Closed Via Ferrata (Klettersteig)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
1a1nC 13 Jul 2013
Hello All, after googling all the terms I can think of, looking up the members area of the AAC and trying to navigate the CAI website and finding only a cicerone blog from 2011, I was wondering of anyone knew of an up to date / regularly updated list of currently closed via ferrata for the brenta / trentino area? Or in fact any area for future reference?

The only options I can find presently are find the route or the nearest hut and ask / read the noticeboard, which I have already done once and it meant a wasted day walking down and driving somewhere else.

If not can we start one here?

VF Monte Albano is closed (since 2011) and still closed.. Some sort of local scandal over funding to repair it, to judge by the laminated newspaper articles.. My Italian is not good!

The cicerone blog said Rino Pisetta was closed in 2011, but it is open again (and looks like new cable at leas the start) as is the Castel Drena route.
 D.Andrew 13 Jul 2013
In reply to 1a1nC: I don't think Monte Albano is closed, I did it last May with a fair few other locals. There was no notices stating the route was closed.
 Mike-W-99 14 Jul 2013
In reply to 1a1nC:
This gives you the majority of the Cortina based routes.
http://www.guidedolomiti.com/eng/ferrata-open---closed.html
 Null 15 Jul 2013
In reply to 1a1nC:

I have done all the ones you mention various times while closed and when open. Often it's hard to notice the difference apart from a brief swerve to avoid the closed sign on the path (I have been in Italy a long time).

I did the nice little hard one on Doss D'Abramo a few months back (Giulio Segata on Monte Bondone) which was also closed (probably still is) and the big (ship grade) cables at the top did actually look pretty rusty.

The only one that I can think of that really is definitively closed is the Pero De Gasperi on the Palon of Monte Bondone because the buggers have dismantled it. This was not because of the ferrata itself (one of the best in the area) but the approach path, which had become an Eiger North Face experience with stonefall (after a big fire on the mountain face above). Very exciting running from safe area to safe area between volleys of rocks, with that amazing carbide and bad egg smell wafting about ! One section you had to sprint across the base of a big slab, the equivalent of the flatiron on the Eiger, worn smooth with continuous bombardment.
1a1nC 16 Jul 2013
Thanks for the info guys,

I did wonder with it being Italy how much the notices etc were just ignored, but without any local knowledge (or Italian language skills) hard to tell if a route is still do-able or if critical bits might be missing / fallen down, just cautious by nature i suppose.

" I don't think Monte Albano is closed, I did it last May with a fair few other locals. There was no notices stating the route was closed."

Lots of notices now - on the sign posts in the town, on the notice board in the picnic / bouldering area and then someone has taken all the signposts off the path to so you have to blunder about in overgrown scrub and bushes to try find the start, also some Italian newspaper articles laminated and attached to the noticeboard about what a scandal it is and how much money they need to do work on it? maybe the locals are just trign to keep it to themselves!

Null 16 Jul 2013
In reply to 1a1nC:
> Thanks for the info guys,
>

> " I don't think Monte Albano is closed,
> Lots of notices now - on the sign posts in the town, on the notice board in the picnic / bouldering area and then someone has taken all the signposts off the path to so you have to blunder about in overgrown scrub and bushes to try find the start,

It's a combination of arguing over who pays for repairs and the issue that as soon as someone reports a fault to the people who commissioned its construction then if they do not "react" to check that safety is still OK, then they become criminally liable in the case that any subsequent accident can be attributed to the unsafe state of the ferrata. Their only option other than repair is to "close" it. So then anybody who does go up is taking their own chances.

Very stupid and typically modern. In the future there will be no ferratas or climbing, just TV.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...