How to thread a Black Diamond Talon?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alex@home 14 Apr 2014
Just borrowed one of these and it is not threaded.
Searching has told me that
a) it needs to be threaded differently from a Grappling Hook
b) need to tie the knot on the back and then thread through

but that's all.

Can anyone fill in the gaps on how to thread it?
Thanks
needvert 14 Apr 2014
OP Alex@home 14 Apr 2014
In reply to needvert:

thanks very much
i've only got some 10mm tape at the moment. is that going to be too thin?
needvert 14 Apr 2014
In reply to Alex@home:
It's up to you and your judgement of webbing strength, durability and whether your knot will pull through.
Keep in mind that hooking is predominantly bodyweight only placements and even those frequently blow without warning.

(I don't own any 10mm webbing so have no idea how bulky your knot will be)
Post edited at 14:32
OP Alex@home 14 Apr 2014
In reply to needvert:

ok thanks
 jkarran 14 Apr 2014
In reply to Alex@home:

You could larks foot a short sling into it if you're not sure the knot won't pull through

Also you lose very little by simply threading the hole and tying to form a loop, at least that way the wear isn't concentrated on one part of the sling and you can't accidentally separate/drop the hook or sling while handling it. However you sling it it's still a hook, the sling isn't the sketchy bit

jk
 Baron Weasel 15 Apr 2014
In reply to Alex@home:

I think my mates one is just on 8mm rope, like you used to tie hex's with in the old days.

My advice with using a Talon is look down when you are testing your placement and wear glasses. I have a nice little scar just above my left eye from when I learned this lesson.
 TobyA 16 Apr 2014
In reply to Alex@home: Is this a talon?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/toby-northern_light/2289466420/ If so, then like that!
 birdie num num 16 Apr 2014
In reply to Alex@home:

Thread it through, double back with a half twist followed by a reverse overhand Bolivian hitch then tuck the excess though the resulting bight and finish with a double underhand.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...