price of trousers...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I foolishly followed one of the advert links for a pair of TrangoWorld trousers.

£155 for a pair of softshell troos? Yoiks... And, whilst they're Schoeller Dryskin, they're not the Cordura-faced Dryskin Extreme.

It also appears that TrangoWorld make a large number of different pairs of trousers. Well, maybe they offer to make them, as a lot seem to be the same design, in different fabrics.

I can only guess that they're very stretchy and well cut, allowing you to bend over whilst you pay for them...

I thought £40 (discounted) was a lot to pay for something very similar...
 pneame 21 Mar 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:

It's hard to say how one would reply to this.

Except to say that my Schoeller Dryskin trousers are by a good way the most expensive and best trousers I own.
 Dr.S at work 21 Mar 2014

Do they have a bombay fly?
In reply to pneame:

> Except to say that my Schoeller Dryskin trousers are by a good way the most expensive and best trousers I own.

Schoeller Dryskin Extreme is a pretty good fabric for trousers, but there are many similar fabrics that aren't as 'reassuringly expensive'. Dryskin isn't the most wind-resistant fabric, IME.

I've been rather impressed by fabric and cut of Decathlon's Forclaz 900 Warm, and have been wearing them almost non-stop since I bought them*. It's more wind resistant than Dryskin, with a decent DWR and robust face fabric.

* for the hygiene-conscious: except when I've had them in the wash...
astley007 24 Mar 2014

you tried primark? exceptional!!!
 Siward 25 Mar 2014

"'England's going to pot,' said Thesiger, as Hugh and I lay smoking the interpreter's king-size cigarettes, the first for a fortnight. 'Look at this shirt, I've only had it three years, now it's splitting. Same with tailors; Gull and Croke made me a pair of whipcord trousers to go to the Atlas Mountains. Sixteen guineas - wore a hole in them in a fortnight"

from 'A short walk in the Hindu Kush' Eric Newby.
 ben b 25 Mar 2014

Earlier this year I was looking to replace my 15 year old utterly knackered Mello's schoeller trousers, and ended up in Mountain Designs in Sydney when they had a "30% off all stickered prices" sale.

Then after some trying on I found a pair of Mammut troos - these ones: https://www.mammut.ch/en/productDetail/102007581_v_0001_48/Base-Jump-Advanc...
Which not only had 30% off but they had also been stickered incorrectly at $200 instead of $300, which worked out at about 75 quid. Which was nice and only 50% more than the Decathlon ones!

I think schoeller do some of the best legwear fabrics out there but the range is getting quite complex, and distinctions between different products are increasingly difficult to follow.

b

tjin 25 Mar 2014
In reply to ben b:

If you don't want to fork out the money, get the simond (used to be Quechua) softshell trouwsers at decathlon. If you buy fancier stuff, well you get a fancier price tag.
 ben b 25 Mar 2014
In reply to tjin:

Indeed.

However on an n=2 basis, a (previously expensive but half price sale) Mello's pair lasted 15 years of intermittent hard wear; a (much cheaper) pair of MEC schoeller pants from Canada had assorted seams unravel within a year or two. I have a few bits of Decathlon gear and whilst it is astoundingly cheap, it isn't made for the long run.

Conversely, some 'high end' manufacturers charge like a wounded bull for no obvious benefit. I'm all for good discounts in sales

b
In reply to ben b:
> I have a few bits of Decathlon gear and whilst it is astoundingly cheap, it isn't made for the long run.

Time will tell I guess...

I have a couple of Peter Storm CoolMax t-shirts that I've had since ... dear God, 2001 (paying the princely sum of £12.50 each), and they're still going strong, despite very regular use.

ps. nice find on the Mammuts...

My local TK Maxx currently have some high-end Dainese equestrian trousers; all top-end Schoeller fabrics, and hexagonal-tiled armour at the hips. Currently knocked down to £17, IIRC... I've also bought ACG and Lowe Schoeller trousers there, and Marmot and Sprayway Dryskin-alike trousers at silly prices. Bargains are always great...
Post edited at 12:54
In reply to astley007:

> you tried primark? exceptional!!!

I have, yes... And find that they aren't well cut for climbing or walking.
 wilkesley 26 Mar 2014

Stihl chainsaw trousers are made from the same/similar fabric to Mammut Base Jumps and you can often find bargains on ebay.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...