Poor man's Jetboil?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 steveriley 06 Mar 2014
Does anyone have any cunning ideas for a clever fabric you could wrap something like an Alpkit MytiMug mug, so you can handle it straight off the stove? Good insulator but able to handle being lapped by the occasional naked flame?
 Reach>Talent 06 Mar 2014
In reply to SteveRi:

You'll have fun getting something fireproof. Jetboils are neoprene I think which will burn if you get it too hot. I'd use neoprene and be a little careful.
 galpinos 06 Mar 2014
In reply to SteveRi:

A glove. Cunningly, it's on your hand so it won't get burnt and will protect your hand from the heat! Ingenious....
 franksnb 06 Mar 2014
In reply to SteveRi:

a cheap oven glove could be re-purposed with some scissors, needle and thread.

or those silicone (posh) oven gloves might be better they are less bulky. you might have to glue those rather than sew.

or spray foam insulation? I don't know what the ignition temperature of that stuff is. it's polyurethane which according to wikipedia is a thermosetting (normally) plastic with a reasonably high melting point.

http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/decorating-supplies/fillers-putty/fillers/-spe...

you could make a mould of the cup rather than spraying it straight on!
 PPP 06 Mar 2014
In reply to SteveRi:

It's probably not that you are looking for, but what about X-mug or X-cup by Sea to Summit? Just fold it and leave it in the bottom of the MytiMug (make sure it fits before you buy!). It's not as cheap as other alternatives, but that will do its job better.

Although I use 585ml aluminium cup for boiling water, I always have Swedish Fold-A-Cup for drinking or eating. Easier to clean, won't burn your hands and it's tastier to drink rather than from aluminium!
 Jesus 06 Mar 2014
In reply to SteveRi:

If you are after a mug you can pick up and drink from straight from the stove, try using an Army issue metal mug. The handles never get hot and it doesn't burn your lips either. If you Google BCB crusader you'll see the ones i'm on about.
 Sharp 06 Mar 2014
In reply to SteveRi:

Whether that's possible will depend more on your stove as opposed to what you insulate your mug with. The jet boil's flame is very narrow and is spread by the fins on the bottom of the "mug" so doesn't lap the sides. A normal stove head will spread the flame wider which will lick the side of your pot so I guess this would work a lot better if you had a smaller stove that didn't spread the flame very wide.

If you can find a stove like that then I'd be tempted to just use neoprene like the jetboil, but leave a half inch gap at the bottom and wrap the bottom half of the mug in heat proof tape. (neoprene will be good to 120C so provided it's not in direct contact should be fine)
 Mr Trebus 06 Mar 2014
In reply to SteveRi:

You can buy nomex wrist and leg protectors that are basically just fireproof tubigrips.
I have no idea if they would work though.

al
 crayefish 06 Mar 2014
In reply to Mr Trebus:

> You can buy nomex wrist and leg protectors that are basically just fireproof tubigrips.

> I have no idea if they would work though.

> al

Was going to suggest Nomex as well!
 George Fisher 06 Mar 2014
In reply to SteveRi:

I had some long fibreglass gloves for handling hot bits of racecar during pitstops. You can get similar stuff for wrapping exhaust pipes with. Or glue fiberglass cord wrapped around the mug with high temp silicon.

This stuff maybe

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/heat-shielding-protection/design-e...

I'd have thought the bit of a jetboil that makes it work so well is the fins on the mug and the fact the burner attaches to the mug. I've got a gig mug and pocket rocket combo but the JB is much neater to use.
OP steveriley 06 Mar 2014
Ta, some stuff to chew on. Will also check if I have any of these 'gloves' mentioned above

martinph78 06 Mar 2014
In reply to SteveRi:

Have you seen this? You can't use your alpkit mug but is an alternative option.

http://gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/halulite_minimalist
In reply to franksnb:
> it's polyurethane which according to wikipedia is a thermosetting

And gives off hydrogen cyanide when it burns...

Don't do this, folks...

The SUL brigade on backpackinglight.com would probably recommend the finger and thumb of a silicone oven mitt for lifting the pot off the heat. It won't insulate the pot, or allow you to hold it in your hand, though...

The JetBoil neoprene sleeve usually survives because the heat exchanger pulls the heat out of the gases flowing up the side of the pot, so they're not hot enough to burn the neoprene. Usually... That's why the HX-type pots are fuel efficient.

If you don't have an HX on the pot, you'd have to use a low power setting, so that the gas flowing up the side wasn't hot enough to burn the insulation.

Some of the SUL types use glass fibre wick (string, essentially) to wrap their mugs, which seems to work fairly well. Oh, and the other commonly-used solution is a silicone wrist band (or two) around the pot; put it below the lip to keep as far from the heat as possible, and maybe stop your lips burning...

What happened to the handles, BTW...?
Post edited at 17:58
 franksnb 14 Mar 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:

good thing you're here. If I was being cheeky I would say most things give off something horrible when you set fire to them!

that exhaust wrap looks cool..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...