Irritated toes (foot care and socks advice, sorry!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 martinph78 25 Feb 2013
Hi all,

Sorry for the dull question but I'm sure someone else has gone through this so hope it's not too far off topic.

All of my normal sports socks (Slazenger/Donnay and such) are making a right mess of my toes. Not blisters, more like purple looking and "peeling skin" across the tops and ends of each toe.

Any tips for "relief" as they get quite irritated/itchy after the run and especially after my shower or when warm. No signs of athletes foot or other, just purple and peeling (and not between the toes).

Trainers fit fine so pretty sure it's the socks?

Anyone recommend a "hiking type sock" for running? Something quite padded and above ankle height (ie normal socks!) and super soft/comfy.

My Bridgedale Trekkers were very comfortable last week for a 10k run but I don't really want to wear these out and they are a bit warm!

I can't afford to spend a lot as I need quite a few pairs (I run 4-5 times a week so need 3 pairs for under £20 really).

The New NickB 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Martin1978:

Get some proper running socks, generic ports socks are just cheap and nasty, splash out on merino if you want, but most people at my club swear by the Aldi running socks.
 The New NickB 25 Feb 2013
In reply to The New NickB:

Aldi ones are £3 a pair, should be able to get a hilly pair for £6/7.
OP martinph78 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Martin1978:

Thanks guys, will try Aldi, haven't looked in there.

I was just looking at these as they look a "proper length" sock to me, don't like those trainer socks, like my ankles covered:

http://www.sportsdirect.com/nike-anti-blister-running-socks-411160

Just done a search for Hilly socks and they seem quite expensive (or out of stock for the cheap ones!).

Wonrek 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Martin1978: Thankfully I don't have feet issues, whether thats luck or good hear choices who knows because I'm not shy of high mileage on shitty terrain.

Anyway my favourites of the moment are the Inov8 Prosock, two pairs for £11 and Pete Bland are doing 10% off atm, win!
OP martinph78 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Martin1978: Thanks, just found some "More Mile" socks for £7.95 for five pairs from Start Fitness. Going to take a punt on those I think. Having asked the question I have now realised how poor my current socks are!
 Curry 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Martin1978:

I really like the socks from Running Bear, they're based in Cheshire, great service, their lambswool socks are awesome value £10 for 3 pairs. I rotate 3 pairs, could probably do with a proper 'wool' wash but they're lasting pretty well at the moment. The black ones are sold out at the moment but the jazzy coloured ones are there if that's your thing!
 colina 25 Feb 2013
google "thorlo" socks they do s great range of sport/hiking socks

]#
 Aly 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Martin1978: Running socks might help, but have you tried a dollop of vaseline over the ends of your toes before you head out for a run? A bit on your heels can help too if they are susceptible to a wee bit of rubbing.
 Nigel Evans 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Martin1978:
Martin, I'm sure decent socks will be of benefit but peeling skin and itchiness as you describe ARE SYMPTOMS of athletes foot. Get it treated is the only way to really sort it.
 wbo 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Martin1978: As above, clean that up.
Then try a lot of different socks - some people like thick, some like thin. I prefer the latter and the nike ones are cheap, last and work well.

It's a bit personal. I got destroyed by twin layer anti blister socks. The vaseline trick as described also works well, or leads to a disaster with not much inbetween,
OP martinph78 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Martin1978: Thanks all, I will try the vasaline and other recommendations above.

I'm pretty sure it's not athletes foot (if anything it looks more like chillblanes). I shall go to a chemist today though and see what they say.

It looks clearer today (I didn't run yesterday and biked Sunday). I can wear my hiking socks for the next few days whilst I find new socks. Need some new "everyday socks" as well now - just binned 10 pairs of those slazenger socks (they are really sh*t now I'm looking at them!) so will be going shoping later!

It's about time I took it seriously as I want to start ramping up the mileage.

Cheers, Martin

OP martinph78 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Martin1978: Just to say thanks for the above. Turns out my toes were knackered were due to rubbish socks.

I did my longest run ever in new socks last-night (1h 15m) and was only left with a small bilster on the underside of one toe. That didn't happen until 50mins in and I kept running as it wasn't painful.

Good result though! No peeling skin or itchy/irritated feet afterwards and my feet look loads, loads better since not wearing the slazenger socks for the week (wore them everyday, not just for running).

The More-Mile socks are really, really thin though so I will try the padded Nike running socks next (didn't have any in Sports Direct) as I think they should be perfect (should prevent the blister under my toe)

Learned a very valuable lesson though, NEVER buy multi-packs of cheap sports socks again. 10 pairs are now in the bin!!

Let the miles increase!

Thanks all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...