PRODUCT NEWS: NEW: Marmot Precip Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 02 Apr 2014
Marmot Womens Precip Jacket, 3 kbThe Precip jacket has been a well respected and well known name on the waterproof jacket scene for over a decade. For Spring 2014 the Precip receives some incredible updates and is set to rocket back to the top of the pile of general purpose hill-walking jackets.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=6222
 Doug 02 Apr 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

Apart from the change in fabric, it doesn't sound very different - mine (now getting old & probably needing replacing soon) already has pit zips etc. Will there be a proper review sometime ?
 Marmot UK 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Doug:

Hi Doug,

We have made some subtle changes like the inclusion of a wire-reinforced hood for extra weather protection, a roll-away hood (folds into the collar) giving a neater a more convenient shape and a new storm-flap configuration for improved weather resistance.

Let us know how you get on with the new one! Maybe you could review it for us?

Best regards,

The Marmot UK team
 Chris Sansum 02 Apr 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

Hopefully the material will be noticeably more waterproof than the old one. My old one was like wearing a sponge!
 FreshSlate 02 Apr 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:
Mine wets out, am going to try a bit of nikwax on it soon.

Main thing about the jacket is that it's relatively light and packable (at the time and for the price point). It also has a nice cut I thought. Did you manage to shave some weight off it, or are we going more towards more features? I imagine the new fabric is very good though.

Edit: Just seen that it looks about half an ounce lighter. So right direction and decent considering the added stuff. Can you confirm?

Whats different about the storm flap btw?
Post edited at 14:47
 Marmot UK 03 Apr 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Hi,

Wetting out is an issue with any waterproof jacket out there. It is caused by the DWR layer wearing off the face fabric. Re-proofing the jacket is the way to replenish this DWR treatment and Nikwax or Grangers will both do the job.

The weight is slightly less, yes, however if you are really looking to shave grams off your jacket then check out some of our other styles as we have got some super lightweight waterproofs.

The storm flap used to be configured with both 'flaps' on the outside of the jacket, we have now got one outside and one inside.

Thanks,

Marmot UK
 Marmot UK 03 Apr 2014
In reply to Chris Sansum:

Hi Chris,

We are sorry to hear about your jacket. It sounds like your jacket has been wetting out. Feel free to get in touch with our UK warranty department at the UK Office on 01539 563616 and we will see if we can help.

Best regards,

The Marmot UK team
 FreshSlate 03 Apr 2014
In reply to Marmot UK:

Hey Marmot, thanks for the response.

Will look into grangers too, cheers.

I've had a scout on yor website now, it does seem like the Super Mica would be the jacket to buy for the weight obsessed.
 PPP 04 Apr 2014
Marmot Precip is a great jacket if you are on budget and there is no need for very durable jacket. It is very packable, light and has a nice cut (to my body, at least). However, the cuffs were worn out quite quickly after daily use (2-3 months, at most), does not breathe well and I would never take it to Scottish mountains unless it's "guaranteed dry" weather in the Summer.

Hopefully the breathability is increased with this jacket and the material is more hard wearing.

In reply to Marmot UK:

It started to wet out faster than any other waterproof garment I had.
 Marmot UK 07 Apr 2014
In reply to PPP:

Glad that you liked the jacket in general PPP ... if you have any problems with a Marmot product you can get in touch with the Marmot UK warranty team on 01539 563616.

The breathability has massively increased with the new fabric, due to the fact that it is dynamically air permeable. Also, we believe that the new fabric is more durable too.

Thanks,

Marmot UK
 Dr.S at work 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Marmot UK:

what does "dynamically air permeable" mean as opposed to "air permeable"?
 browndog33 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Marmot UK:

Can you name stockist?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...