Another Edelrid Megajoule belay device failure

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kai 02 Jan 2014
I've now had two Edelrid Joule belay devices fail.

My Microjoule had the thumb loop separate and come off while abseiling.

See thread here:

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=570181&v=1#x7581416

Today, my Megajoule failed in the same way. This time when my belayer was lowering me off of a climb. Thumb loop just came off.

I'm pretty disappointed with Edelrid's quality control on these devices.

In reply to Kai:

I am locking this thread for the time being and bringing it to the attention of Edelrid.

Alan
I have been sent the following reply from Edelrid:

We are sorry to hear about your repeated issues with the EDELRID Mega Jul belay device. From what you have described it sounds as though the devices you have used came from the initial batch production. Unfortunately there have been instances with this batch wherein a slightly weakened pressing has caused the thumb loop to become detached. Whilst the thumb loop is not a safety-critical element we recognise that it is vital to ensure the correct functionality of the device.

With this in mind we would ask you to get in touch with us directly by emailing mail@edelrid.de reiterating the problem you have experienced with your device and also providing us with the batch number which is visible on your Mega Jul. This will take the following format – XX / YY (e.g. 02 / 13). Once we receive this information we will be able to recall the product for analysis and issue you with a replacement unit.

We would like to take this opportunity to inform you that we are continually working to improve the quality of our products and that the issue you have described here no longer affects current production of the Mega Jul belay device, due to changes we have made to the strength of the pressing.

Thank you for your patience and understanding in this matter, and we look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Kind Regards,

EDELRID
OP Kai 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Kai:

My devices (2 Micro Juls and 2 Mega Juls) all were from the 1/13 or 2/13 batches.

I've already returned them to my local Edelrid rep (Scarpa N.A.) and they are replacing them with devices from the non-affected batches.

Hoping for better results going forward, as I really like the performance of the Jul devices, other than the faulty wire. (And the Micro Jul is the only device that really works well with my super skinny Edelrid Flycatcher ropes.)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...