Gribin Ridge, Ogwen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Skyfall 17 Apr 2014
I've been up and down this loads of times in summer and winter and always been quite strict re scrambling. However, how do you think a fit 70 year old with good walking but limited scrambling experience would find it, taking easy lines? I seem to recall there are sections where you are forced onto some tricky ground and I don't want them to have tooo much of a challenge.

Thanks.
 The Potato 17 Apr 2014
In reply to Skyfall:
dunno, joss naylor would be fine.
Cant say untill you know more about the person really
Also, going up isnt likely to be a problem, all the routes down from Glyder fawr are quite steep
Post edited at 19:30
OP Skyfall 17 Apr 2014
In reply to ow arm:
Yes, I did think that going up it would be easier than descending it. But you're probably right and I ought to do a bit more walking with them to assess their abilities a bit better.

Will probably just go up the Kitchen and down the easy ridge descent on Y Garn. That will certainly be long enough and might well be exciting enough too.
Post edited at 19:47
In reply to Skyfall: Like yourself I've only ever stuck close to the edge for maximum scrambling interest but there is also a path on Y Gribin that seems to avoid pretty much everything.
In reply to Skyfall:

The top section of the NNE ridge of Y Garn is very loose and steep, after that it's very straightforward. It's arguably better to ascend this first then go down to llynau y cwn and down devil's kitchen.
OP Skyfall 17 Apr 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
That's great, thanks, and to other tips on this thread.

Is the descent down into the devils kitchen (down the slabs etc) not a bit tricky at some points, or is it ok really?

Funny how you never worry about these things for yourself and then feel flumoxed when acting as a "guide".
Post edited at 21:05
 ianlaw 17 Apr 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

IT's steep and scree covered, seems to go on forever, but then again I do hate scree paths!
In reply to Skyfall:

Devils kitchen is easy enough nothing that should cause too many issues.
In reply to Skyfall:

The Gribin is a lot easier than the NNE ridge of Y Garn and The devils kitchen.

The NNE ridge of Y Garn is quite exposed along the top and has a couple of bad steps.

The Gribin is only just a step up from walking.

If theyre a novice and you feel confident theyll get up a grade 2 scramble mabe the ridge to the right of Idwal slabs, then seniors ridge, then descend the Gribin. Or you could just do seniors ridge then descend the Gribin at grade 1.
 Mike Peacock 20 Apr 2014
In reply to Double Knee Bar:

Is there not some confusion here? Are you referring to the East Ridge of Y Garn (Castell y Geifr) when you say NNE (which is g2). I presume Highclimber was referring to the standard walking route up Y Garn from Cwm Clyd when he said NNE ridge.
In reply to Mike Peacock:

indeed I was Mike.
In reply to higherclimbingwales and Mike:

Yup, you're right. I'm mixing them up.

I did the grade 2 last year in high winds. Quite sketchy with the odd loose bit if I remember rightly.

Sorry if i've confused the OP.
 Banned User 77 21 Apr 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

I think its fine.. a race uses it.

Its very very low grade 1, I'd take the dog up it, and you can pick your path.

N ridge of Garn is nice, nice views, very much in the hill walking not scrambling.. but nice views down Ogwen..
 Banned User 77 21 Apr 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

> Will probably just go up the Kitchen and down the easy ridge descent on Y Garn. That will certainly be long enough and might well be exciting enough too.

I'd do it the other way.. I think up the North ridge is nicer, then down the steps in the kitchen.
OP Skyfall 21 Apr 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

Thanks Iain and everyone. We just went up the kitchen, y Garn, down the north ridge. Was about right but going up the kitchen was challenging enough for them. Gribin ridge would certainly have been too much.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...