Another group of walkers lost... without a map

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PPP 02 Apr 2014
http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2014/04/02/yorkshire-three-peaks-trio-call...

How many times will it happen? When will people realize that the map is not an optional thing?
 The Lemming 02 Apr 2014
In reply to PPP:

Maybe we could have some sort of mandatory qualification of compitence before people can access open spaces?
OP PPP 02 Apr 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I just feel sorry for MRT who have to deal with such situations (my attitude changed a lot after I have read the book 'Cairngorm John').

An idea flashed to my head. I would appreciate an idea that you have to pass a test (pay a small donation to MRT for the "Hillwalker membership" as well). If you pass the test, which includes navigation, map reading and gear/clothing required for different weather, MRT rescue is free. Otherwise, you have to pay the fee.
 Bruce Hooker 02 Apr 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Going shopping should require a "Walkers Permit" I reckon, this sort of thing is madness gone mad.
 Bruce Hooker 02 Apr 2014
In reply to PPP:

Or better still do away with rescue services altogether, it would instil a bit more care in the way people approach the hills.
 The Lemming 02 Apr 2014
In reply to PPP:

>
> An idea flashed to my head. I would appreciate an idea that you have to pass a test (pay a small donation to MRT for the "Hillwalker membership" as well). If you pass the test, which includes navigation, map reading and gear/clothing required for different weather, MRT rescue is free. Otherwise, you have to pay the fee.

With modern tech, we could have Barcode readers at access-points like 5-bar gates, styles and holes-in-the-wall to confirm that qualifications are current and up-to-date.

People could also have GPS recievers imbedded into their genitals too, to aid a quick and efficient recovery by the Mountain Rescue.

Or we could let people make their own choices in life and get on with our own?

As far as I understand it, Mountain Rescue groups are voluntary, and choose to go on the fells to help people without making judgements on their plight, or until it comes to printing the Annual Reports on shouts.

OP PPP 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

But you can't make sure you won't need a rescue one day. Injuries can occur, even with proper gear and skills.
 Clarence 02 Apr 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

> People could also have GPS recievers imbedded into their genitals too, to aid a quick and efficient recovery by the Mountain Rescue.

But I was only trying to get a clear signal your honour!
In reply to PPP:

How on earth can you need the mountain rescue while walking along a 'track through a field'??

jcm
altirando 02 Apr 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Well, yes, they were hardly in danger on a field path that could hardly be out of sight or sound of a road. They should have been told to sit there and wait until daylight.
 Marek 03 Apr 2014
In reply to PPP:

Perhaps MRT should have the default option of being a paid service (like a taxi company) with the option (purely at their discretion, non-negotiable) to waive the fee if they deem it to have been a real emergency. Basically, when you call them you get told: "Be prepared to pay for time and expense. Are you still sure you need us?" Any fees paid go into the MRT pot (not to individuals). Fees based on nomber of rescuers (one per rescuee) x time out + expenses.
 GrahamD 03 Apr 2014
In reply to PPP:

> When will people realize that the map is not an optional thing?

Of course a map is optional.
 The New NickB 03 Apr 2014
In reply to PPP:

> How many times will it happen? When will people realize that the map is not an optional thing?

I have a confession, I ran the three peaks on Saturday. I didn't have a map, I'm not sure if anyone in our little group had a map. Was I an accident waiting to happen?
 The Lemming 03 Apr 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

> Was I an accident waiting to happen?

You are a discrace to the whole UKC community. Now go hang your head in shame and reflect on your ability to use individual judgement on your actions and decisions in life.

Next time find a ROSPA approved H&S Risk Assessment and hire an approved Guide.

You are a risk to society. Don't do it again, you naughty person.
In reply to The Lemming:

Comment 4: are you the farmer? We've come on holiday by mistake.

Genius

Martin
In reply to The Lemming:

> People could also have GPS recievers imbedded into their genitals too, to aid a quick and efficient recovery by the Mountain Rescue.

That explains a lot. My wife encountered a naked man (he was wearing boots) whilst out walking the Peak last week. Clearly he was just "navigating".
 The Lemming 03 Apr 2014
In reply to Turdus torquatus:

Dis she say if he was pointing North or South with his GPS receiver?
 d_b 03 Apr 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Navigational equipment embedded in the genitals could work for blokes certainly, although it could be a bit uncomfortable if the direction of travel is behind them. Not to mention that night work would require them to dip their willies in luminous paint.

How do you see the ladies version working?
 The Lemming 03 Apr 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

> How do you see the ladies version working?

I will do a bit of Google research and report back in two minutes. Should only take me that long to clean up the keyboard.

butteredfrog 03 Apr 2014
In reply to PPP:

I can't belive the mentality of these people, on a track, on farmland, uninjured. Would you not be mortified? (I can guess their location, nr Old Ings by the sound of it).

CRO should have told them to try harder and hung up IMO.

tlm 03 Apr 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

> How on earth can you need the mountain rescue while walking along a 'track through a field'??

> jcm

Oh I don't know...

I once was called out to rescue Duncan from a track in a field. He had wandered off in his shorts and sandals along a gorse lined track, wandered from the track and couldn't see it among the gorse. He hopped from boulder to boulder for a while, but in the end had to phone me to walk out along the track so that he could spot it!
 FesteringSore 03 Apr 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Maybe we could have some sort of mandatory qualification of intelligence before people can access open spaces?

Sorted that for you ;0)

The Lemming 03 Apr 2014
In reply to FesteringSore:

Good job there are no qualifications for english languige.

I'd be screwed
In reply to PPP:

Any fool can make a mistake once, and as people doing a charity event it could assumed that they believed the way would be obvious as it is well known and used.

Charging for use would prevent people from calling and lead to more severe incidents. Rather someone called because they were lost than call two hours later with a broken leg or hypothermia because they tried to rescue themselves to avoid costs.

Yes they got lost in a field, I can also imagine they will be quite embarrassed and not make the same mistake again.
Moley 03 Apr 2014
In reply to PPP:

I love stories like this, they make me feel so sensible by comparison - whatever my wife says.

But seriously, it will happen more and more as the numpty value of those venturing on "outdoor adventures" increases. I don't believe there is an answer, it's the world we live in as more people expect to be cared for from cradle to grave without any appreciation of personal responsibilities or danger.
In reply to Moley:

Hear, hear.
 Jim Walton 03 Apr 2014
In reply to PPP:

Have we, as a generation, lost the skill of being self-reliant and if so, how did we lose it?

I don't believe those who say its all down to the Government. Governments, whatever colour, can't please everyone so they tend to please themselves. They have had very limited training and those that have had the training (the Civil Servants - men in Grey Suits) have never lived in the world of profit and loss.

altirando 03 Apr 2014
In reply to Moley:

Perhaps too much concentration on these 'challenges'. Most people doing the 3 peaks in former years will have walked the area frequently. Don't think I had a map when I went round one December. And I do remember trotting round the 26 mile Mallerstang circuit with completely the wrong map. I think it is called reading the landscape.
 Neil Williams 03 Apr 2014
In reply to PPP:

If you're doing the 3 Peaks it isn't beyond the wit of man to look for the railway line and follow it to the station. You can then get the train to where you meant to be. Sorted.

Neil
 Carolyn 03 Apr 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

That's what we told a friend who was hesitant to do it with us years ago. We didn't tell him there was a rail strike that day until he tried to drop out in the middle, by which point it was easiest to continue
Moley 03 Apr 2014
In reply to Jim Walton:
Yes, I think many/most have lost the skill of self reliance. It starts in childhood (here comes another "it was never like this in the old days" rant!!!) when kids don't have the freedom to roam as parents are far more protective now and continues through school where activities are heavily supervised - or banned.
Pretty much continues through life, and then a bunch of 20 somethings sit in a pub, read a magazine and decide to have a go at something (maybe for charity). Danger from "nature" probably doesn't occur to them as they all have mobile phones and there is always someone who will pick up the pieces.

Dunno, I find it quite depressing and glad I'm older and grew up when I did. I've also met many wonderful and skillful younger people, so all is not lost.
Post edited at 18:18
ceri 03 Apr 2014
In reply to PPP:

took my mum to the National stone Centre in WIrksworth on Tuesday and she was complaining about the fact that all the nice scrambly bits of rock are fenced off so kids cant play on them
I think in cases like this the people should be named and shamed, to discourage people from being so stupid in future.
Lusk 03 Apr 2014
In reply to PPP:

"The lost walkers were eventually found by a farmer who took them to their car at Ribblehead."

Which way were they going, how far did they get?!?!

I've also done the 3Ps about 10 times without a map, definitely need locking up.
 Blizzard 03 Apr 2014
In reply to PPP:

Don't stories like this simply highlight that a lot of people are 'thick' and/or 'stupid' ?
 Fat Bumbly2 03 Apr 2014
At least they were on The Three Peaks, not that driving challenge.

FWIW, I know of one farmer benighted,lost on his farm (a hill farm).
 Bruce Hooker 03 Apr 2014
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

I've been benighted on the way back from the pub... couldn't crawl out of the ditch.
 Skol 03 Apr 2014
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

> I've been benighted on the way back from the pub... couldn't crawl out of the ditch.

The dodgy left hand one by the red squirrel campsite? Death trap
 Rob Naylor 04 Apr 2014
In reply to tlm:

I'm sure he'd have "Bourne" it with his usual good humour.
Lusk 04 Apr 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

> Don't stories like this simply highlight that a lot of people are 'thick' and/or 'stupid' ?

Yes! about90% apparently.
They should stick to their local park.
 d_b 04 Apr 2014
In reply to Lusk:

You say that, but I used to work with a guy who broke his leg in several places after a slip in yorkshire sculpture park.
 Rob Naylor 09 Apr 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

And I broke 2 ribs after slipping on safe ground and catching them on the edge of a hard-cover guide book I had in my fleece pocket.

I broke another 2 slipping out of a shower in a bathtub in a hotel and landing with my chest across the rim of the toilet bowl.

....Actually, maybe I should just stay at home in an armchair.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...