DMM Apex ice axes - any good?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Bought a pair of DMM Apex axes in preparation for this season but because of the really poor conditions I've not done a single ice climb this year so they've not yet tasted ice. For those folks who have used them, what do you think of them and how do they compare to other axes you've tried.
 TobyA 23 Mar 2014
In reply to Cuillin Calling:

They were reviewed last year here http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=5200 I've not used the Apex but have used the Switches all this winter http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=6189
aaren 25 Mar 2014
I have a pair of Apex and really like them.

I've previously owned Flys (old style) and I've tried Quarks.

I far prefer the apex to the fly, over any terrain. On easy ground, the curve of the apex lets you climb quickly without plunging your hands into the ground. On harder ground there isn't really any contest. On both ice and mixed the apex is great. You can dig big holes with the fly adze I suppose.

The quark is noticeably lighter, but I have no regrets about the apex. I feel very confident with them. The reviews say good all round mountain axe and I definitely agree with this.

Another thumbs up from me!
 StephenS 25 Mar 2014

I love my apex's.

The little plastic trigger handle at the bottom can get in the way sometimes but would rather have it than not.

Definitely recommend
 afshapes 25 Mar 2014

Used mine for the first time last weekend, plunging was OK, daggeringwas brilliant, the swing is awesome and on mixed ground my axes didn't pop once, i love them and now they have some battle scars!

Thanks for all the replies guys. Thats good to hear you're convinced by them. I really liked the feel of them in the shop and their swing. Didn't realise til later on that they are about 30g heavier than advertised and slightly heavier than my old pair, having thought they would be lighter. Has the weight been an issue for you/tiring with repeated swinging? Given the radical curve of the shaft, how have you got on with ice placements and withdrawing the picks?
 afshapes 26 Mar 2014

I didn't notice anything with the weight, just loving every swing being bomber, on steeper snow ice I moved my hand up to the top rest and that helped remove the pick from some solid neve, brilliant axes in my opinion
 spearing05 26 Mar 2014

Like you, I bought them at the start of the winter and had to wait till last weekend to use them. I'm comparing them with a second hand pair of 15 year old BD tools so perhaps slightly unfair but they were amazing. In 800m of vertical ascent I mashed my knuckles once when I punched a rock buried in soft snow. Other than that the clearance on the handle was superb, leashless was a revelation (just be aware if using springer leashes not to clip the rope over your leashes).

A couple of times they needed persuading to come out but that was probably more due to my state of mind convincing me each placement needed to be at least 2/3 of the pick they certainly weren't as hard to clean as my old ones.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...