Baby carrier recommendation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ollieollie 16 Feb 2014
Hi all, can any body recommend a good baby carrier for hill walking?

Cheers
Ollie
 Baron Weasel 16 Feb 2014
In reply to ollieollie:

We have a baby bjorn for our 4 month old and it works ok. we should be able to carry him on the back soon which will be a relief from carrying on the front.
 Monk 16 Feb 2014
In reply to ollieollie:
We have two, and both are good for different reasons. We have a Vaude Jolly Comfort 2, which is a 'proper' carrier for babies over 6 months. It's comfortable for both me and the child, and has a very handy waterproof rain canopy, which is good in the wind too. There's a decent luggage space to carry all you need for a day out too.

The other one we have is a Littlelife Ultralight convertible S2. This gets far more use than the other one, both on days out about town and in the hills. The advantage of this one is that it zips up and looks like a normal biggish rucksack, then you unzip it when you want to put the child in. We've found this much more useful when the child starts to walk a bit, as it is more compact to carry about. The disadvantage is that it doesn't protect the child as much in poor conditions.

One tip I would give, is to try them out in the shop with your child. I found that some felt really uncomfortable to carry, and others didn't adjust small enough to secure our 6 month old (she was very small for her age, to be fair).
Post edited at 16:44
 WILLS 16 Feb 2014
In reply to ollieollie:

We had a baby bjorn for the first year. Then moved to the macpac vermoos. Brilliant bit of kit. Took a camping stove out to make bottles up and heat him up some food. It came in handy for a coffee as well.
 Skol 16 Feb 2014
In reply to WILLS:

I will second the Macpac Vamoose. I think others did better in polls, but I found this mainly excellent. As with all macpac sacks, it was a good carry. Very comfy in excess of 50lb. The kids were always happy in it. On the downside, it was diddly to fit the rain cover over the sombrero( a wire umbrella to keep the cover of the kid). I carried mine in snow storms and the child was warm when untethered. The legs get exposed so we used thick socks and over boots inside wellies. A nice touch was a mirror in the hip belt to see if they were still alive
 Alyson 17 Feb 2014
In reply to ollieollie:

I'm currently using the Osprey Poco Plus and it's absolutely fantastic, I would definitely recommend it. Well designed, super stable and easy to operate. Until she was strong enough to be in a backpack carrier (usually 6months ish) I used an ergobaby front carrier which is still very useful for shorter trips to the shops and stuff.
 ben b 17 Feb 2014
In reply to ollieollie:

Basically we - and everyone we know - used a Macpac Possum, or if someone else was buying they got a Macpac Vamoose....

Main issue is keeping them very warm indeed. All enveloping fleece or buffalos are pretty good.

b
 Bobling 17 Feb 2014
In reply to ben b:

We have a Vaude Jolly Comfort II which did the job for longer walks once the wee chap(ess) is big enough to fit in it. When trying them on I noticed immediately how comfortably it fitted, felt like a normal expedition pack unlike some of the others which were not nearly so comfy. I love the luggage space too, you get to throw the change kit/snack bag and other bits and bobs in there. The rain shelter is a bit of a fiddle and does leave their legs exposed, this is one deficiency.

I put #2 in it for the first time yesterday and had happy memories flood back of humping #1 around, carriers are such nice pieces of kit to have.

BUT when we bought our Vaude the Osprey was not on the market and when I picked one up in a shop I almost wept at how light the Osprey felt. I think if I was buying one now this would be the one I'd go for if the bells and whistles are all good (which I imagine they will be knowing Osprey).

Lastly as others have said do pick up a mirror to keep in the waist belt so you can check on little one from time to time, but don't walk into any lamp posts when doing so! I think both our mirrors have been from the pound shop so don't worry if the pack does not come with one as standard.
M0nkey 17 Feb 2014
In reply to ollieollie:

I recommend the deuter one. It is well padded so comfortable to carry, but the clincher for me was the excellent rain canopy for the little'un. I was out with the kids on saturday in driving rain and hail and the younger one (who was in the deuter) slept through it all in total comfort.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...