Child/baby carrier

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 erc1 20 Nov 2013
We're looking for a child carrier/rucksack, anyone have any recommendations? Looked at the Deuter/LittleLife ones, there's just a lot of choice and they all look good!

We go for plenty of walks/hikes with our dogs so looking for something comfortable and that we can use with the baby, and when it grows up a bit and can't walk as far as us.
 deanstonmassif 20 Nov 2013
In reply to erc1:

We had a MacPac one which was very comfortable and supportive. Even had a wee plastic mirror secreted in the waistband pocket, so that you could easily check up on the payload. Plenty of storage space for coats, nappy changing kit, drink etc as well. My younger brother now has it and it is still as good a new.

My wife fell and broke her shoulder in 3 places whilst wearing it with 8 month old on board; baby was fine thanks to the harness and high collar/back to the rucksack. It was in the High Street, before you ask.

Getting one with a waterproof hood extension would be worthwhile; we managed without but our daughter is the prototype readibrek kid and got by with a waterproof suit.

Nick
 zebidee 20 Nov 2013
In reply to erc1:
> We're looking for a child carrier/rucksack, anyone have any recommendations? Looked at the Deuter/LittleLife ones, there's just a lot of choice and they all look good!

My recommendation would be to go with MacPac as well - they make Rucksacks and so know what they're doing when it comes to carrying lots of weight on your back.

We got ours second hand at an NCT sale & it was great. All the foamy bits are unclickable so can be washed; decent hip-belt for carrying the load and the wee mirror is ace.

OP erc1 20 Nov 2013
In reply to deanstonmassif: Thank you. Your poor wife, how scary! Glad baby was protected well though. Any idea which model you had?
OP erc1 20 Nov 2013
In reply to zebidee: Great to have another recommendation for this, do you know what model you have? We will find a stockist and go and try them on.
 Armadillo 20 Nov 2013
In reply to erc1:

We have one of the Deuter Comfort ones. Got it on recommendation from a friend and have been pleased with it so far. We got a deal at the time that threw in an extra rain cover so we ended up with the sun canopy and a fuller rain one as well. No major dramas with it, but it has been fairly comfortable to carry.
 drolex 20 Nov 2013
In reply to erc1: I have a deuter kidconfort, very happy with it. Our little one loves to travel in it. She has climbed to Pen-y-Ghent, Kinder Scout and various Pyrénées peaks in it. It is a nice thing to carry as long as you are walking I find (especially upwards) but I don't like to stop with it, it breaks my back. I don't know if it is the same for other brands.

I would recommend a pair of walking poles if you don't already have one, it helps!
 d508934 20 Nov 2013
In reply to erc1:

the two top end rolls royce type models seem to the deuter kid comfort 3 and the top macpac one, not sure the model. dan bailey did a great review of the deuter one, which along with wider availability and silly go outdoors prices at the time persuaded me to get the deuter. when still comparing the two it seemed that the only difference was the macpac had a slightly larger storage compartment (30 litres vs 25 in the deuter), but now I've got the deuter the main disadvantage is the sheer size of it. pretty mahoosive, when adding onto all the other stuff required for a family holiday it becomes difficult to fit in the car! whereas the macpac one, when i've seen others using it, seems to be a smaller unit which has to be an advantage. i live in a small terrace house as well, so again storage space is at a premium, the deuter one takes up a fair bit of space in cupboard under the stairs.

other than the size it's high quality though, great wind/rain cover. don't really use it that much tbh, last time my little toddler just wanted to be on his own two feet, need to give it another bash really.
 Alyson 20 Nov 2013
In reply to erc1: After talking to the very knowledgeable staff out Outside in Hathersage we decided on the Osprey Poco Plus. The biggest advantage over the LittleLife being its stability when stood upright on the ground. However our little one isn't yet big enough to be carried in it so I can't report back yet!
OP erc1 20 Nov 2013
In reply to d508934:

This is great, thanks. Space is an issue for us too, so will bear that in mind. So now I will go and look at the Osprey Poco Plus, the MacPac and the Deuter.

Thanks for the opinions so far everyone, nothing like a real life opinion for these sorts of purchases.
 Guy 20 Nov 2013
In reply to erc1: We got one of the Littlelife Voyagers and I have had no complaints from mini me. I carried her up Blencathra and she sat comfortably for the 4.5 hrs she was in it. I found it comfortable aconsidering the fact I was carrying 20kg. I think one of the main points for me is that range of adjustment on the back is large so I can get it to fit me (short) or someone large like a bunch of my mates.
 d508934 20 Nov 2013
In reply to erc1:

yeah, i never considered the osprey ones, just missed them i think.

deuter 3 review here:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=4322
 Guy 20 Nov 2013
In reply to Alyson: Stability on the ground is a very minor concern as I would never let go of it when off my back and with little one in it, just too much risk.
 Leonard Tedd 20 Nov 2013
In reply to Guy:

+1 vote of confidence in the Osprey Poco Plus. Very stable when upright (Guy - I do find this to be very helpful). My daughter is happy in it for long periods (One reason for the upgrade from a ropey old VauDe was for kid comfort as much as comfort for the load bearer). Great integral sunshade, good weather proofing. helpful amount of storage. Cotswolds did a price-match which saved some £.

L
 Matt Vigg 20 Nov 2013
In reply to erc1:

For babies you need to make sure whatever you get allows their hips to be in the right position otherwise the hips can be damaged, see at the bottom here:

http://hipdysplasia.org/developmental-dysplasia-of-the-hip/prevention/baby-...

We've ended up with an ergo baby carrier which my wife (who is now a world expert on these things) assures me is the best there is. Having said that we were lucky enough to be able to borrow 4 or 5 different carriers and try them out, you may find your little one prefers one over another so if you can try some then it's worth doing.

Pretty sure you won't get one that'll do for a very little baby and a small toddler unfortunately, you'll need to get two.
 ChrisJD 20 Nov 2013
In reply to erc1:

We had and used MacPacs and LittleOnes (two boys, 18 months apart).

But the best one for general use was Ergo (watch out for fakes, buy from known source)

And the Egos is all fabric, so easy to store and carry.

The MacPac was awesome in full-on outdoor weather mind.
OP erc1 20 Nov 2013
In reply to Matt Vigg: Thanks, we do have a fabric type sling too for a small baby and short walks, but looking for something more substantial for longer days out. Thanks for the link - interesting, so much to think about!
 georgeb 20 Nov 2013
In reply to erc1: another vote for the mac pac. brilliant carrier.
In reply to erc1: a +1 for ergo and macpac from my experience of both.
 alasdair19 21 Nov 2013
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat: ergo is excellent, big jacket goes over the top of junior at moment, and am spending a fair amount of time stomping round the house getting him to sleep so it must be comfortable.

don't really get on with the rucksack ones. bear in mind that a 2 year old is 15kgs so your window of carrying may be fairly short....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...