sherpa fight witness ama on reddit right now

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 franksnb 16 Oct 2013

says he sides with the sherpas..?

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1oj99h/i_just_climbed_mt_everest_real...

ask him a question
Clauso 16 Oct 2013
In reply to franksnb:

I can't get access to Reddit at work. Can you ask him the following, on my behalf:

"What's your favourite owl?"
 L.A. 16 Oct 2013
In reply to Clauso:
Strix newarensis
 TobyA 16 Oct 2013
In reply to franksnb: I think his description of the 'fight' is very one sided too, he was witness to one bit of it maybe but not how it started and his explanation of that is hearsay.

I did ask him some questions one which he responded to with:

"One ascender on the line and no ice axe. I carried the axe with me the whole way but never once used it. It was more for the worst-case scenario, if an avalanche ruined the route or if an ice screw came out."

It's what I suspected but didn't know for certain. You don't need an ice axe to climb Everest anymore. Sort of says it all I think.
myth 16 Oct 2013
In reply to franksnb: not read most of it. But from what I have read he comes across as a melodramatic self publicist who wants to win a competition. I'm not sure his motives are genuine.
 crustypunkuk 16 Oct 2013
In reply to TobyA:
I went to see the reel rock tour on saturday past, and the final film is about this incident and includes clips of Jon Griffiths' footage taken during the actual incident.
This guy on reddit claims to have heard the details from a western guide who was on the rope fixing team- there was no western guide on the team involved, they were all Sherpa.
He also claims to have witnessed the follow up at camp 2 where a few Sherpa threw stones at Steck/Moro/Griffiths' tent- Having seen the footage of that part too, it was definitely more than a few! It was a baying mob 30-40 strong throwing stones, punches, kicks and spitting. Looked well hairy to me, and i'm a big hairy arsed ruffty tuffty Scotsman.
Incidentally, it turns out Steck and Moro's objective was a traverse of Everest via the west ridge and continuing over Lhotse without O2.
In reply to franksnb:

Let's face it, the guy's someone who paid to climb Everest, therefore he's a pillock. It's the mountaineering equivalent of shooting a stag.

jcm
 Dave 88 16 Oct 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Don't often agree wih your views John; yet here we are!
 Dave 88 16 Oct 2013
In reply to Dave 88:

I've just scanned that thread and that bloke is unbearable.
 andrewmc 17 Oct 2013
In reply to franksnb:

Well what I have learned is that Everest is basically a 30ft climb (Hillary Step) with a bit of a tricky walk-in :P

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...