Glenshiel, Applecross, Skye and Torridon from afar....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peebles boy 23 Mar 2014

Working up in Applecross for a couple of weeks, distant views of Skye and Torridon with a very arbitrary winter conditions report as follows!!

Skye - new stuff fell certainly on Friday and Saturday (snowline Sat morning was well below 300m, with fresh snow covering Dun Cann on Raasay, but this unfortunately dissipated through the day.) Skye looks to have had a fair covering again, and there's still good cover in many of the north/east facing coires by the looks of it.

Torridon - again, fresh snow over last couple days, and even by late afternoon this was still hanging in on the south facing slopes of the bigger hills.

Applecross - road was open up until Thursday, but was shut with snow yesterday (before new snow there was virtually none to be seen over the top of the pass - would imagine it's fine again now as today has been pretty dry. Though a brief snow flurry as we coasteered in the swell was entertaining, if unexpected...!). Didn't get a look into Beinn Bhan coires but the thaw has certainly stripped everything "open" to the elements up to and over the 600m mark.

Drove up through Glen Shiel on the Tuesday last week, some impressive full depth avalanches on the north facing slopes of the South Glenshiel Ridge. Still lots of snow in the north/east coires, but most of the ridges looked to be stripped, very little evidence of any snow on the south side of the Five Sisters, and lower west arm of the Saddle was bare.

Hoping to get up to Torridon next weekend when work is done, any conditions info before then appreciated and will try to post up anything I find.

Dry, sunny, settled, colder weather for the next few days....sea level expedition with work for me unfortunately!!!

Cheers,
Gordon
 Mike Lates 24 Mar 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

Hi Gordon, the only thing I would add is the double-edged observation that the neve is rock hard. Absolutely magic for climbing & walking snow faces/gullies/crests but a serious environment where a slip could see you going a long way. 10 degrees apparrently resulted in quite a bit of give in neve that sees the sun but not in the shade. Stay safe
OP peebles boy 24 Mar 2014
In reply to Mike Lates:

Yep, frost at sea level today so can only imagine the snow slopes out the sun are pretty solid! Blue skies and very little wind at moment, top of Bealach na BA looking white still.
 BnB 24 Mar 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

Damn. Two weeks until my next visit and it looks like I've got it wrong again!!
 JamesRoddie 24 Mar 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

Really quite a lot of snow in Glenshiel today - knee to waist deep drifts. The ridges are now really snowy as well again. Tons of spindrift and snow being transported by the wind.
 Ian RG 24 Mar 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

A lot of new snow fell in Glen Shiel at end of last week. This morning walked up Coire Uaine (from Shiel Bridge) onto Sgurr a Gharg Gharaidh at about 2,000ft. Deep, largely soft smow with some crusting on top. No good neve and very little ice. Bitter wind and loads of spindrift. Makes walking hard work.
In reply to JamesRoddie:

What did you get done James?
 JamesRoddie 24 Mar 2014
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Turned back by the wind on the Forcan Ridge. It took me off my feet a few times so thought better of it, frustrating really as it was a sunny beautiful day otherwise!
In reply to JamesRoddie:

I guess that was wise. It's quite buried just now, is it? (plotting my midweek escape...)
 JamesRoddie 24 Mar 2014

Quite a lot of snow on it but not buried, and a lot of the snow was being blown off in the wind.
In reply to JamesRoddie:

Cheers
 Joak 24 Mar 2014

> I guess that was wise. It's quite buried just now, is it? (plotting my midweek escape...)

Following this with interest, (plotting my weekend escape having been rostered on last weekend!....
In reply to Joak:

I'll be out somewhere Wed and possibly Thurs so drop me a line Fri if you like
 doz 25 Mar 2014
Hi dan! Take it you didn't get out monday?
You partnered for thursday?? Had enough of work already!
Patrick
Post edited at 07:05
In reply to doz:

Alright Patrick. No, hit with double whammy of car/childcare issues Monday. Out tomorrow with Lorraine in Torridon. Might also manage thurs but not yet 100% on that. Can I get back to you later?
In reply to peebles boy:

Ceannacroc hills on skis, cycled in through Coire Dho, yesterday were either nevee or buried, incredible spindrift and double cornices on narrow ridges....beware! Fantastic but very very challenging conditions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...