boundaries are safe you to operate within and I believe the best way for you to do this is to hire professionals 1:1.

This is like a stuck record I've said this again and again for 18 months to you Sav but it goes in one ear and out the other, you only hear what you want to.

I'm out of this thread.
Post edited at 21:38
Bonni82 21 Apr 2014

The one you did..
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Well I've asked PyB for 1:1 instruction.

I've got the day with Nath, Nik and Nath's instructor.

Sav

In reply to Bonni82:

End of may...

I think it was 25-27th.

Sav
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Cool beanz.

Sav

Bonni82 21 Apr 2014
Also sav, I did a little search through your previous threads, spanning back to 2012, pretty much with the same theme. Take this is the nicest possible way, but do you have mental health problems? I mean for example this from 2 years ago on the 'Advice on The Cassin Route on The Piz Badile!' you start with this;

Hi.

Has anyone done the Cassin Route on The North Face of The Piz Badile?

I am planning to do it this summer with Kenton Cool - it would be his first time doing it along with my first time!

What is the rock and climbing like on it?

I have been told it is French Sport 5+ at its most difficult pitches/sections and the climbing is mainly steep slabs, bridging and chmneying!

Is this true?

Bridging, chimneying and slabs are my speciality and what i am very good at!

What is everyone's experience on this route like?

Bye

to this;

Yes you are right about The central Pillar of Freney.

I think to do it without aid you need to be able to climb f7b+ indoors as it f7a/7a+ on rock!

If it is aid climbed using pitons it is f6b/+ A2/A3!

I think I can easily lead HVS as I can do French Sport 5+ and Font 5 moves!

to this;

Hi Liz.

I think you are right about soloing easy routes on Troll Wall!

I am now onsighting French 5+ and doing Font 5 and 5+ moves!

My belaying is fast and spot on now!

And so on and so forth...

Post edited at 21:46
In reply to Bonni82:

I do think I have but will speak 2 my GP.

I never did those routes.

I thought those threads were either archived or removed.

Sav

CurlyStevo 21 Apr 2014
When you say
"
I heard from Greg Boswell and he said that if I loose weight I can climb as hard as he can with Ice Axes because we have similar builds."

Is that in a similar vein to when you told me you bullshit a lot all your friends know that?

Do you remember this thread?

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=568657&v=1#x7569769

"
Hello.

I saw Greg Boswell's profile photo on ukc and a photo of him doing powerdab....

He has a similar body shape to me i.e. big shoulders and muscle.

Bye

Sav"

Deja vu Savas?

Stevo

PS I really am leaving the thread now
Post edited at 22:02
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Stevo.

He told via facebook chat.

I remember that.

liz j 22 Apr 2014

Haha, you really are taking the piss now Savvas. I was giving you the benefit of doubt, and thinking that you were just a bit naive/enthusiastic/a dreamer, but now I just think you are on a wind-up mission!!

Climb as well as Greg Boswell??? You gotta be kidding me....
Bonni82 22 Apr 2014
lol liz, I did wonder if you would pop in on this thread.
In reply to liz j:

I think I am a bit of a dreamer and tad too enthusiastic.

The main body of the post was about getting a pair of Ice Axes from Urban Rock.

They can be used for dry tooling/indoor ice climbing at Ellis Brigham, Ice Factor or Craggy 1 Dry Tolling Wall.

I asked him so not my words.

CurlyStevo 22 Apr 2014
In reply to liz j:

From speaking to savvas in private there is no doubt he knows he makes stuff up from time to time. There is also no doubt to my mind he's real and suffers quite badly with dyspraxia. The two are linked IMO. There is some disconnect going on with fantasy and reality.
 liz j 22 Apr 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:
Oh, I know he's real.
Savvas, I wouldn't bother buying axes, you can always hire them when you go climbing at Ellis Brigham. No point having something sat in your cupboards that you aren't going to use. Can't see you getting up to Scotland for winter climbing if you can't make it to the Peak for a day's bouldering.
Save your money.
Post edited at 08:27
 blackcat 22 Apr 2014
In reply to Bonni82:Liz like others cant keep away from savvas posts.He lightens up ukc.SAVVAS JUST GO CLIMBING.I hope your keeping your word to climb with nath because i ve got a feeling that may be your last offer here.

Mutl3y 22 Apr 2014
In reply to blackcat:

I agree. I always click on MS posts. They are funny as. Could I climb Scottish VIII despite being unable to walk up the road? Would I handle the Hintertoisser Traverse despite my mild dyslexia? Sould I solo The Eternal Flame with a bath related wrist injury?

I don't know dude, give it a bash...or don't...but keep the posts coming. You've lightened this place up.
 Nath 22 Apr 2014

In my opinion I wouldn't buy axes, especially technical axes.

You won't get a huge amount of use out of them - hire or borrow them as and when you need to.

I would hire or borrow first - try lots of different brands & models before you buy.

Nath
 BCT 22 Apr 2014
In reply to Bonni82:

That's a lot of time spent gathering evidence to ridicule someone! I wish I had that much spare time!

I'm sure he (and everyone) knows the "history". If you're fed up with the repetitive nature of his advice requests etc then just stop reading the posts. It's highly unlikely you are actually helping. No offence.

Savvas- maybe get a walking axe first and try out some alpine stuff in the summer or get in the last of the snow (not sure how much is left!).

B

Urban rock have had good deals for ages!

Have you been hibernating!
In reply to Nath:

I do not think I will buy axes.

Sav

In reply to Euan McKendrick:
I get e-mail bulletins from outdoor shops.

If you are referring to me not posting a lot I have decided to spend less time posting on UK Climbing and more time on other stuff.

I have a new blog post by the way.

Urban Rock are cheaper than a lot of other shops.

Post edited at 01:34
In reply to Beth-Cath-T:

Thanx.

Not sure if i will due a 1:1 Alpine Course to learn the basics like crevasse rescue, roping together etc.

For Scottish Winter next season is it worth purchasing a tranceiver, an avalanche probe and a shovel?

Sav

mark stones 23 Apr 2014

Hi Sav. I have read a lot of your posts on here, you certainly bring a lot of colour to ukc..lol.
Do yourself a BIG favour, find a partner and just go climbing, you will get a bigger buz out of a good day on the grit than you ever will just reading about climbing on the Internet.
Good look, Mark.
 mark s 23 Apr 2014

no savvas,total waste of money.

buy some nice walking boots and visit the areas close to home.just as challenging for you.
 mark stones 23 Apr 2014
In reply to mark stones:

I meant good luck, , lol
In reply to mark s:

Got walking boots already.

A nice pair of Karrimors.

In reply to mark stones:

Teaming up with Nath and his instructor friend for some Grit action.

Thanks.

mark stones 23 Apr 2014

Don't let them, or your self down, turn up and have a grest day.you may not get many more offers if you cancel again!!
It wasn't a dig at you not posting, glad to hear you're expanding elsewhere! I use urban rock a fair bit, brilliant shop, good deals always!
Post edited at 12:17
In reply to mark stones:

Cool as beanz.

full stottie 23 Apr 2014

Hi Sawas,

Read this post from yesterday -it describes perfectly what it feels like to do a route outside for the first time. Let it inspire you!

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?n=584984

Dave
In reply to full stottie:

Love it!....

Replied to the post!

No worries.

Do you climb at WestWays or The Readinbg Climbing Wall?

IMO they are cheaper then Rock On and Cotswold Outdoors.

Got to read more books before I even think about doing winter walking etc.

I have another limitation - my flat feet!

Sav

Nath 23 Apr 2014

Good shout on buying a walking axe first, a single axe should get you up gentle slopes which you should be attempting before ever needing a pair of tech axes. But again I would borrow first - eBay is a good place to pick up a first axe but try to borrow or hire if you can

Nath

I'm Swindon based, climb in Bristol mainly. Been to reading a few times but the wall isn't that great!

Get superfeet. I use them and they work!
 Offwidth 23 Apr 2014

If it makes you feel any better, hundreds of people every year buy ice axes they will never use enough to justify the cost. If only they asked about great ice axe deals on UKC first! Probably a third of climbers I see indoors have unsuitable rock shoes (too tight or too technical/expensive for their ability level). Climbing equipment manufacturers profit levelsmwould dip significantly without bad choices
In reply to Offwidth:

This is a very good point! Why spend 300 quid or something to use for one week of the year!

Cool as beanz....

My brother and his gf live in Bristol?

Where about do you climb in Bristol?

I was going to get them for skiing.

My final limitation - which - I am doing something about - is my belly and strength:weight ratio.

Offwidth 23 Apr 2014

I'm in the higher end belly to weight ratio club, welcome aboard.
In reply to Offwidth:

I have seen them to....

People buy rock shoes that are several sizes too small for them....

Whilst others buy Scarpa Boostiks or the painful very tight slipper style climbing shoes....

One word OUCH!!!!

I also see a few people wearing La Sportiva Solutions and La Sportiva Futuras.

I wear 5:10 Anasazis in my own size (10).

You are right about the manufacturer's profit margin.

In reply to Offwidth:

Thanks

Agreed...

But you can train indoors with them and use them in The Alps to.

I've decided not to get any Ice Axes for now.

Sav

I like TCA or Bloc, indoor bouldering specific. Brilliant centers.

I am also a keen member of the larger than life climbers club! The power to weight ratio, as it stands, is on the wrong side of weight!

I have heard of TCA but not Bloc.

Near me, The Arch and Craggy 2 are indoor bouldering specific whilst The Mile End Wall is IMO 90% bouldering with a small toprope and leading area.

I think I belong to that club!

I have that problem to.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...