Hornli Huts Closed in 2014

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ian.Hogg 14 Apr 2014
I have just read the Huts are closed to July 2015. If you wanted to climb the Hornli ridge in summer 2014 could you camp near the closed huts, or is this banned becauase of construction work? Can you access the route above the huts? Where and what would be the recommendation for an overnighter before setting off? Are guides still taking clients up? Thanks.
 The Bushman 19 Apr 2014
In reply to ianghogg:

We bivvied right by the hut plenty of flat spots. Viewed and amazing lightning storm that night!
 timmyhobby 19 Apr 2014
In reply to ianghogg:

There is a camping spot about 50/100m from the hut.
 Andy Cloquet 20 Apr 2014
In reply to ianghogg:

Now, the Abruxxi is re-opened, the Italian Ridge is going to be extremely crowded and the bivby hut will be over-flowing. My understanding from a Guide from Scion is that there won't be any parties on The Hornli this year - if this means that Guides won't be dominating this route, Summer '14 could be the best year for self-contained parties to tackle the route without running the gautlet and ire of the Mass Hoardes of The Dragged!
 rossn 21 Apr 2014
In reply to Andy Cloquet:

Good point. This summer might be a great opportunity while next summer is obviously the opposite, what with the anniversary etc.

RN
 Andy Cloquet 21 Apr 2014
In reply to rossn:

The area around the Hornli will be closed off for storing materials and providing landing space for helo loads. The best camping will be above The Schwarzee where folk have built stone walls to provide elements of shelter. I think the spot is some 30 minutes below Hornli.
I would recommend contacting the Guides' Bureau as they wil have detailed info. on what's happening; especially as some of the planned work may be to replace some of the fixed ropes which could in effect close the route - a concept not familiar to us here but may well be enforced locally.
 James Thacker 21 Apr 2014

Details here http://www.zermatt.ch/en/page.cfm/news_events/news/hornlihutte-lang-geschlo... and also at www.hörnlihütte2015.ch (apologies UKC won't allow a clickable link)

Last year due to limited capacity at the Hornli Hut many people were starting from the Hotel Schwarzee adding a couple of hours to an ascent.
 jon 21 Apr 2014
In reply to James Thacker:

> www.hörnlihütte2015.ch

Hmmm, looks like it'll blend in beautifully.
 rossn 22 Apr 2014

Thanks for that info. RN
aultguish 22 Apr 2014
With regards to the ropes Andy, where have you heard this?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...