Best options for skiing this weekend?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Calski 10 Apr 2014
In the desperate hope that weather at the weekend is better than currently forecast, I would appreciate thoughts on where the best Scottish touring conditions are at the moment.

Lochaber seems to have plenty of options but also looks to be getting the worst of the weather. I've had a look at the usual websites, but there is nothing quite as good as info from those who have been out this week!

Thanks in advance

Calski
 Cuthbert 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Calski:

Good question. You might have seen my posts on winter highland.

I was in Aviemore yesterday and there is a lot more snow on the Braeriach side of the Lairig Ghru and in those norther corries.

Glen Coe ski centre replied to me that there is enough snow for the Stob Ghabhar-Meall a' Bhuiridh traverse also although I reckon a walk at the start.

I think west is best. Check out the ski centres on Facebook.
Calski 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Saor Alba:
That's helpful, many thanks! Only need the weather to calm down now...
 nw 11 Apr 2014
In reply to Calski:

Had a good day at Glencoe yesterday. Lower runs gone but nice cover from the top of the Plateau Poma upwards. Sugary spring snow was firm at first in places but softened up a lot. Some fresh snow fell to top it up which was nice. Keep your eyes open for rocks and cracks appearing. Brilliant for Scotland in April I would say. Apparently they are going to keep going till May holiday.
 Andes 11 Apr 2014
In reply to Calski:
We did Braeriach, Angels Peak and Cairn Toul on Tuesday, was excellent. Had to carry all the way to the Lairig Ghru and also for 1km over the wee peak (Sron na Lairige)north of Braeriach, but up on the plateau there was plenty of cover with just one or two short 100m carries. The steep ski down to Corrour was good as well. Much more snow than on Caringorm.

For a shorter ski with a good descent skin in up Lurchers/Lochain to Ben Macdui then down the March Burn... it's got good wide cover right down to the Lairig Ghru track right now, must be a 500-600m descent. Then a short walk to the pass itself, about 2km of straight running on the north side of the pass then a 5km hike home through the Chalamain gap.
Post edited at 12:37
 Mike-W-99 11 Apr 2014
In reply to Andes:

Sounds good if it can last another week.

Some pics from Sais - http://saisncairngorms.blogspot.no/2014/04/light-snowfall.html
 Andes 11 Apr 2014
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:

I've posted some pics of the cover in British Backcountry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/502879386398375/

Reviewing my photos the Allt a Choire Mhoir descent looks better than the March Burn.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...