Recommend a tough waterproof compact camera

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 drsdave 01 Mar 2014
Hi Scotland has done my camera in!
What I need is a tough and waterproof compact camera, no SLR's. Any recommendations appreciated.
Thanks, D
 boriselbrus 02 Mar 2014
In reply to drsdave:

Love my Olympus TG1, great photos, long lasting battery and properly tough. Had it 18 months with no issues. There is an updated TG2 now which is the same but slightly better.
 DannyC 03 Mar 2014
In reply to boriselbrus:

Hi,
I'm after something similar and that TG1 does look really good.
Does it have in-built panoramic settings? Are they any good? And what are the manual options like? Any downsides for you?
Cheers,
D.
 Robert Durran 03 Mar 2014
 Robert Durran 03 Mar 2014
In reply to drsdave:

This should be very useful (Olymp[us, Sony and Panasonic and others compared):

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/2013-waterproof-roundup
 DannyC 03 Mar 2014
In reply to Robert Durran:

Cheers Robert - really useful. Anyone got the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5/FT5? It looks the most suitable for my requirements, I think, so keen for any feedback. I do occasionally print my shots out in large format (A3) so it'd be good to have reasonable image quality, but know that's pushing it with this class of camera.
OP drsdave 03 Mar 2014
In reply to Robert Durran:
yer thanks Ive seen this review and just about every other one. Theyre all much of a muchness I think and not cheap! As one person put it why cant they go back to view finders that way you wouldnt get the glare of the larger screens, I agree. Well Im off to JL this weekend to handle a few and see whats what. Thanks for you input,
d
Post edited at 19:18
 butteredfrog 03 Mar 2014
In reply to drsdave:

Periscope lenses like the Olympus range, are easier to use with one hand, especially with gloves on. I find I end up with my fingers in the frame when using the Panasonic, as you can't always see them in the screen.
 Neil Pratt 03 Mar 2014
In reply to drsdave:

Have the Panasonic FT25 - great wee camera, takes decent photos, been solid as a rock so far. Got it for not much more than £100 or so. Takes reasonably useable video footage as well.
 jonnie3430 03 Mar 2014
In reply to DannyC:

I have an FT3 which replaced my mju 720. The phots are good, the video and sound quality good too. I wasn't expecting the compass, altimeter and gps, but they can all be turned off so battery life is good, but come in handy every now and then too.
 DannyC 04 Mar 2014
In reply to jonnie3430:

Cheers Jonnie. Think I'll go for the FT5.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...