UKC

NEWS: UKC/UKH Readership Survey 2013 - Big Prizes!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 27 Feb 2013
Readership Survey 2013 - Prizes, 6 kbIn 2010 we carried out a readership survey and got a fantastic response with over 4500 replies. One of the outcomes of this Readership Survey was that we set up UKHillwalking.com in response to the number of our readers who stated that they were hillwalkers as well - in fact it was the second most...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67864
 JJL 27 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News:

How will you contct the prizewinners since the survey includes no personal info?
In reply to JJL:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> How will you contct the prizewinners since the survey includes no personal info?

The survey contains no personal info, but you must be logged in to complete it. The magic sorting hat knows you've completed the survey, and enters you into the comp.
In reply to Richard Alderton:
> The survey contains no personal info, but you must be logged in to complete it. The magic sorting hat knows you've completed the survey, and enters you into the comp.

Precisely. And we have the email associated with the profiles that we choose from the winners.

Alan
 martinph78 27 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News: Done. Not a bad survey compared to many we get on the forum. Well done.
 Reach>Talent 27 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News:
Nice survey, did you miss "Totem" off the gear list?
 Carolyn 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Doesn't let me own more than one phone, though
Tobbe 27 Feb 2013
Can people outside of UK win prices?
 LennyJ1 28 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News: Great Survey, good ideas on the second to last page.

Missed Teva on the gear list
In reply to Tobbe:
> Can people outside of UK win prices?

There will be prizes available for people outside the UK.

Due to the fact we have hillwalkers and climbers filling out surveys, we will be making a pool of prizes winners first to ensure that people don't get prizes they don't want. We also have a new prize potentially on offer which is location specific requiring the winner to travel so this wouldn't be suitable for someone overseas for example.

Alan
In reply to LennyJ1:
> Missed Teva on the gear list

Thanks. We have missed a few brands I think but I'll take note for future surveys.

Alan

1048 responses so far in 18 hours (including overnight for UK-based readers)!

A brilliant response and thanks to everyone who has taking the time so far.

Alan

Dave 88 28 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Good survey but any particular reason that in Q20 (clubs) only the army mountaineering association is mentioned?
In reply to Dave 88:
> Good survey but any particular reason that in Q20 (clubs) only the army mountaineering association is mentioned?

The clubs specifically listed there are the main national clubs. We included the AMA since I was aware that they have a massive membership. There may be other national clubs that we have missed. If so, feel free to mention them here for future reference.

Alan
 Dave 88 28 Feb 2013
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Well, for example, the oldest of the tri-service mountaineering associations; the RAF Mountaineering Association.
BPT@work 28 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Q4 How often approximately do you go climbing outside during the season? choose one
More than twice a week
Usually just at weekends
Once or twice a month
Less than once a month

If you go once or twice a week but not at week-ends?
 Simon Caldwell 28 Feb 2013
In reply to BPT@work:

Or once midweek and once at the weekend.
 HarmM 28 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News: any chance you could post the demographics for users to view?

i'd be quite intrested to see them
In reply to HarmM:
> (In reply to UKC News) any chance you could post the demographics for users to view?
>
> i'd be quite intrested to see them

I'll do a full report for this one. I wanted to do a full article for the last one in 2010 but never got round to it although we did do an analysis for the trade and our media kit (which those graphics in the news item are taken from).

Alan
 HarmM 28 Feb 2013
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax: cheers
 ebygomm 28 Feb 2013
In reply to Carolyn:

Nor does it allow you to have a smartphone that's not an iphone or an android

(In one part of the survey, although that's an option for different questions later on.)
 Jonny2vests 28 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Where did you get your exchange rates for sterling to dollars? I've been away for a while, but its not 1:2 surely?

Re the question about new forum features. Just wondered why emoticons had to be animated - most are static so if part of a sprite table wouldn't add much to the download of a page (probably 20Kb or so) and then it would be cached.

ALC
 cuppatea 01 Mar 2013
In reply to UKC News:

I ticked to say I used a bridge camera, but the one I use doesn't have interchangeable lenses. Do any of them?

Of course changing any of the questions after the survey has started skews the results..
 Iona 03 Mar 2013
In reply to UKC News: Nor does it let you live both in the UK and abroad - I live half and half.
 Denni 03 Mar 2013
In reply to Iona:

I have done the survey but as for what job, I'm not employed, I'm not unemployed, nor a student, retired etc, I'm a stay at home dad and I'm sure there are a lot of people on here who are stay at home parents through choice.
Jimbo W 03 Mar 2013
In reply to Denni:

[quick hijack]
> I'm a stay at home dad and I'm sure there are a lot of people on here who are stay at home parents through choice.

Good for you mate. How's that going. Are you looking after the sprogs, or do they nursery or both? How do you find it?
[/quick hijack]
In reply to Denni:
> I have done the survey but as for what job, I'm not employed, I'm not unemployed, nor a student, retired etc, I'm a stay at home dad and I'm sure there are a lot of people on here who are stay at home parents through choice.

I think for the purpose of this survey the tag 'unemployed' would suffice for your answer. We aren't going to do any political analysis based on these results, it is more to get a general idea of reader's employment status.

Alan
 Blue Straggler 04 Mar 2013
In reply to cuppatea:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> I ticked to say I used a bridge camera, but the one I use doesn't have interchangeable lenses. Do any of them?
>

I spotted that. I think Alan means things like the Olympus PEN or Sony NEX series. SLR means it has a mirror. I guess some high end digital rangefinders have interchangeable lenses too, so I suppose the question is about "high end non-SLR" cameras. I think you ticked the best box for your camera (this style of camera I guess: http://www.pluckpoint.com/images/newimages/sony-dsc-hx200vb-18.2mp-bridge-c... ) , and perhaps Alan should have omitted the "interchangeable lenses" bit?
 cuppatea 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Thankee! You've satisfied my curiosity, I shall have a google and drool over Olympus PEN and Sony NEX cameras
 Blue Straggler 04 Mar 2013
In reply to cuppatea:

You're welcome, and you did well to unravel my rather incoherent post there (just re-read it, it doesn't scan well AT ALL and assumes a bit of knowledge on the reader's behalf....but sounds like you "got it"!)
 Denni 05 Mar 2013
> (In reply to Denni)
> [...]
>
> I think for the purpose of this survey the tag 'unemployed' would suffice for your answer. We aren't going to do any political analysis based on these results, it is more to get a general idea of reader's employment status.
>
> Alan

Hi Alan,
Thanks for the reply but surely if you're trying to get an idea of readers employment status then it is going to be incorrect? I'm not on some sort of crusade but I bet there are a lot of people on here who are stay at home parents and not unemployed?

Have dome ideas if any good?
Articles on;

A guide to buying second hand gear ( may not be the best subject, H&S and all that)
A guide to buying children's gear
An article on child friendly crags, good crags for families

Or maybe advertise for people to submit these types, and other, articles for a wee prize? Ie the UKC t shirt which I hope is going to be immediately reintroduced!

Thanks for all your efforts, Den
 Denni 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Jimbo W:

Jumbo,
Heading out the door but I'll drop you a long winded essay later!
Den
 MCass 05 Mar 2013

Just filled out the survey, fairly straight forward but one minor quibble was that in the detail tabs for smaller retailers/chains there was not enough room too fill in multiple shops.

Cheers
Mark
Jimbo W 06 Mar 2013
In reply to Denni:

Cheers, that'd be good.
 TimB 07 Mar 2013

Missed out "Grimper" for French mags - I never buy Vertical, but sometimes buy Grimper.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...