Recommend me a belay mitt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jerry67 02 Feb 2014
As per the title really, a mitt that is warm, reasonably dexterous and reasonably waterproof. I've always found that if the ropes are snowy/icy/wet, then no gloves stay dry. Maybe the answer is more than one pair of mitts! Any thoughts?
Cheers, Jerry
In reply to Jerry67:

Hestra mitts are my glove of choice although not waterproof (some are however), but you can change the liners easily. The thing I like about Hestra gloves generally is they come in more sizes. Not just S,M,L but sizes 1 to 11. I take a size 9, which is between M and L and therefore gives good warmth to dexterity ratio. They have leather palms and are quite soft compared to BD.

Another alternative is the Lobster type glove / mitt. I use ones by Black Diamond, they are very well made and have a thinner palm glove that gives better dexterity (although if walking in -15 you do get cold inner hands. Hestra make a lobster glove / mitt that is softer than the BD.

I have also a pair BD mercury mitts, warm and not very dexterous and not so good with rope handling. i mainly use them for dogsledding.

To be honest the best mitts I have are the ones my wife's aunty made for me a few Christmases back. They are thicker than Dachstein Mitts and have a cool pattern on them, when paired with an outer glove keep my hands warm to -15 and more. Stay warm when wet. The dogsledders I know mainly use woolen mitts, and when really cold two pairs with just a cotton outer.

Needle sports website has a good selection of mitts for sale.

CurlyStevo 02 Feb 2014
In reply to Jerry67:
outdoordesigns summit inferno mitts are great and very good value. Warm fully waterproof hard wearing and a very cosy lining. Fine for belaying in....

I got mine a few years ago after a recommendation on here.
Post edited at 11:29

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...