merino or wool/synthetic blend?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 25 Jan 2014
I used to have an endura baa baa merino top that i wore to death, ive now got a north face polypropylene top which is nearing the end of its life.

I liked the merino, it never smells and stays warm, the polypro was warmer when wet and was a bit more abrasion resistant (bag straps etc)

Is there any benefit in getting a 50/50 merino/poly blend or is this just to make the clothing cheaper?

ta
 forcan 25 Jan 2014
In reply to ow arm:

It's one of these "everyone's different" answers... I prefer merino in winter, and synthetics in summer, but that's just me. Buy one and try it?
 AlanLittle 25 Jan 2014
In reply to ow arm:

I have a Patagonia merino/poly mix shirt that is my favourite base layer ever. Depends a lot on your skin I think - I am very sensitive to wool and have never found a pure merino top that I could wear comfortably.
 GridNorth 25 Jan 2014
In reply to ow arm:

The problem with merino for me is that it takes a long time to dry after washing which makes it impractical for multi day trips.
OP The Potato 25 Jan 2014
In reply to ow arm:

thanks for the input, im not sensitive so not a problem, good reminder on the drying time id forgotten bout that.
OP The Potato 25 Jan 2014
In reply to AlanLittle:
how do you find its odour resistance compared to others?
i dont generally smell much but i like to have one top i can wear again and again without having to put it through the wash like with fully synthetic tops. they seem to generate a smell all on their own
 AlanLittle 25 Jan 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Odour resistance of the merino/poly mix top I have is pretty good - I can wear it for a few days without it getting too offensive. Which is good because I generally hand wash it rather carefully, whereas synthetics I throw in the machine every single time I use them.
In reply to ow arm:

My problem with merino is its fragility. I have loads of synthetic base layers (some very ancient), and they have snags, pulls, road rash holes, etc, but I've never once had to apply needle and thread to prevent further damage.

My MAPP merino items have just about all developed holes that very quickly run, so that I've had to darn them all. I'm pretty sure that the saying "a stitch in time saves nine" originally applied to knitted garments.

Which is a shame, because I love the low-odour qualities, compared with PP and PET. Given how expensive the stuff is, and how fragile I find it, I don't think I'll be buying any more.
 crayefish 27 Jan 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

> The problem with merino for me is that it takes a long time to dry after washing which makes it impractical for multi day trips.

Exactly why I stick to synthetic or silk as rarely do a single day trip.
 BnB 27 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

Surely the point is that you don't need to wash merino? But the ease of drying of synthetics is a boon in winter when a sweaty shirt can condemn you to some freezing belays.
 crayefish 27 Jan 2014
In reply to BnB:

Sorry, I didn't mean I washed them (well I do, just not during a trip. lol), just that for multi day trips they dry easier when sweated in profusely
 BnB 27 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

And less itchy too.
 nufkin 28 Jan 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:

> My MAPP merino items have just about all developed holes that very quickly run, so that I've had to darn them all. I'm pretty sure that the saying "a stitch in time saves nine" originally applied to knitted garments.

Doesn't help for genuine snags, but keeping merino stuff in vacuum bags keeps the moths out, which seem to have been the cause of lots of the holes in my merino stuff.

For what it's worth, so far none of my merino/synthetic mix clothes have suffered moth damage
In reply to nufkin:

Yes, I store my merino stuff in sealed bags, too, but the damage isn't due to insects or their larvae*, it's due to mechanical failure of the yarn.

* the most common cause of damage to woollen items is the larva of the carpet beetle, aka the woolly bear:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varied_carpet_beetle

I find these and the beetles around the house, and kill them when I find them. Maybe I need to encourage some Laelius pedatus wasps to come and live in my house...
OP The Potato 29 Jan 2014
In reply to ow arm:

I went for a Trekmates L/S fusion top as it was a good price £23, has thumb holes to help keep my hands warmer with their crappy circulation, and is 50/50 merino/PP

Ive just worn it under a Rab VR pullover which was a bit warm, after 6 miles it hardly has any odour, and im interested to see what itll be like by tomorrow. Merino ones loose their smell whereas PP smell more when dried.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...