Moody Scottish Photography

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Alex Purser 12 Feb 2014
My cousin (photographer but not outdoorsman) wants to take some photos in Scotland this summer. He says he wants moody landscapes and moody weather. I’m going along to lug gear and get him to locations. We’ve got 2 weeks, a van and an open canoe.

Suggestions for locations (extremities and islands included)?
JinjaCoo 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Alex Purser:

Canoe? Rannoch Moor, either in from A82 across Loch Ba to get some less visited view points, or in from Rannoch Station across Loch Laidon for same. Lovely camping spots and views. The latter will be aided a lot by a trolley for the 1km portage from station to loch side launch point. Easy pulling on a 4*4 track.
 JamesRoddie 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Alex Purser:

Pretty endless opportunities in the Minginish area of Skye, it is probably one of the best places for photography in Scotland. Opportunities for good and moody photography in most weathers.

Brian 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Alex Purser:

Inverpolly !
 Jon Read 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Brian:

Seconded. Loch Sionasgaig and Suilven. However! Summer = midges, moody = bad weather, or at least some cloud cover. Good luck.

Douglas Griffin 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Jon Read:

Summer doesn't always mean midges. Inverpolly offers fantastic potential for photography, and I'd guess for canoeing as well.
Graeme G 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Alex Purser:

Dava Moor. Great views over the Spey Valley to the Cairngorms from the hills above Lochindorb.

tony 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Alex Purser:

North and South Uist, and Harris. Lots of barren landscapes, and lots of water, and there's a reasonable chances of moody weather (although I do know they were suffering a drought last year (year before?) when the rest of the country was being deluged.
 Jon Read 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Dick Low Fenwick:

Ha! Very good.
 butteredfrog 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Alex Purser:

SNP are looking a bit moody this morning.
Alex Purser 14 Feb 2014
More of this sort of thing please.
Rigid Raider 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Alex Purser:

Definitely Loch Coruisk on Skye, the most moody, lonely, brooding and unspoiled place in the British Islands. Some amazing geology where the river takes a short trip out of the loch, over flat glacial slabs and pours straight into the sea. Take the boat from Elgol ad stay the night at Camasunary bothy in the next bay then walk out.
Alex Purser 20 Feb 2014
Thanks for all answers so far. My cousin (the photography talent) is watching with interest.

There's no need for the boating/walking to be particularly interesting. They're just the methods to get him to the good locations.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...