JetBoil Flash problems?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CharlieMack 05 Jan 2014
I am on my 3rd Jetboil flash that doesn't work!

Bought one last year that started, but then proceeded to flare up the outside of the flask (on the neoprene sleeve) and then the flame adjuster fell off! So i returned it. The second one just wouldn't start, straight out of the box in store. I hadn't touched it, i asked the manager to show me it's operation, in case i was doing something wrong. It wouldn't do anything straight from the box, so i just asked for a refund.
This winter my current stove died, so i thought i'd punt again and get a jetboil since, if they work, they are really convenient and pack into themselves etc. So got one for xmas, and low and behold, when i start it up, it flares a little, then goes out. Now no gas goes through the burner unit, and i can't do anything with it.

So yet again, i'm forced to return it to the shop!
Has anyone else had any sort of similar problems, or am i just extremely unlucky?! I mean, how hard can it be, screw in the gas, turn it on, and ignite...
 PPP 05 Jan 2014
In reply to CharlieMack:

You might screw it too tightly and then the stove screw gets broken. Try to turn the stove on and only then start screwing the gas cylinder on the stove. As soon as you hear the gas coming out, it's enough (or a little bit more, but not too much).

I had the same problem with gas stove, too. My friends tried to fix it and eventually the gas cylinder was set up on fire next to the church. Never used any gas stoves from that moment, too many things might go wrong. I have been using solid fuel stove Esbit Cookset 585ml - it is lighter (as you can take just few tablets for a one day trip), bombproof and stupidproof. Many solid fuel stoves have problems in windy conditions, but this one works amazingly well (I put it between rocks or near rucksack if it is extremely windy).
 TobyA 05 Jan 2014
In reply to CharlieMack:

Maybe unlucky? Or maybe I've been super lucky in that my Jetboil is about 8 years old and has always worked perfectly - just super easy to do use.
Jim C 05 Jan 2014
In reply to TobyA:

> Maybe unlucky? Or maybe I've been super lucky in that my Jetboil is about 8 years old and has always worked perfectly - just super easy to do use.

Or equally well there could now be a build quality issue with newer versions.

Companies are always cutting costs( and corners)
 gilliesp 07 Jan 2014
In reply to Jim C:

I have never experienced your problems with my stove but I have other issues. The self ignition rarely works on mine unless it is used in warm, dry weather. This aspect is a waste of money. However with a full gas cannister it boils liquids rapidly. If you try to heat anything else (tin of curry) there is no real simmer control so burning occurs. The protective base cup for measuring/drinking cracks readily. It certainly has its good points but I would have to give serious consideration to future purchases.
OP CharlieMack 08 Jan 2014
In reply to CharlieMack:

I've taken it back and just swapped it for an msr whisperlite universal. Not great for quick brews, but think it will serve me better all round. Just going to take the trusty asda thermos for my coffee!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...