Cairngorms or Fort William?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BnB 09 Apr 2014
I'm currently dodging showers on Skye but thought I might seek out the dregs of 2014's winter climbing, if any is to be had, early next week.

Weather flow is expected to be mild and (very) westerly. Logbook reports are conspicuous by their absence and I'm a complete virgin where either venue is concerned (though not to NW winter). So I'm looking for a general recommendation as to which venue is more likely to bear fruit. Looking to climb at about III give or take a grade. Individual route recommendations also welcome but it's really about the choice of venue. Thanks.
 Nathan Adam 09 Apr 2014
In reply to BnB:

Won't really go wrong with the Ben next week I think mate. Maybe a bit of walking through the rain to get up high but with waterproofs as expensive as your's you'll be fine!
OP BnB 09 Apr 2014
In reply to Nath93:

The waterproofs are fine, it's the navigation I'm more worried about!!
 Nathan Adam 09 Apr 2014
In reply to BnB:

Do one of the big ridges so you have a defined finishing point, or use the GPS. I'm heading out tomorrow (I think) so will give you a shout about what its like up there.

OP BnB 09 Apr 2014
In reply to Nath93:

Cheers Nath. Anyone out and about in the Caringorms as well?
 Joak 09 Apr 2014
In reply to BnB:

> The waterproofs are fine, it's the navigation I'm more worried about!!

There's a "Ben Nevis Volunteer Guide Required" thread over on Hilltalk just now. Jump on the Bandwagon, you might get lucky!
OP BnB 09 Apr 2014
In reply to Joak:

Can't find the thread
 Joak 09 Apr 2014
In reply to BnB:

HaHa, it's three clicks north of this one
 Webster 09 Apr 2014
In reply to BnB:

There is still plenty of snow ice to be found on the ben, though it is very soft making the climbing easier but the pro even worse than normal! Climbed central gully right hand up in corrie na ciste yestetday, still good at grade 4, and central gully next to itlookd even fatter. Cornices are a bit big still but it is possible to ab down the route on good tat if you dont fancy the cornice. Aparently glovers chimney is still complete at grade 3 and im sure plenty of other snow ice gullies of the same grade are in similar condition.
 Nathan Adam 10 Apr 2014
In reply to BnB:

Went up for a look at Ledge Route today but scraping crampons along turfy rubble between snowy sections isn't my idea of fun (especially when its grey and wet) so decided to bail after the first traverse section out of no.5.

I think we are hanging onto the dregs of winter now, but still definitely stuff to be done high up if you are willing to search it out.
OP BnB 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Nath93:

Cheers Nath. Very sugary dregs in the northern corries of Glen Shiel today. But surprising amounts in Coire Bhasteir still. Heading that way tomorrow. Sounds like you have to go very on the Ben for some neve. 10 degrees on Skye at first light today.
 drsdave 12 Apr 2014
In reply to BnB:

Check out Abacus Mountaineering website blog report for the Ben, they get out most days and give good conditions update. The Ben as far as I understand it is still holding climbable routes of varying grades. Theres still plenty of snow in the cories of the carngorms, more importantly a really good cold spell is required for both but I suspect the Ben will hold out for you.If a cold snap dictates then my bet Invernookie will still be in.
All the best
OP BnB 12 Apr 2014
In reply to drsdave:

Thanks for the tips.
 drsdave 14 Apr 2014
In reply to BnB:

yhm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...