Plas Y Brenin Hillwalking Skills courses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi.

I am thinking of doing a Hillwalking Skills course at PyB this spring.

Has anyone done this course or anything similar at The Brenin?

What are peoples opinions and views on the Hillwalking Skills course and other similar courses there?

Any feedback would be good and helpful.

redsonja 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Mountain Spirit:

their courses are first class and worth every penny
In reply to redsonja:

Thanks.

Glad to hear that.

jezb1 10 Apr 2014

You'll get a good course at PyB but reckon you'd be better off on a 1:1 type thing.
In reply to jezb1:

I wouldn't mind a 1:1 course....

I am not sure if it is needed with hillwalking.....

At the CMC they said do the hillwalking skills course or the ML(S) Course.

jezb1 10 Apr 2014

The ML course is for experienced hill walkers wanting to lead others in the hills so ignore that one.

You've previously said you've slowed club members down on a group walk, that's why I suggested one to one, which as you know PyB will be able to facilitate.
 Ramblin dave 10 Apr 2014

I'm sure it's a very good course, but are you sure you wouldn't be better off just getting out into the countryside fairly regularly and going for walks, and building up your fitness and experience that way? It's cheaper and requires a lot less organisation!

marsbar 10 Apr 2014
In reply to jezb1:

I think sometimes you learn more as a group. People bring different approaches and experience. They ask questions you hadnt thought of.
In reply to jezb1:

I told the CMC that the ML needed loads of experience.

Yes I did - two men, one in their late 50s and I am not sure how old the other one was.

I will ask them at PyB if I need 1:1 for hillwalking - maybe they can just put another instructor for me.

Cool beanz

Sav
In reply to Ramblin dave:

I do not care so much about the money.

I like PyB anyway!

jezb1 10 Apr 2014
In reply to marsbar:

> I think sometimes you learn more as a group. People bring different approaches and experience. They ask questions you hadnt thought of.

You're not wrong, but I'm not sure I agree that a group situation would be better in this instance.
In reply to jezb1:

I have e-mailed PyB and just need for them to get back to me.

Nath 11 Apr 2014

Savvas

The sort of things you want to try to cover, in no particular order...

Basic navigation - map and compass.
Basic navigation - GPS (if you have one).
Suitable Equipment/Clothing choice.
Moving over different types of terrain.
Route Selection (distance, terrain, bail out options if weather turns etc.).

For what it is worth I have done two courses with PYB and as other people have said - worth every penny.

Nath B
 pass and peak 11 Apr 2014

I'm assuming this is the course your talking about! http://www.mountain-training.org/walking/skills-and-awards/hill-and-mountai... If you decide not to go with the Brenin or can't make their dates there's plenty of other providers on the course list. Enjoy anyway who ever you go with, I'm sure its a worthwhile course for anyone who regularly visits the mountains
BEZZER 11 Apr 2014

I have heard nothing but excellent reviews from PYB courses. You won't go wrong with them or any of the other national mountain centres. (e.g. Glenmore Lodge) I plan to do my summer ml training course at PYB. If you are serious about improving your skills/knowledge then don't hesitate and get a course booked. Good luck and enjoy.
 Fredt 11 Apr 2014

Hi Savvas

Can I ask, what sort of walking do you do at present?
Where do you walk, what sort of terrain?
 imkevinmc 11 Apr 2014
In reply to BEZZER:

PYB and Glenmore are great for anyone starting out as it gives you the opportunity to mingle people at the same level as yourself, share the experience.

And if you've not got the kit, they'll always lend you what you need for the course you're on.

And the evening lectures at Glenmore (if they still do them) add to the experience.

Certainly the ideal destinations for Savvas
In reply to Fredt:

I've hillwalked before in Patterdale.

I have done some walking in The Peaks and in Dartmoor with family.

I used to walk with a group in Croydon near Lloyds Park.

In reply to Nath:

Cool as beanz

I agree with you 100%.

Looking forward to Birchen and grit.

In reply to pass and peak:

Similar.

It is called Hillwalking Skills and it under Hillwalking and Navigation on the PyB website.

I know of the new MT courses.

In reply to BEZZER:

I've been to both PyB and Glenmore Lodge.

IMO they both excellent centres and facilities.

Thanx

In reply to imkevinmc:

Agreed

Ramblin dave 11 Apr 2014
Am I right in thinking that the reason you want to do this course is because you want to be able to keep up when you go out with a group, and because you don't want to waste too much time on longer walk-ins?

Although I'm sure the PyB courses are great for learning navigation, preparation and planning, I'm not sure they'll be much help for just covering ground faster - they definitely won't be a magic bullet that'll make you twice as fast. It sounds like you basically just need fitness and experience, not a weekend of someone showing you what a ring contour looks like that.
Post edited at 13:11

Hi savvas, I have sent you an email.
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Received it.

In reply to Ramblin dave:

Partly, yes.

I would like top know how to navigate, prepare and plan.

I am not sure if my HIIT cardio at the gym will help with fitness side of it.

The course actually lasts four days.

Bonni82 11 Apr 2014

Did you end up going climbing with the guy that offered you his time for a days fun in the end MS?
In reply to Bonni82:

Who r u talkin about?

I have got quite a few offers.

Bonni82 11 Apr 2014

The guy whos 2 daughters have dyspraxia.
In reply to Bonni82:
Yes we are goin climbing.

Doin it after Easter.

No dates set though.

Post edited at 21:12
BEZZER 28 Apr 2014

Just to add to my original reply. I've put my money where my mouth is and booked onto my Summer ML training course at Plas Y Brenin. Glenmore Lodge was also considered but Snowdonia is nearer to me so it was the distance that swung it in the end. From what I've heard though, they are both superb centres and well worth the money.

Best wishes,

Simon
In reply to BEZZER:

Agreed 100%.

Cool as beanz.

Nath 29 Apr 2014

Sav

I'm not sure what your basic navigation skills are like but you don't need the mountains or a week end away to practice. If you have a compass and ideally a map you can practice some basic navigation.

Nath

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...