One Cat and three Kittens

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 scoobydougan 26 Jul 2013
There's a beautiful tabby with 3 kittens sat outside our office door, unfortunately I'm knocking the building down in a fortnight. I've tried the Cats protection league and several other local charities but they are all full, with massive waiting lists. Anyone want a cat or kitten or have any bright ideas?
Karl
 Chris Harris 26 Jul 2013
In reply to scoobydougan:

1 cat cut in serving-sized pieces dusted in flour with salt and pepper
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
6 artichokes
2 1/4" thick slices of slab bacon, diced
1 small sweet onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 carrot, diced
1 lemon
3 small tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
1/2 c. dry white wine
2-4 c. homemade chicken broth
garni of 4 flat parsley stems, 6 leafy thyme branches, 1 bay leaf tied up with kitchen twine Salt and pepper
1/4 c chopped flat-leaf parsley (optional)

Snap the leaves off the artichokes until only the tender inner leaves remain. Snap off the stem. Trim the remaining green bits from the bottom of the artichoke, and cut off the inner leaves in a bunch at the point where they are very tender. Pare the tough green outer layer off the remaining stem, pairing the stem into a point. Now cut the artichoke bottom into quarters and remove the choke with a sharp knife from each quarter. Rinse to remove any traces of foin ("hay") and drop them into a bowl of water acidulated with the juice of half a lemon.

Heat 2 T olive oil in a large heavy casserole or Dutch oven. Dredge the cat pieces in seasoned flour, shaking off excess. Brown over medium heat, turning regularly, until golden on all sides. Remove cat pieces to a plate and dump any oil remaining in the pan. Add 1 T of the remaining oil and the bacon dice. (Omit bacon if you only have access to the thin-sliced vacuum packed supermarket variety.) Sauté until cooked but not "crisp". Add the remaining T of oil and the onion and carrot. Saute for 5 minutes, then add the artichoke quarters and the garlic, stir one minute, and add the tomatoes and the white wine. Turn up the heat and reduce until syrupy, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes. Lay the bouquet garni on top of the vegetables. Arrange the cat pieces on top, together with any juice accumulated in the plate.

Pour in enough broth to come halfway up the sides of the cat pieces. Cover and bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer over very low heat about 1 hour or cook in the oven at 350 degrees for the same amount of time. The cat should be just tender and part readily from the bone. Don't overcook or it will become dry. Check the liquid level frequently and add more broth if necessary. Turn the cat pieces once.

When done, remove the cat pieces to a warm platter and arrange the vegetables, removed with a slotted spoon, around them. Cover and keep warm. Strain the remaining pan juices into a smaller saucepan and reduce over high heat, skimming frequently, until reduced by 1/3. Pour over the platter and serve immediately. Sprinkle with finely chopped flat-leaf parsley if you like.
 Tall Clare 26 Jul 2013

What about Gumtree, Preloved, http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/ ? Notices in local newsagents/supermarkets?

Fingers crossed for them. Alas, I'm not allowed any more cats otherwise I'd take one of them off your hands.
OP scoobydougan 26 Jul 2013
In reply to Chris Harris
If you've got time to type all that crap, your obviously very short of something to do! how about adopting a cat? and or 1 or more kittens?
 MG 26 Jul 2013
In reply to scoobydougan: Sorry, I am fully catted too. I assume you have offered food and water in the short term?
In reply to Clare and MG
Good ideas and yes i'm feeding them, the lady from the cats protection league was concerned that if the kittens didn't have human contact they would never be sociable and as a consequence unattractive to potential new carers, so I've been trying to make friends.
 MG 26 Jul 2013
so I've been trying to make friends.

Ah, so you will have four cats soon. Good
In reply to scoobydougan: I've got two dogs Alfie who's a Red setter and loves eveything, "except ballons" and Geoffry Sausage who's a Patterdale and isn't very nice, he killed a hedgehog last year, so I can't have them.
 RockAngel 26 Jul 2013
In reply to scoobydougan: dont put ads on gumtree or any other free site offering the cat & kittens. Idiots who use their dogs for fighting use those sites to find cats & dogs offered for free so their dog can practise ripping them apart for fun. Put notices up in local pet shops
 Kimono 26 Jul 2013
In reply to RockAngel:
really??

jeez

<shakes head in sadness at the awfulness of his fellow man>
 Fraser 26 Jul 2013
In reply to RockAngel:

Agreed, GT = bad idea.

In reply to the OP:

Also try phoning local vets surgeries - they may have some ideas or know of local cat-charity types who could rehouse them.
 Tall Clare 26 Jul 2013
In reply to RockAngel:

Really? That's horrible!
In reply to scoobydougan: I was hoping there would be more "Oh yes I'd love a cat" responses, thousands of people look at this site surely someone could use a cat? preferably not in a recipe!
 Andrew Wilson 26 Jul 2013
Sounds like a feral family to me. Not great pets. I would stop feeding them and let them move on(if I thought they were feral).
In reply to scoobydougan: Thanks for that Andrew, I would imagine they'll go inter railing or something eh?
 Caralynh 27 Jul 2013
> (In reply to scoobydougan) I was hoping there would be more "Oh yes I'd love a cat" responses, thousands of people look at this site surely someone could use a cat? preferably not in a recipe!

Where are you? I would love another cat, but not sure how the current one would react. If you're nearish to me I'd consider it.

veteye 27 Jul 2013
In reply to Caralynh:
Yes where are you?
This is relevant to all on this site who may be interested in helping find a home for the cats.
There are many more cat charities than just CPL so this is another line of enquiry.
There are also dog and cat charities like Wood Green.
We would help if you were in our area(Vet surgery)
Also take photos and put out a sadness article in the local paper.Often the papers have less to report otherwise at this time of year.
OP scoobydougan 27 Jul 2013
In reply to scoobydougan: The cats are near Chorley in Lancashire, I've been contacting lots of other charities, apparently they are snowed under at the moment.
 gribble 27 Jul 2013

Would you consider a swap? One of our cats is a little bit bonkers. We would consider taking one (or even maybe two kittens off your hands in exchange for a slightly swivel-eyed attack cat. Part used, one careful if scarred owner.
 DNS 27 Jul 2013

There's a mad old woman who runs a cat 'sanctuary' in Chorley. Her mame escapes me, but if it comes to mind I'll PM you. For christ's sake don't take them there. I rehomed my late cat Sid from there and the overcrowded conditions gave him huge problems
streetfighterjeff 27 Jul 2013
In reply to Chris Harris: love it, love cats but that was funny. some one has a sense of humour the same as mine.
 Fraser 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Andrew Wilson:
> (In reply to scoobydougan)
> Sounds like a feral family to me. Not great pets.

I know what you're saying but speaking from personal experience, feral cats *can* make fantastic pets. We started out with one, who was the last survivor of a litter, born (ironically) in our bin store. A few years later he was joined by three more ferals, all siblings, taken in as 6 week old kittens, who all made great pets. Admittedly three out of the four of them were quite distant and very shy for a long time, but they all made a great contribution to our family. The last one is still with us 16 years on and is a lovely affectionate pet.

Of course not all ferals might turn out as domesticated as ours did, but it's not impossible.

Andrew Wilson 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Fraser:
I'm not sure if there is a difference between feral and stray. The 2 feral groups I have come accross have been much different. The first, which lived around a restaurant I worked at in Bolton abbey were very wild mannered. They were super alert, would stand up high when you approached and disappear in a flash as a group. They were always rummaging the bins. You would never catch one (to try and domesticate it) as they were so wary. I think they were quite happy too!
Another pair of white cats live at a derelict building site I have worked on recently. They are of the same manner. Completely wild, stare at you in the most peculiar way and then disappear into a hole in the wall. They do not behave like a domestic cat.
ceri 28 Jul 2013
In reply to scoobydougan: these guys may know someone locally who can help you if you post. I know it's a dog forum, but they seem to have a lot of contacts: http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/index.php?showforum=18
OP scoobydougan 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Andrew Wilson: I went into work today to feed them and the Mum came running up to me rubbing my legs and purring, I don't think she is what you call feral, she is defensive of the kittens but isn't that normal?, current status one kitten and mother down two to go!
ceri 28 Jul 2013
In reply to scoobydougan: well done for helping them. Sounds like a pet whose owners couldn't be bothered to get her neutered then dumped her when she got pregnant.
 Andrew Wilson 28 Jul 2013
Yes, she sounds quite tame! Good luck finding homes for them. Can you not get them a portakabin while the demolition takes place
 Philip 29 Jul 2013
Pest controller. They'll just be a nuisance for someone else. We have a cat living at work, it and other visitors leave a lot of mess.
OP scoobydougan 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Philip: Thanks Philip I hadn't thought of that
ceri 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Philip: What do you think a pest controller will do with unwanted cats? Take them home and love and cherish them? I think not.
 Philip 29 Jul 2013
In reply to ceri:

Dispatch them. As you would rats, stray dogs, pigeons.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...